Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 01:45 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,773,252 times

Advertisements

do they do anything for a persons health? People used to say that toxins were sweat out during a sauna but then other people say that it isn't true a person just sweats water out of your system. So what conclusion have you come to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 03:25 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
I was a member at gyms for many yrs of my life and some gyms had saunas and I used them and felt good about it. I could NEVER use steam baths, thinking back the reason is I could not breath in them. I have not used either in yrs and so no plans to do so.

A side note while my sil was doing chemo for cancer, he got so many suggestions from friends/family and one was a sauna to get the chemo drug toxins out of body. He bought a home sauna but he didn't make it, 6 months and he was gone.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:40 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
I own a radiant sauna and really enjoy it. It speeds up the metabolism, among other things.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:36 AM

48,533 posts, read 34,863,037 times
I love hot and dry saunas, and jacuzzis, the hotter the better. I do not believe you sweat out toxins or anything, I just find them enjoyable and that's enough for me!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-26-2017, 12:41 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
They're not going to magically sweat out all your toxins or anything like that but they're good for you in the sense that they help you relax, it helps with dry skin (and skin conditions such as psoriasis and exzema), it improves blood circulation and can help with certain heart conditions (but that is something to be discussed with the doctor as some heart conditions are not suitable for the sauna) and the improvement of blood circulation is especially helpful with the elderly.

One piece of information that is not well known and instead the contrary is widely believed, is that it actually is safe to go to sauna while pregnant.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:35 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
The only things that have ever resulted in me having better health are reducing carbs in my diet, and reducing stress, with exercise getting an honorable mention. Everything else, and I mean EVERYTHING, touted by the curezone community to try and fix things, is mostly snake oil. That includes saunas. Their stress in their personal lives is the number one cause for all their medical problems. I say this so other people don't spend years trying snake oil cures only to come to the same conclusion I did. Practice personal development to reduce or eliminate stress, and eliminate fructose and alcohol from your diet, and your path to better health will be a gradual one. I use marijuana instead of alcohol because it's much healthier, cheaper, and easier to get the desired effect.

The main benefit from a sauna would be the stress reduction and relaxation effect (activation of the parasympathetic nervous system) that you get from using it... not the sweating or anything else. Inotherwords, psychological.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:55 AM

The cardiovascular effects of the sauna are not psychological but are a health benefit but you are right in that the main benefit is the relaxation and easing of stress.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:32 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,253,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I could NEVER use steam baths, thinking back the reason is I could not breath in them.

I used to have that same feeling as a teenager in the steam room at the YMCA gym, but I didn't give it a fair chance. Yrs. later in the health club, I forced myself to stay in the steam room and that nasty "unable to breathe" feeling disappeared.

No health benefits to a steam room as far as I could tell. but it sure made it convenient to shave. Didn't even need to use shaving cream. Sweat and oil were better than any shaving cream and the stubble came off in no time.

Couldn't stand the dry heat of sauna, tho.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I used to have that same feeling as a teenager in the steam room at the YMCA gym, but I didn't give it a fair chance. Yrs. later in the health club, I forced myself to stay in the steam room and that nasty "unable to breathe" feeling disappeared.

No health benefits to a steam room as far as I could tell. but it sure made it convenient to shave. Didn't even need to use shaving cream. Sweat and oil were better than any shaving cream and the stubble came off in no time.

Couldn't stand the dry heat of sauna, tho.
You've just got to throw enough löyly (water on the stove)

Old 06-27-2017, 09:38 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Bottom line, will only know if one tries either type heat. Heart condition people, I don't know. My friend lives in a sauna, Palm Desert, and it's all she can do to walk from car to a store in the summers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness