Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 02:08 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,608,601 times

Advertisements

Dude had a stroke. Dude's not even drunk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 02:15 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Everyone's advice goes on and on. Leave him, etc etc. The OP will do what she will need to do hopefully. It's not anyone's else's decision.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:35 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,472,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
"Reverse Tolerance."

It occurs after liver damage that slows down the ability to metabolize the alcohol. Until that damage occurs, the liver gets very efficient at metabolizing alcohol and it takes more alcohol to fel the effects and the person builds up a tolerance.

Key to Reverse Tolerance is liver damage (What Is Reverse Tolerance?).
You may have a point, BUT you have to drink A LOT to get that kind of liver damage. Once the liver gets irreversibly damaged beyond a certain point (Cirrhosis) then yes, that would be the case. A few beers a day will not do that, even if it's every day. It takes heavy drinking with no eating for many years to get there. I don't think the OP would be posting her questions here if she knew that her husband was a chronic alcoholic would she?

Old 06-30-2017, 02:39 PM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
You may have a point, BUT you have to drink A LOT to get that kind of liver damage. Once the liver gets irreversibly damaged beyond a certain point (Cirrhosis) then yes, that would be the case. A few beers a day will not do that, even if it's every day. It takes heavy drinking with no eating for many years to get there. I don't think the OP would be posting her questions here if she knew that her husband was a chronic alcoholic would she?
Plus, it's usually after a shift to hard alcohol. It would be hard to drink enough lite beer to do that, you'd probably explode. My Uncle has been pounding straight rum for 30 years and it seems to have no effect on him. Crazy.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:41 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,600,418 times
Maybe he has auto-brewery syndrome.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:46 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,622,128 times
It sounds like he may be an undiagnosed and untreated diabetic, that can cause many of his 'drunk' behaviors when combined with the carbs and alcohol.

Sorry, just saw the same suggestion on page 4. Still something to look into.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:08 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,585,979 times
Depends on the person........I become a bumbling-idiot with a few drinks, don't even have to be drunk.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:04 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo775 View Post
I only witness him drink 3 or 4 light beers a night which would not make him drunk but by 8 or 9 pm when he talks his voice is louder, he is slurring some words. It's upsetting and annoying...I know him better than he knows himself and I know when he is drunk. When I call him out on it he just gets defensive. The thing is, I can't figure it out.....we have a small house....I've checked hiding places. I'm in the same room with him most of the night. So I'm am not sure how or where he is sneaking more to drink. But there is no way he is drunk on a few light beers since he is a big guy who drinks a lot. So I start to wonder if he is taking some kind of drugs I'm not aware of. Any thoughts? It's very disheartening.
Can you say alcoholic? You can't enable him. Contact : Welcome to Al-Anon Family Groups

Old 06-30-2017, 11:06 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,202,023 times
One thing that may be happening is he has reached a stage in his drinking where his body needs less alcohol to become intoxicated.

Here is something I found via a search:

"Acute tolerance. Although tolerance to most alcohol effects develops over time and over several drinking sessions, it also has been observed within a single drinking session. This phenomenon is called acute tolerance (2). It means that alcohol-induced impairment is greater when measured soon after beginning alcohol consumption than when measured later in the drinking session, even if the BAC is the same at both times (8-10).

Acute tolerance does not develop to all effects of alcohol but does develop to the feeling of intoxication experienced after alcohol consumption (4). This may prompt the drinker to consume more alcohol, which in turn can impair performance or bodily functions that do not develop acute tolerance."
Source: https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/aa28.htm

This can get kind of complicated so possibly you could find someone knowledgeable in your area who could explain how the stages of alcoholism progress....either Al-Anon or AA. Highly recommend the book, Under the Influence, which describes the stages of alcoholism and what happens during each stage.

Last edited by 'M'; 06-30-2017 at 11:17 PM..

Old 07-01-2017, 06:31 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
It's a game of numbers -- drinking 3-4 beers a day for 10-15 years WILL increase your chances of getting cirrhosis:

"Drinking 32 to 48 oz. of beer, 4 to 8 oz. of liquor, or 16 to 32 oz. of wine every day for 10 to 15 years or longer greatly increases your chances of developing cirrhosis." Source

32 to 48 oz of beer is 3-4 cans or bottles a day. Plus,we can't assume the OP's husband isn't sneaking additional alcohol and hiding it. Addicts are absolute geniuses at hiding the extent of their habits from the people they know. And for that matter, from themselves -- lot of denial in that disorder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness