Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2017, 10:18 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
You have my empathy. I am sorry life has been so difficult for you.

You said you've been seeing a psychiatrist for five years. If you don't believe you are mentally ill, and your psychiatrist does not believe you are mentally ill, and you show no symptoms of mental illness, why have you been seeing a psychiatrist for five years? Or does your psychiatrist -- but not you -- believe you are mentally ill, which is why you've been a patient for five years?

No doctor is going to treat an asymptomatic patient, so I'm not sure why you'd need services for five years. And if this psychiatrist isn't helping you, maybe you should get another opinion?

You don't need to answer the questions. They are very personal. Just something to think about.

False argument. For gosh sakes I have gone to a shrink, and I am not mentally ill. I would think people like you provide the need for counseling. And as you have read in the thread it is required by reputable doctors that they go to counseling for up to a year before. Which makes good sense.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-11-2017, 10:19 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Please do not let people like that get you down (I know, easier said then done).

Some people are just hateful (race, religion, gender... you name it, they'll hate it).
You are confusing disagreement with hate. Not even CLOSE to being the same thing. At all. No one is trying to bring anyone down.

And you are accusing people of hating just for sport? Where the HECK do find evidence of THAT???

Your post is off point and puzzling.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
False argument. For gosh sakes I have gone to a shrink, and I am not mentally ill. I would think people like you provide the need for counseling. And as you have read in the thread it is required by reputable doctors that they go to counseling for up to a year before. Which makes good sense.
Why would someone need to go to a psychiatrist for five years (not 1 year) when they claim to have no symptoms of mental illness and haven't been diagnosed with mental illness? How does the psychiatrist ICD code for insurance (which is by diagnosis)?

STOP the personal snark attacks. They are uncalled for. I think my questions are making you uncomfortable because you know there is truth in them.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:33 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times
Quote:

You said you've been seeing a psychiatrist for five years. If you don't believe you are mentally ill, and your psychiatrist does not believe you are mentally ill, and you show no symptoms of mental illness, why have you been seeing a psychiatrist for five years? Or does your psychiatrist -- but not you -- believe you are mentally ill, which is why you've been a patient for five years?

No doctor is going to treat an asymptomatic patient, so I'm not sure why you'd need services for five years. And if this psychiatrist isn't helping you, maybe you should get another opinion?

You don't need to answer the questions. They are very personal. Just something to think about.
Wow. Just WOW! Do you have a filter? Or do you just have the world's biggest nose and mouth? You're getting incredibly personal and nasty.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:34 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times
Quote:
STOP the personal snark attacks. They are uncalled for.
Pot meet kettle.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:45 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,848,020 times
Quote:

It's part of the process of transition. We only see each other every three months now. Part of the guidelines set by WPATH is to be in under the care of a Psychiatrist (or Psychologist) throughout transition.

WPATH Standards of Care

ETA: My Psychiatrist has been of immeasurable help to me and a source of guidance. She's amazing. Your concern is unfounded.

ETA Pt. 2.: If you really feel the need to paint me as mentally ill, I'll play along, just this once. You know what really makes me crazy? Random jackasses on the Internet who try to second guess my Psychiatrist and analyze me having never met me. THAT makes me crazy.

Last edited by geekigurl; 10-11-2017 at 10:59 PM..

Old 10-12-2017, 01:19 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:

In order to empathize you would have to have had the same experiences as geekigurl. I think we can safely assume from your comments that you have not.

Not everyone who sees a psychiatrist is mentally ill.

Most of us could, quite frankly, probably benefit from counselling from time to time.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:16 AM

88 posts, read 61,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
ETA Pt. 2.: If you really feel the need to paint me as mentally ill, I'll play along, just this once. You know what really makes me crazy? Random jackasses on the Internet who try to second guess my Psychiatrist and analyze me having never met me. THAT makes me crazy.
That is only natural and anyone with a mental illness who doesn't realize they have one will get angry at others for pointing it out. Newtovenice is only trying to help you.

You may be fine going through a sex change, but just know the statistics. Most of the people going through it will regret it. And many will have complications, both psychological and physiological. Did you know that you have to stretch your new sex organ for like 4 hours a day for the rest of your life? I think that would get old quite quickly. And how about getting no pleasure from sex? What's wrong with keeping your penis really? You can still be an attractive transgender. Lots of guys like a "chick with a dick", just look at Thailand. The ladyboys are very popular down there, especially among straight guys.

Personally I am not gay but I did sleep with a ladyboy once (yes, I admit it). She was extremely hot and I kinda felt like mixing it up after going through so many regular women in a short period of time. It was a fun experience. I wouldn't do it if that person had gotten rid of his/her penis. It would've felt more "dirty" if that was the case I think.

You also won't ever trick someone into thinking that you are a "real" female after going through an operation. And even if you did, that would be morally wrong no doubt about it.

Just to give you my perspective. Honestly everything I say here is out of well meaning and compassion.

Last edited by Charles XII; 10-12-2017 at 02:31 AM..

Old 10-12-2017, 05:55 AM

The majority of psychiatrists do not offer counseling. They offer diagnosis and medication only. Psychotherapists do the vast majority of counseling today. To spend five years with a psychiatrist with no symptoms and no mental illness and no diagnosis is rare, it's an oddity. To ask a question about it is NOT out of line, especially when a person says that they are not mentally ill, and then say they've been seeing a psychiatrist for five years. It seems reasonable to think that *seems* odd.

Name calling is out of line. If you post info on a board, expect questions.

"Just to give you my perspective. Honestly everything I say here is out of well meaning and compassion."

Sometimes telling people what they do not want to hear IS compassionate. Although not PC.

Last edited by newtovenice; 10-12-2017 at 06:21 AM..

Old 10-12-2017, 06:22 AM

995 posts, read 1,696,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Not everyone who sees a psychiatrist is mentally ill.

We are not talking about a counselor or psychologist, we are talking about a medical doctor who specializes in psychiatric disease.

If you see a cardiologist every 3 months for 5 years, you have cardiac disease.
If you see a gastroenterologist every 3 months for 5 years, you have gastrointestinal disease.
If you see an ophthalmologist every 3 months for 5 years, you have an ophthalmologic disease.

Everyone who sees a psychiatrist every 3 months for 5 years has a psychiatric illness.
Why has common sense become defined as hate? I don't hate people who see cardiologists or gastroenterologists, and I don't hate people who see psychiatrists. I'm not going to sugarcoat illness though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness