Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 09:28 AM

995 posts, read 1,695,228 times

Advertisements

Because it is a mental health disease. Much like people who identify as animals, babies, or My Little Ponies.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:56 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Why aren't we talking about it? I'm guessing because most folks don't care. it doesn't apply to the vast majority of the population. Doesn't apply to me...never has...never will....so I'm not in the least bit worried about it.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:15 AM

388 posts, read 536,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Just more evidence that ObamaCare mandated coverage for gender reassignment surgery is nothing but a politically correct farce and a waste of working people's money.
Interesting. Considering the article is about a doctor/clinic in Serbia, and not in the USA, it has NOTHING to do with ObamaCare.

But, hey, let's not use facts in y/our discussions, right?

Old 10-10-2017, 10:29 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Because after being gay became more mainstream, being Trans became the next cash cow. Think of all the grant money available because of a whole new demographic to be taken advantage of.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:06 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Why aren't we talking about it? I'm guessing because most folks don't care. it doesn't apply to the vast majority of the population. Doesn't apply to me...never has...never will....so I'm not in the least bit worried about it.
Considering that transgender has been all over the news in the last two years, legislated regarding bathroom usage (becuase THAT is important), cities and countries decrying it a hate crime if you don't use a correct* pronoun (NYC, Canada), NCAA saying it won't play in NC because of bathrooms, Bruce Jenner getting an ESPN hero award, TV shows on cable depicting the lives of transgender children, it is very much shoved into the mainstream.

Except pesky stuff like 40% suicide rate regardless of surgery -- if THAT isn't indicate of mental illness, i really don;t know what other evidence politicians want -- and those getting surgery having regrets about it. You know, actual facts that matter. YOu can make it trendy, it's still mental illness.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:23 AM

378 posts, read 772,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaBull13 View Post
Interesting. Considering the article is about a doctor/clinic in Serbia, and not in the USA, it has NOTHING to do with ObamaCare.

So what? Are you saying this is not a reality in US..

Old 10-10-2017, 12:03 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Considering that transgender has been all over the news in the last two years, legislated regarding bathroom usage (becuase THAT is important), cities and countries decrying it a hate crime if you don't use a correct* pronoun (NYC, Canada), NCAA saying it won't play in NC because of bathrooms, Bruce Jenner getting an ESPN hero award, TV shows on cable depicting the lives of transgender children, it is very much shoved into the mainstream.

Except pesky stuff like 40% suicide rate regardless of surgery -- if THAT isn't indicate of mental illness, i really don;t know what other evidence politicians want -- and those getting surgery having regrets about it. You know, actual facts that matter. YOu can make it trendy, it's still mental illness.
Blah, blah, blah.......many people really just don't care! It doesn't impact their lives directly so who cares? Lots of folks aren't watching tv shows where it was added. I don't watch tv shows about children. Bruce Jenner is just trying to stay in the limelight.....he lost the Kardashian cash cow. I have no clue about basketball and NC....don't watch basketball and I don't live anywhere near NC. They can do what they want with their bathrooms. We'll just call everyone it so no one is offended.....people are offended by everything today.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:40 PM

6,704 posts, read 5,933,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaBull13 View Post

Hey, let's.

Fact: ObamaCare covers gender reassignment surgery.

Fact: Post-surgery regret is a real phenomenon. For decades psychiatrists have documented depression and suicidal tendencies among post-operative transgendered people. One meta-study suggests 20% regret the decision.

Fact: The Guardian newspaper notes that regret along with symptoms of depression affects a significant minority of the community.

Fact: Many Americans and others from around the world go to Serbia to get sex-change operations. Therefore, a Serbian doctor's observations are quite relevant and important when considering the effectiveness of such procedures.

Should Medicaid and ACA pay for gender reassignment surgery (which typically costs $50,000 and up) when it is not effective in many cases? Should we the taxpayers pay for any elective procedure that has a 20% failure rate?

Old 10-10-2017, 12:41 PM

638 posts, read 529,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Around five years ago, Professor Miroslav Djordjevic, the world-leading genital reconstructive surgeon, received a visit at his Belgrade clinic: a transgender person who had undergone surgery at different clinic to remove male genitalia - and since changed their mind.

Sex change regret: Gender reversal surgery is on the rise, so why aren't we talking about it?
My understanding is that it's the #1 topic of discussion for years before any reputable clinic will take you on. They talk about it for a really long time. I know a few trans people. It took them years to find a clinic, years more to go through the whole thing.

The OP is posting an article about Serbia. I have no idea what it's like there regarding getting surgery, but if it's anything like other developing countries with private health care industries, you probably get what you pay for, and that is a much broader, more urgent topic IMO.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:34 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Hey, let's.

Fact: ObamaCare covers gender reassignment surgery.

Fact: Post-surgery regret is a real phenomenon. For decades psychiatrists have documented depression and suicidal tendencies among post-operative transgendered people. One meta-study suggests 20% regret the decision.

Fact: The Guardian newspaper notes that regret along with symptoms of depression affects a significant minority of the community.

Fact: Many Americans and others from around the world go to Serbia to get sex-change operations. Therefore, a Serbian doctor's observations are quite relevant and important when considering the effectiveness of such procedures.

Should Medicaid and ACA pay for gender reassignment surgery (which typically costs $50,000 and up) when it is not effective in many cases? Should we the taxpayers pay for any elective procedure that has a 20% failure rate?
There is no study that shows reassignment surgery affects the suicide rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness