Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 11:01 AM

8,227 posts, read 3,419,408 times

Advertisements

I really think people should wonder, just for a minute, if their expensive bed and mattress are really necessary.

There seems to be a mattress store in every shopping center now. They must be making a fortune, as mattresses get more and more sophisticated and expensive.

Are they really better than a couple of layers of rubber tiles and a thin mat? My whole "bed" costs under $20. It does not collect dust mites, and is easy to clean. You CANNOT get the dust mites out of your expensive mattress!

Is the expensive mattress really better for your spine? I have not done a research study, obviously, I only know my own experience.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:04 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
At this late date, I'm not going to start sleeping on the floor, for starters I could not get down and couldn't get up if I got down. Glad the floor is your best place to sleep. I just had a good night's sleep on Sleep # bed.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:20 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Genetics plays a role in everything, but most of the time it is not a useful explanation. We did not evolve for the modern lifestyle, and our cultural habits do explain a lot of the current epidemics.

No, the mere fact that we live much longer explains a lot of the current epidemics.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-31-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
At this late date, I'm not going to start sleeping on the floor, for starters I could not get down and couldn't get up if I got down. Glad the floor is your best place to sleep. I just had a good night's sleep on Sleep # bed.
I am not suggesting everyone should do this. If getting up from the floor is a problem, obviously you should not try this.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:22 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
As I said before, for every human, and animal, joints wear out with age. But the same amount of wear can cause pain in one person and not in another.

I really doubt arthritis was as much of a problem a couple hundred years ago.

No need to "doubt" there is plenty of documentation of arthritis in archaeological digs from much further back than a couple hundred years.

For anything a mere couple hundred years ago, it has been written about extensively.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-31-2017, 01:33 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
my arthritis has gotten so bad from an old sking injury that I have had to wear a brace when the pain starts because it gets that bad . I walk and I'm very active and clean and straighten my home every day so it is not as if I am sitting around doing nothing . I wish all of us luck when dealing with arthritic anything .

Old 10-31-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
No, the mere fact that we live much longer explains a lot of the current epidemics.
That is being repeated constantly. I think it comes from the drug industry, because they are taking credit for our "longer and healthier lives."

So, our longer and healthier lives are causing these terrible epidemics!

But I think it's mostly a myth, based on misuses of statistics.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:33 PM

Osteoarthritis Is Much More Common Now Than In Ancient Knees, Study Suggests : Shots - Health News : NPR

This research says knee osteoarthritis is much more common now than in prehistoric times. So that is one reason to doubt the medical industry's idea -- that it's because we are healthier and live longer.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:46 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Osteoarthritis Is Much More Common Now Than In Ancient Knees, Study Suggests : Shots - Health News : NPR

This research says knee osteoarthritis is much more common now than in prehistoric times. So that is one reason to doubt the medical industry's idea -- that it's because we are healthier and live longer.
Well, that's sort of interesting. And interesting that they mention diet because back in prehistoric times people were probably gnawing on bones and eating all sorts of animal parts that we reject today. Maybe that connective tissue and the other stuff in animal bones really does help our joints. I think back at dogs chewing their bones, seldom seen these days. Look at what a lot of people eat--fast food with low nutrients.

Also, as the article said, the level of obesity today was unheard of in the past.

I do have a picture of a great grandmother back in England with obvious arthritis in her hands. She must have been around 90 in the old picture and her occupation was weaving (on a hand loom.) Wear and tear on her fingers probably.

I think the high occurrence of arthritis today has little to do with being healthier (we are not) and living longer (although we probably do, but that doesn't mean the quality of life is very good.)

Last edited by in_newengland; 10-31-2017 at 03:37 PM..

Old 10-31-2017, 02:50 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
All nerves come out from the spine. The spine is the center of the body, and if it is out of balance, everything else gets out of balance.

For example, if there are subluxations (I mean chiropractic subluxations) in the upper back or neck, you might get carpal tunnel syndrome.

Subluxations in the lower back can result in hip, knee or foot pain.
NOPE..

"Subluxations" are mostly chiropractic nonsense first of all..

Secondly there IS NO correlation between upper back or neck problems of ANY sort and carpal tunnel syndrome....

Carpal tunnel syndrome is BY DEFINITION a median neuropathy at the wrist...compression of a peripheral nerve with absolutely NOTHING to do with the spine...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness