Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 09:09 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,253,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
What did people do before smartphones? Yes, you stare at people. You also strike up conversations, take in the details of your surroundings, listen to people talk, get lost in your thoughts, deal with boredom, etc. You don’t have the addiction of checking something at every idle moment or needing to constantly be entertained. If you are constantly entertained by something...eventually it will no longer be entertaining.

I never said I don’t like smartphones. They are simply tools. I’m not railing against anything...nope, not trying to convince the world to do anything. I’ve simply personally came to the point of not knowing if I want to be connected anymore yet like most people I feel a little anxiety if my smartphone isn’t with me all day. Just wondering if anyone gave it up.
Not all people are like you. I am somehow still capable of having discussions in spite of having a smartphone. When I am waiting at DMV or at the Dentist's office or anywhere else I am usually reading a book on the kindle app on my phone. Before smartphones I always carried a book with me. Smartphones didn't change what I do, they just allow me to do them more efficiently.

I have a home surveillance system, I can see the video output on my smartphone and I receive an alert if something triggers one of the cameras, I simply open the app and can see what's going on. That in itself is reason enough for me to have a smartphone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 10:04 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
We're all so different aren't we..when I've had to WAIT I would go into a little meditation vs running to find something to do. Even in doctor's offices over the years, rather pick up those magazines, a little meditation. Quiet the mind and power it up too.

I'm sure so much of this tech involvement is generational and for me 80 next year I don't believe I've missed a thing not having one in my life. If I was still raising kids, I guess I'd be in this world.

Old 12-10-2017, 10:48 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Yes, it can be addicting, but it is also a great tool for all kinds of things that help in day to day life. (DH just equated it to an opioid, great when used correctly, but easily abused.)

Where I used to get frustrated waiting in line (where ever), now I can read, play words with friends, etc., as a directionally challenged individual, the GPS is a miracle of modern technology, my lists of things to do, my grocery list, music and podcasts for traffic and the gym, Google is an instant argument ender between DH and myself (), a great way to find a good restaurant near you.....

Such a great way to stay organized and entertained.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-10-2017, 11:09 AM

As for the games on the phones, not for me...my game was real bridge with real people but even that is not happening since I can't get around due to knee. I found the games trivia area here on C-D and have some fun going to some of the trivia games.

Old 12-10-2017, 11:27 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
As for the games on the phones, not for me...my game was real bridge with real people but even that is not happening since I can't get around due to knee. I found the games trivia area here on C-D and have some fun going to some of the trivia games.
The phone doesn't replace socialization or game nights, just gives me something to do in mini-increments.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-10-2017, 01:16 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,249,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Where does the idea come from that most people are accessing City-Data forums using a smart phone or cell phone? Do we have statistics on that?

I assumed many people are accessing City-Data using a laptop computer or desktop computer, even if they use a smart phone to access City-Data at times.

I use an Apple MacBook laptop computer 13 inch. I would not access CD using a smart phone.
https://hostingfacts.com/internet-facts-stats-2016/

Mobile use us near the bottom

https://www.impactbnd.com/blog/mobil...ing-statistics

Although I can’t find anything specific to City Data, there’s no reason to think our users aren’t just like every one else.

I mod very easily on my iPhone 6.

And I agree, doing genealogy searches off Ancestry are much easier on a laptop, but I’m filling in side relatives right now, and that’s pretty easy on the phone, using Ancestry.

I’m really enjoying finding all the third fourth and fifth cousins who got married to each other, while searching for little tidbits in my main branch.

Old 12-10-2017, 01:30 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,131,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Interesting, I have none to give up since I've never been there and don't need to be entertained every minute. I've learned from a long life how to handle all that. Yikes what a huge gap in generations. How did we older folks ever get here without all that tech stuff. In the very beginning there was the fear of cancer from this stuff, but who knows I've given up on that thought that bothered me.
while I hate the dependence I see of people so absorbed with their phones, It reminds me of an old Star Trek Next Generation episode where everyone on the ship became addicted to a video game which had a visor, and it was a way of controlling people.

What I worry about most is what happens if there is a pulse or some other thing that suddenly makes useless all of the technology that EVERYONE depends on now. Your whole life is now dependent on technology. Medical records, Bank records, control of utilities, etc.

How do you feel when there is a storm and your power goes out for a day or two? People are on the verge of panic. And if something more permanent did happen how many people would know how to do things just to live? Things that people used to do themselves are now done for them and they have no clue how to do those things themselves anymore.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
while I hate the dependence I see of people so absorbed with their phones, It reminds me of an old Star Trek Next Generation episode where everyone on the ship became addicted to a video game which had a visor, and it was a way of controlling people.

What I worry about most is what happens if there is a pulse or some other thing that suddenly makes useless all of the technology that EVERYONE depends on now. Your whole life is now dependent on technology. Medical records, Bank records, control of utilities, etc.

How do you feel when there is a storm and your power goes out for a day or two? People are on the verge of panic. And if something more permanent did happen how many people would know how to do things just to live? Things that people used to do themselves are now done for them and they have no clue how to do those things themselves anymore.
Oh I've thought of this scenerio plenty of times. I guess everyone will be S.O.L.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:36 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
My cell phone has a built in battery, it doesn't rely upon electrical power. We also have a solar charger on hand for charging battery operated flashlights and our phones if necessary. I am not sure what my phone does for me that I would no longer be able to do it for myself if I didn't have it, my bank and utility records are stored at the service providers business. I access them on my phone but if I needed hard copies I would simply call the bank or utility company.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:25 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,314,963 times
Drives me crazy because phones come before so many things, most importantly relationships with people in the real world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness