Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 06:30 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,145,675 times

Advertisements

OP you brought up an interesting topic. I think the truth is there are many of us who use our phones as pacifiers yet we don't want to acknowledge it so we defend our "useful tools". I wish I didn't have to be so dependent on my phone but I have noticed our society makes it somewhat necessary. I still have a landline (old school, but I prefer the clarity of it) and give that out for non-personal calls but I find people try to text me on it, including the other day when my auto shop texted me details about my car being ready. I miss talking to people on the phone as you just can't have the same interaction with a text. But texting instead of talking has become the norm so what can you do? A few years ago I even had someone do a text to talk message on my answering machine to the landline which meant they spoke into their phone and then left that robotic message on my answering machine. I thought why didn't you just call me? Have we become so averse to speaking to another human? Yes, smart phones are very convenient but I think for ever advance there are disadvantages. I feel bad for kids today as they are so addicted to social media. Go to any high school and watch as the kids walk out. I dare you to find any kid whose head isn't buried in their phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 07:11 AM

30,143 posts, read 11,778,294 times
I use my phone extensively with my business. For me it increases sales for my to respond to any questions or issues promptly. There are so many apps that help me with productivity. Plus google fit is great in monitoring my exercise regimen.

I don't think the issue is using a smartphone or not but what you do with it is what is important.

It would be like asking if we would be better off walking everywhere and not having transportation? Yes our physical health would be better but that is about it.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:14 AM

30,143 posts, read 11,778,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
A few years ago I even had someone do a text to talk message on my answering machine to the landline which meant they spoke into their phone and then left that robotic message on my answering machine. I thought why didn't you just call me?
I believe that happens when someone sends a text to a landline, thinking its a cellphone. The text is automatically translated into words by a computer. They probably had no idea that this had occurred.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:59 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,210,827 times
Quote:
I think the truth is there are many of us who use our phones as pacifiers yet we don't want to acknowledge it so we defend our "useful tools". I wish I didn't have to be so dependent on my phone but I have noticed our society makes it somewhat necessary.

I miss talking to people on the phone as you just can't have the same interaction with a text.

I thought why didn't you just call me?
The first part seems contradictory. You suggest people defend their "tools" as an excuse yet then say society makes it necessary.

Maybe missing the "phone experience" is precisely why so many text? Phone calls have a way of dragging out where a simple question and one sentence answer turns into additional unnecessary questions and small talk.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:08 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Well, I guess MOST like to be on call 24/7....Talk about anxiety.

So many fear they are missing something.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 12-11-2017 at 10:34 AM..

Old 12-11-2017, 10:20 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
It's quite possible to resist, although it takes moral fortitude -- as in all things -- to go against the herd. People lose patience with me because I'm not online 24/7. Oh, well!

Old 12-11-2017, 10:39 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

No that's not what it means.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-11-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
OP you brought up an interesting topic. I think the truth is there are many of us who use our phones as pacifiers yet we don't want to acknowledge it so we defend our "useful tools". I wish I didn't have to be so dependent on my phone but I have noticed our society makes it somewhat necessary. I still have a landline (old school, but I prefer the clarity of it) and give that out for non-personal calls but I find people try to text me on it, including the other day when my auto shop texted me details about my car being ready. I miss talking to people on the phone as you just can't have the same interaction with a text. But texting instead of talking has become the norm so what can you do? A few years ago I even had someone do a text to talk message on my answering machine to the landline which meant they spoke into their phone and then left that robotic message on my answering machine. I thought why didn't you just call me? Have we become so averse to speaking to another human? Yes, smart phones are very convenient but I think for ever advance there are disadvantages. I feel bad for kids today as they are so addicted to social media. Go to any high school and watch as the kids walk out. I dare you to find any kid whose head isn't buried in their phone.
I can only imagine what these campuses look like...a mass of smartphones.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:52 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I'm not sure why you would make an assumption like that. I keep my phone with me during the day because I take care of my grandson while his dad works, the boy is in kindergarten and if he gets sick I need to know so I can pick him up, have a cell phone sure beats the crap out of the option- sitting in the house all day waiting in case the school calls

What surprises me in reading these posts is the disdain for smartphones by people who claim they have never owned one, but for whatever reason hate them anyway. How do you know that you hate something before you try it? I thought I hated brussels sprouts until my mother actually made me taste one before I could leave the table. For people who won't get a smartphone because OMG they might get addicted, are they also addicted to the TV set, or the device they use to post on these forums? It just makes no sense...

I used to give free computer classes at the senior center. There was one guy who was always there watching people on the computers but he would walk around making smart cracks like "oh great now you don't need human friends" I sat down with him and asked him what he was interested in, it turns out he knew more about trains than anyone I had ever met, he absolutely loved trains and railroad history. I had him sit down at a PC and type in the name of an obscure railroad line and wow, did his eyes light up! He started attending the classes and after a month or so he asked me to go to best buy with him to help him pick out a laptop

Old 12-11-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm not sure why you would make an assumption like that. I keep my phone with me during the day because I take care of my grandson while his dad works, the boy is in kindergarten and if he gets sick I need to know so I can pick him up, have a cell phone sure beats the crap out of the option- sitting in the house all day waiting in case the school calls

What surprises me in reading these posts is the disdain for smartphones by people who claim they have never owned one, but for whatever reason hate them anyway. How do you know that you hate something before you try it? I thought I hated brussels sprouts until my mother actually made me taste one before I could leave the table. For people who won't get a smartphone because OMG they might get addicted, are they also addicted to the TV set, or the device they use to post on these forums? It just makes no sense...

I used to give free computer classes at the senior center. There was one guy who was always there watching people on the computers but he would walk around making smart cracks like "oh great now you don't need human friends" I sat down with him and asked him what he was interested in, it turns out he knew more about trains than anyone I had ever met, he absolutely loved trains and railroad history. I had him sit down at a PC and type in the name of an obscure railroad line and wow, did his eyes light up! He started attending the classes and after a month or so he asked me to go to best buy with him to help him pick out a laptop
Everyone has their Reasons. Just have to wonder how all those before my generation got thru their lives ... yeah I know things have changed big time.

All those masses of smartphones walking around school campuses have their reasons too....some could be life saving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness