Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 05:54 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
That's all where the 50's people are, my daughter is too. Texting is big in her life. But I belong to a generation too. And I'd say MOST older generations are not out there texting, except some guy in D.C.
You would be correct. But “ most” is a very ambiguous number. 1/2 of seniors (65+) who owns cell phone use a smart phone. But only 17% over people over 80.

Technology use among seniors | Pew Research Center

But...it’s growing.

As to addiction? Well yeah. But I knew people who were addicted to their desk tops. I knew people who were addicted to the internet.

So there will be people addicted to their phones. And to the next thing coming down the pike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 06:21 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Let's face it, we're all addicted to something, strongly or to a point. I owned a tv until earlier this year all my life and had it on every night I'm sure, but got rid of tv and so that is out of my life...but I have my radio going all day.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:49 PM

6,585 posts, read 4,968,631 times
My phone got wet Saturday and spent 2 days in rice. Someone tried to get in touch with me and I didn't really want to talk to them. I was initially panicked and then though - wow this is great! Sure, I got text notifications on my computer, but only if I was on it. Other than that, blissful peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I have a family member that got promoted to manager. Awesome. 60 hour work week but much higher pay on salary. However, even when not at work she’s the go-to person with all questions and decisions. Text, text, text, text, call, text, call, text, text.
Yeah, I had a not-so-good paying part time job like that. PART time. We were told we were expected to check our emails and answer calls/texts at all times. The best part is when the boss would email us something to review at 8pm Sunday and say she needed an answer right away. You could always tell who the suck-ups were.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:29 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
On this subject of work and being at the beckon calls of bosses. When I was at the sales job and hooked up to a pager, I had to have it on vacations. And boss had to know how to reach me. Then I took a vacation to Aruba and could NOT be reached by him...that was the best peaceful VACATION I ever had while in my work life.

Today's workers have their computers on the beach while supposedly relaxing.

Anyone ever look up the definition of Vacation.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:29 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,210,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Well, I guess MOST like to be on call 24/7....Talk about anxiety.

So many fear they are missing something.
Who I feel sad for is those who wound not be missed if they were not available in a crisis situation, who are totally unneeded and irrelevalent, and it doesn't matter if they respond right away or two days later. They are paid as one who is dispensable and then they wonder why...

Old 12-12-2017, 01:49 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Is a smartphone so important to us that it’s now basically an extension of our body? I was very late to the smartphone party getting one about 6 years ago...as a younger person, a lot of people would laugh that I used a flip phone. I would just laugh with them because I didn’t know what I was missing. Am I happier now that I have a smartphone consuming massive amounts of time? Not really, but phones are now the new smoking. You just automatically need it to soothe yourself.
I'd say yes. To hear me out... it's like how a car is essential too. Without it, I can't go to work, and public transportation isn't really an option where I'm at. I have funds stashed away to fix it, or buy a new one if need be. I highly prioritize getting it fixed (and my workplaces have understood such a concern). If I can't get a ride to work, I rent a car.

My smartphone is where I waste time playing games, but it's nice to get internet on the road to check email, look up data, email, txt, etc. It's also my connection with family and friends. Out of town, it's my navigator around various cities. Saves me A LOT of time and hassle. That said, I still do many of these things without it taking over my life.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:19 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,517,494 times
My husband doens't even have a phone. His work, when he does it, he has to concentrate as he's dealing with contracts that can change people's lives. He works with talent. So he closes his office door, must be 100% focused.

No emergencies in our businesses.

I rarely use mine, mostly for when we go out of town. To keep in touch with the office. Find museums etc. I play no stupid time wasting games, don't watch tv on it. Very few people even have my number.

We refuse to let an electronic device take over our lives.

I can see where some jobs it might be mandatory to make a living. Thank God we don't have one of those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness