Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 03:26 PM

1,063 posts, read 696,886 times

Advertisements

From what I researched and know here and there from having flat feet, theoretically a cortisone shot should work if it is ACUTE.

If it is CHRONIC - Meaning caused by a lifestyle issue (it's called "Policeman's heel" for a reason) then a cortisone shot is only a temporary solution - Meaning you will have to change the aggravating factor in order to get long term relief.

Long term solution would be mostly mechanical in nature through various apparatus available in today's consumer market for the condition. Blood flow does help. Get a foot massage.

Old 06-12-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
Reminds me when I had to have several large plantar warts removed from both of my feet. The needle going in hurt pretty bad. The dermatologist said he had had many patients cry or scream upon the needle being inserted. I believed that based on the searing/burning pain upon it being inserted. Was not a fun time.
I may need to have one removed, but why did you need a needle or anesthetic? Was it too big for cryotherapy?

When I got cryotherapy for molloscum it didn't hurt that much. even on the inside of my elbow. Is it not strong enough to kill a wart on the heel? They have to actually scrape the heel ones off?

Old 06-12-2018, 03:53 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
When I got cryotherapy for molloscum it didn't hurt that much. even on the inside of my elbow. Is it not strong enough to kill a wart on the heel? They have to actually scrape the heel ones off?
My 10 yo just had some plantar warts removed from the bottom of her foot and the podiatrist gave us the option of cryo or a local anesthetic and excising it. I got the impression the cryo usually works as long as the wart is relatively superficial and its blood supply is not too deep, so we tried that with the understanding that if a couple of weeks went by and it hadn't all fallen off, she'd have to get it excised anyway. In her case, the freezing worked.

Old 06-12-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
My 10 yo just had some plantar warts removed from the bottom of her foot and the podiatrist gave us the option of cryo or a local anesthetic and excising it. I got the impression the cryo usually works as long as the wart is relatively superficial and its blood supply is not too deep, so we tried that with the understanding that if a couple of weeks went by and it hadn't all fallen off, she'd have to get it excised anyway. In her case, the freezing worked, although both the podiatrist and I were lobbying for excision from the get go, since we knew that would get it all for sure.
Got it, so I guess it's a wait and see approach. It would make sense that a wart on the foot may get deeper and need to be excised. It is good to know to prepare mentally for this. I'm just not sure why they can't administer the local anesthetic first before the cortisol instead of doing it simultaneously. That's like drilling your teeth for 1 minute before the dentist administers the anesthetic - I wonder why cortisol hurts so much? I got a toradol shot in my arm for neck inflammation and there was no pain.

Old 06-12-2018, 04:04 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
Got it, so I guess it's a wait and see approach. It would make sense that a wart on the foot may get deeper and need to be excised. It is good to know to prepare mentally for this. I'm just not sure why they can't administer the local anesthetic first before the cortisol instead of doing it simultaneously. That's like drilling your teeth for 1 minute before the dentist administers the anesthetic - I wonder why cortisol hurts so much? I got a toradol shot in my arm for neck inflammation and there was no pain.
I think the local anesthetic actually hurts as much as the CSI, at least that's many people's impression from what I understand. It was my 10 yo, so I was willing to try the freeze first, though both the podiatrist and I were trying to convince her to just get it excised. He told me he routinely has kids get the shot and do fine, and conversely, has grown adults bemoan the pain from the cryo (I think there can be some aching in the hours after it's done, though my kid had no discomfort at all). So, people's reactions vary. I was a bit relieved to avoid her getting a shot, since she's very needle phobic right now, and the podiatrist knows my husband. I always try and be a low maintenance patient.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 06-12-2018 at 04:19 PM..

Old 06-12-2018, 04:13 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I avoid those cortisone injections, they gave me one in the hospital when I landed there in late 2015 for the knee issue and it did nothing...of course, it was an infection going on.

From what I hear it is very temporary and softens our cartlidge and people are right back to where they were....too too bad "they" can't come up with something that really lasts. I know what I believe in more but our insurance world hasn't gone there YET.

And what our insurance is charged for these protocols that do so little, amazing.
Is there any medical treatment that you have received that worked with no complaints from you?

As for OP, if you need foot injected again ask them to freeze spray the injection spot. Lessens the pain a lot. Still hurts, but not killer hurt!!!

Old 06-12-2018, 04:55 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Is there any medical treatment that you have received that worked with no complaints from you?

As for OP, if you need foot injected again ask them to freeze spray the injection spot. Lessens the pain a lot. Still hurts, but not killer hurt!!!
I took Feldene back in the 80's and was doing great with OA issues but ended up in ER with stomach ulcer...so only drugs I take are BP and thyroid and no complaints. Back then I knew nothing of what I know now, I believed in drugs ... used bayer aspirin etc.

Old 06-12-2018, 04:59 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,983,147 times
Freeze spray before injection was like giving a tic tac to a whale.
I'm relieved to know I'm not the only one who experienced breaking out into a cold sweat. Searing and burning were also great adjectives!
My feet hurt just reading this thread.

Old 06-12-2018, 05:14 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,193,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Freeze spray before injection was like giving a tic tac to a whale.
I'm relieved to know I'm not the only one who experienced breaking out into a cold sweat. Searing and burning were also great adjectives!
My feet hurt just reading this thread.
Hahaha! Sorry to freak you out. But I wish I'd known then what I know now. I would have never had that dang shot and opted for surgery. But as I recall, back then, insurance required the cortisone shot to be given as a first line of treatment (the cheapskates). If that didn't work, they approved the surgery to go forward. So yeah, I really ought to be blaming the insurance company for that lovely experience. If you go down the rabbit hole of accountability far enough, you usually find insurance companies skulking in the shadows.

If I could think of one great reason to be filthy rich, it would be to never have to deal with those scumbags or their greedy rules and roadblocks ever again. Maybe money can't buy happiness, but it CAN buy a fantastic doctor and choices with no limitations.

Many years ago, the most wonderfully caring and unique doc I ever encountered in my life did not accept insurance. He was a treat as was his staff and waiting room which was decorated like a ... well, kind of hobbit hole! It was an adventure just waiting there to be called in the exam room. First time I ever saw a doc wearing shorts and Birkenstocks! He spent nearly an hour with me for that appointment. Even called me at home later that evening to see how I was faring. I was new in town and didn't have insurance at the time so just paid in cash, after he gave me a hefty discount. Of course I couldn't afford to keep him as my regular doctor after finding a job and getting medical insurance. I was completely bummed about that.

Wow. I'll never forget that guy. Maybe it was all just a sweet dream....

Last edited by BijouBaby; 06-12-2018 at 05:24 PM..

Old 06-12-2018, 05:25 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I took Feldene back in the 80's and was doing great with OA issues but ended up in ER with stomach ulcer...so only drugs I take are BP and thyroid and no complaints. Back then I knew nothing of what I know now, I believed in drugs ... used bayer aspirin etc.
"Back in the '80" we all put caution labels on Rx bottles stating "Take with food or milk" May cause ulcers" on all NSAID Rxs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness