Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 03:53 PM

997 posts, read 710,713 times

Advertisements

I can take a needle and am not scared and always keep still. A little sting doesn't hurt.
Today's injection was so bad I howled and nearly jumped off the table.
It was a Cortisone injection both in my Right Heel and in my Arch! My God did it hurt!
Strangely enough, to my immense relief, the pain in my foot went away. Just like that!
I have Plantar Fasciatis and this was my first time seeing a podiatrist and getting this injection. And he gave me a form for a 3 month car handicap sticker. Happy Dance!

Old 06-11-2018, 04:00 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
That is a painful injection, one of the most painful you can get...

Can be very effective but usually a little worse before it gets better.. You may be feeling good now from the local anesthetic that is typically injected along with the corticosteroid.

Don't be surprised if it gets painful again for a couple of days....maybe more than before the shot

Old 06-11-2018, 04:08 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
That is a painful injection, one of the most painful you can get...
My husband gave me an injection for plantar fasciitis, and told me the exact same thing. It was on my birthday about 10 years ago, and he told me to come in at the end of the day so as "not to disturb the patients in clinic" when I screamed, which he was sure I was going to do. I didn't scream, though I did wince and held his nurse's hand very tightly. Before he gives injections, he sometimes tells people this story and they chuckle a bit at my expense, which is okay with me.

It was numb for a day or so, and then, almost instantly, all pain was gone and I've never had trouble with it since.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 06-11-2018 at 04:22 PM..

Old 06-11-2018, 04:21 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
I can take a needle and am not scared and always keep still. A little sting doesn't hurt.
Today's injection was so bad I howled and nearly jumped off the table.
It was a Cortisone injection both in my Right Heel and in my Arch! My God did it hurt!
Strangely enough, to my immense relief, the pain in my foot went away. Just like that!
I have Plantar Fasciatis and this was my first time seeing a podiatrist and getting this injection. And he gave me a form for a 3 month car handicap sticker. Happy Dance!

I limped around and suffered from Plantar Fasciitis for about two years. I went to two different podiatrist for relief and found none. But I did get good information from that last one. He explained why it hurt so much. We sit and our bodies start to heal; then we get up and again tear that tissue. That is what causes the pain. So you want an arch support that does not allow the tissue to tear when you again stand. Of course those Cortisone shots are also very painful and mine only gave me relief for a few days.

But the one key piece of information I took away from my visits was the name of the shoe shop that made the specialized shoes for Plantar Fasciitis victims. In my area we have one shoe shop that does this work for the podiatrist. So I went down to the shoe shop to talk to the owner - he had been making shoes for many years. He told me that I wanted hard insoles to cure my problem - I had been using the softest ones I could find. He sold me one of the hard sets of insoles for my work shoes for $30 - that is a lot cheaper than the many hundreds of dollars one would pay for custom made shoes. I tried his insoles for a week and they did not work. But my thinking was they simply did not have the correct arch support. so I also added an extra slip on latex arch support. One week later I was out of the pain I had suffered from for two years! I knew coworkers that bought the expensive custom made shoes and still had pain.

I am not saying that my 'cure' will work for you. If you have a little, old, shoe maker close to your house it might be worth the visit - their information is 'free' (minus the products you buy).

PS: Good luck!

Old 06-11-2018, 04:56 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
I avoid those cortisone injections, they gave me one in the hospital when I landed there in late 2015 for the knee issue and it did nothing...of course, it was an infection going on.

From what I hear it is very temporary and softens our cartlidge and people are right back to where they were....too too bad "they" can't come up with something that really lasts. I know what I believe in more but our insurance world hasn't gone there YET.

And what our insurance is charged for these protocols that do so little, amazing.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I avoid those cortisone injections, they gave me one in the hospital when I landed there in late 2015 for the knee issue and it did nothing...of course, it was an infection going on.

From what I hear it is very temporary and softens our cartlidge and people are right back to where they were....too too bad "they" can't come up with something that really lasts. I know what I believe in more but our insurance world hasn't gone there YET.
Seeing as the OP already had the injection, your post isn't very helpful....is it?

By the way there is no "cartlidge" or even cartilage in the heel where the cortisone is injected for plantar fasciitis so no worries about softening up a structure that isn't there...

Also pretty effective for most people....in other words you don't really know much about this specific injection that you chose to comment on, do you?

Old 06-11-2018, 05:05 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Seeing as the OP already had the injection, your post isn't very helpful....is it?

By the way there is no "cartlidge" or even cartilage in the heel where the cortisone is injected for plantar fasciitis so no worries about softening up a structure that isn't there...

Also pretty effective for most people....in other words you don't really know much about this specific injection that you chose to comment on, do you?
Most???? I don't think so. Temporary if it works, yes. Doctors have nothing else to offer. The OP will see how long it lasts...so doctors I believe offer false hopes.

And it's amazing how different doctors can advise different info.

I just did a search on Alternative treatments for Plantar F...... and found a lot of info and OP could do a search too.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Most???? I don't think so. Temporary if it works, yes. Doctors have nothing else to offer. The OP will see how long it lasts...so doctors I believe offer false hopes.

And it's amazing how different doctors can advise different info.
Once again, on a topic you clearly know nothing about what you "think about" it is clearly not relevant....

"In summary, CSI tends to be more effective for pain reduction than non-invasive treatments within 3 months. Moreover, CSI provides significant pain relief at 1.5 months after treatment compared with PT. This study provides important clinical information for selecting therapeutics."
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-22402-w

Old 06-11-2018, 07:57 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,984,317 times
My first round was about 18 years ago.
Dr. Put me in a boot for 3 months.
I missed 3 months of work for basically NOTHING. Pain came back soon after.
Since then I've gone back for cortisone in both feet several times.
It's been 3 years since my last round.
Childbirth pain I forgot,
Cortisone in both feet at the same time...
I remember like yesterday!!!@@×÷=%€/$#&*

Old 06-11-2018, 10:15 PM

997 posts, read 710,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I limped around and suffered from Plantar Fasciitis for about two years. I went to two different podiatrist for relief and found none. But I did get good information from that last one. He explained why it hurt so much. We sit and our bodies start to heal; then we get up and again tear that tissue. That is what causes the pain. So you want an arch support that does not allow the tissue to tear when you again stand. Of course those Cortisone shots are also very painful and mine only gave me relief for a few days.

But the one key piece of information I took away from my visits was the name of the shoe shop that made the specialized shoes for Plantar Fasciitis victims. In my area we have one shoe shop that does this work for the podiatrist. So I went down to the shoe shop to talk to the owner - he had been making shoes for many years. He told me that I wanted hard insoles to cure my problem - I had been using the softest ones I could find. He sold me one of the hard sets of insoles for my work shoes for $30 - that is a lot cheaper than the many hundreds of dollars one would pay for custom made shoes. I tried his insoles for a week and they did not work. But my thinking was they simply did not have the correct arch support. so I also added an extra slip on latex arch support. One week later I was out of the pain I had suffered from for two years! I knew coworkers that bought the expensive custom made shoes and still had pain.

I am not saying that my 'cure' will work for you. If you have a little, old, shoe maker close to your house it might be worth the visit - their information is 'free' (minus the products you buy).

PS: Good luck!
The podiatrist recommended a midsole support and stiff shank-stability type. He said Dicks Sporting Goods carries "Superfeet Arch Support in Wide".
He also recommended "New Balance" running sneaker activity shoes--However, I had just ought an expensive pair of Merrill Hiker Shoes with a firm foot bed. They should do.
I am to do achilles heel stretching 20 reps, hold 3 secs before I get up from bed, car, chair, desk
I am to wear an orthotic 95% percent of the day. No slippers or bare feet.

My foot is pain free tonight I hope it lasts. I have to go on an active vacation in 2 weeks where I will be doing a lot of walking.
By the way a few weeks ago, I bought Dr. Scholls's Pain Relief "Plantar Fasciitis" insert and they aren't that firm. I even tried the Mens Work Boot vareity in the past; and also not so firm (I am a lady with wide feet)

Thanks for advice everybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness