Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 06:36 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,833,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
LOL, I always figure that a restaurant knows the quality of their burger meat, and refusing to serve a rare burger to a customer requesting it that way might just be an unspoken commentary on the quality of that meat. Just a thought, it's probably more of a CYA action on their part.

I don't often order hamburgers when I go out to eat, having found that the burgers I cook at home are much better than most I've eaten in restaurants. We generally buy very lean burger meat (90 to 93% fat), and cook them rare to medium rare as preferred by our individual family members.

No, in some places restaurants are not permitted to sell "rare" meat, or, they , as a company policy, do not do it for liability reasons. In this sue happy society, businesses have to cover their butts.

Just this week, we ate out, and I ordered a burger, and they asked "Medium or Well Done"? I always choose as pink as they will allow, so I went with Medium. It was fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 06:45 PM

1,517 posts, read 989,843 times
Quote:
That's a LONG time ago. January 1993, I was just a month old. If that's the last major instance, then it truly is a rare thing.
Quote:
That was the last major incident because internal temperature requirements for hamburgers were changed after that.

Yep.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:18 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,776,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue100 View Post
I was at an Irish pub type place (wings, beer, sandwiches, etc) a couple of hours ago and ordered a cheeseburger medium rare. I understand the risks, but this place is very clean and specializes in sandwiches, salads, stuff like that. However, when I got the burger, it was even rarer than I had expected, but I decided to eat it anyway because it didn't look that terrible and certainly tasted fine to me. This was definitely the rarest burger I have ever eaten, and pieces of the pink meat were literally falling onto my plate when I picked it up. It was one of those instances where I don't think I should have done what I did, but it's too late now. I have been worried ever since we got the check, but so far I feel nothing, however it's only been about 3 hours. When I told my grandfather and asked him what he thought, he looked really concerned and said, "You're in for it later tonight." I have no idea whether this place grinds their own meat, but I wouldn't imagine so. I also didn't see a disclaimer written on the menu, but being that the menu was a few pages long, it could have been somewhere else besides underneath the burger section. So my main question is how long will it take before I know that I am home free? Also, are the odds really greatly in the favor of me getting dangerously ill, like to the point of hugging the toilet and requiring hospitalization? I'm really just looking for answers to the questions and not for people to tell me I did a stupid thing. If it helps, this place is not a fancy restaurant, but not a dump or a chain either. Just a run-of-the-mill Irish pub.
Not that you should do this, but I think you're at much lower risk from eating undercooked beef than eating undercooked chicken. Yes, there's a very small risk of contracting enterotoxigenic E. coli, leading to hemolytic uremic syndrome, but it's really a very small risk. Whereas a LOT of the poultry we eat is contaminated with campylobacter and salmonella, which can make you pretty darn miserable with horrible, long-lasting infectious colitis (but probably won't kill you) if the poultry is not thoroughly cooked.

Long explanation, but simple answer. No, you probably will NOT get sick.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:02 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,312,500 times
Has anyone heard from the OP? Hopefully they're not in thehospital.

The germs are on the surface so a nicely seared rare steak is safe but with burgers the surface is ground up and distributed throughout.
I've heard they radiate beef now so you're probably safe.
Don't ever be afraid of asking nicely for it to be cooked longer - unless you're my son who is convinced your food will be spit in if you send it back. He's paranoid. (He's also worked in restaurants.)

Old 07-06-2018, 07:22 AM

1,183 posts, read 707,659 times
Quote:
I was at an Irish pub type place (wings, beer, sandwiches, etc) a couple of hours ago and ordered a cheeseburger medium rare. I understand the risks, but this place is very clean and specializes in sandwiches, salads, stuff like that. However, when I got the burger, it was even rarer than I had expected, but I decided to eat it anyway because it didn't look that terrible and certainly tasted fine to me. This was definitely the rarest burger I have ever eaten, and pieces of the pink meat were literally falling onto my plate when I picked it up. It was one of those instances where I don't think I should have done what I did, but it's too late now. I have been worried ever since we got the check, but so far I feel nothing, however it's only been about 3 hours. When I told my grandfather and asked him what he thought, he looked really concerned and said, "You're in for it later tonight." I have no idea whether this place grinds their own meat, but I wouldn't imagine so. I also didn't see a disclaimer written on the menu, but being that the menu was a few pages long, it could have been somewhere else besides underneath the burger section. So my main question is how long will it take before I know that I am home free? Also, are the odds really greatly in the favor of me getting dangerously ill, like to the point of hugging the toilet and requiring hospitalization? I'm really just looking for answers to the questions and not for people to tell me I did a stupid thing. If it helps, this place is not a fancy restaurant, but not a dump or a chain either. Just a run-of-the-mill Irish pub.
He probably also thinks you can't have pink lamb, thinks pork will kill you if not cooked into leather already, and fries his fish till its like shoe soles.

I wouldn't put too much stock in his opinion.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:36 AM

50,254 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You can get E Coli from plenty of other foods. Hell, you can apparently get it from romaine lettuce. It's still pretty ahem ... uncommon (despite what the news media and social media would have you believe).

I think what you're most in danger of at this point stressing yourself out to the point of making yourself sick.
E Coli is a real problem in S Cal as so many farms use illegal labor. You won't see any outhouses in the fields from the unscrupulous farmers.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:51 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,239,173 times
Quote:
Well, it's been a few days, are you still alive?

Old 07-06-2018, 08:42 AM

50,254 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Always wash down with good alcohol to kill any bugs.

Old 07-06-2018, 02:10 PM

257 posts, read 177,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
From my link: The difference between steak and a burger is this: "Unlike a rare steak, a rare burger is risky because the germs from the outside of the meat have been ground inside."

Um yeah, and so with steak tartare - "Steak tartare is a meat dish made from raw ground meat" - the germs from the outside of the meat have also been ground inside, just like burger meat, which was my point when I made the steak tartare/burger comparison.

Old 07-06-2018, 02:18 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,754,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmonkey View Post
Um yeah, and so with steak tartare - "Steak tartare is a meat dish made from raw ground meat" - the germs from the outside of the meat have also been ground inside, just like burger meat, which was my point when I made the steak tartare/burger comparison.
Slab meat has germs on the outside, fairly easily washed off and killed by even gentle cooking on the outer layer.

Ground meat (including things like cube steak and blade-tenderized meat) has the germs spread all through it, and a vast amount of surface area on which to proliferate, and can only be made safe by making every part of it reach 160 degrees for 30 seconds or so.

Steak tartare, which goes from slab meat to minced to eaten in minutes, has no more germs than any slab meat and no time for the germs to proliferate. It's probably less safe than even lightly-cooked slab, but probably much, much safer than anything made from pre-ground meat.

Not that I can stand any meat more than middling-pink in the center. You rawsters can have the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness