Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 04:44 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times

Advertisements

It's my own fault. My trainer warned me about extending my arm in repetitive motions.

The soonest I can get in to see my doctor is Tuesday and he's probably just going to say, "Yup, that's the problem" and refer me to an ortho.

How do I deal with the pain in the meantime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 04:49 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Ibuprofen

Old 11-02-2018, 05:10 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
I’m already on that for knee pain. 800 mg/day.

The last couple of days when I extended my arm, I could hear clicks in my upper arm and shoulder and I could feel something moving. I guess that was a warning.

It started to hurt, a dull deep pain, after I did Scaption, two sets.

Old 11-02-2018, 05:20 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Put it in a sling, my friend...ice is better than a systemic anti-inflammatory....but that's me ...for sleeping
u may have to, sure. Damn.
Do everything the pt tells you when you go. It'll be ok...

Old 11-02-2018, 05:46 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,389,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Put it in a sling, my friend...ice is better than a systemic anti-inflammatory....but that's me ...for sleeping
u may have to, sure. Damn.
Do everything the pt tells you when you go. It'll be ok...
I agree. Immobilization and cold packs really help. I would suggest adding acetaminophen to the ibuprofen for better pain relief (there's a reason codeine and hydrocodone come with acetaminophen).

Most rotator cuff injuries heal without surgery.

Good luck.

Old 11-02-2018, 06:12 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
I agree. Immobilization and cold packs really help. I would suggest adding acetaminophen to the ibuprofen for better pain relief (there's a reason codeine and hydrocodone come with acetaminophen).

Most rotator cuff injuries heal without surgery.

Good luck.
A combination of acetaminophen and ibuprofen can relieve severe pain very effectively....more so than either of them separately. Ibuprofen for it's anti-inflammatory effects which reduces swelling/pain, the acetaminophen because it reduces the response and sensitivity to pain impulses (if I understand that correctly). You wouldn't want to do this for more than a day or so however.

When I have a soft tissue injury (pretty often because I stupidly tend to overdo things) I usually ice it, rest it, take some ibuprofen.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-02-2018 at 06:22 PM..

Old 11-02-2018, 06:21 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
You will need an mri and the doctor will take it from there. We have a friend whose rotator cuff healed on its own. My husband just had surgery with 7 screws put in. There is no point guessing until you have facts.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:11 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
A combination of acetaminophen and ibuprofen can relieve severe pain very effectively....more so than either of them separately. Ibuprofen for it's anti-inflammatory effects which reduces swelling/pain, the acetaminophen because it reduces the response and sensitivity to pain impulses (if I understand that correctly).
You *must* use them correctly, though. Alternate the dosages- for example, if Tylenol and Ibuprofen are (each) every four hours, take the Tylenol, then, two hours later take the Ibuprofen and continue to alternate every two hours. (I rarely take these, so I am not really familiar with the dosing schedules, just alternate by splitting the time between them...this is what I was advised by an MD.)

Old 11-02-2018, 07:44 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
You will need an mri and the doctor will take it from there. We have a friend whose rotator cuff healed on its own. My husband just had surgery with 7 screws put in. There is no point guessing until you have facts.
I tore my rotator cuff and I just got an ex ray. MRI seems like overkill, but I could be wrong. My ortho gave me a cortisone shot and I did two weeks with a PT, so mine wasn't bad even though it was very painful. Your husband obviously had a more intense injury and the MRI was warranted. Also, it can takes weeks to get one depending on insurance and availability.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:38 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I’m already on that for knee pain. 800 mg/day.

The last couple of days when I extended my arm, I could hear clicks in my upper arm and shoulder and I could feel something moving. I guess that was a warning.

It started to hurt, a dull deep pain, after I did Scaption, two sets.
Ice your shoulder and see your doc Tuesday. If it gets worse go to minute clinic or ER
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness