Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 06:32 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times

Advertisements

I hope some of you can share your experience. I got the second shot yesterday, and I am wiped out today. I checked online; I think my side effects—fatigue, chills, arm pain, muscle pain—are in line with what I read. My first Shingrix produced only arm pain. I’ve never had a reaction to a vaccine before, ever.

What has your experience with Shingrix (the latest shingles vaccines) been? How long did you feel bad, if you did?

Please, please, do not post anti vaccine posts. Mods will close the thread. This thread is NOT about your feelings about vaccines. Thank you.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:02 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
I had no reaction at all to either injection. I've gotten all the shingles and pneumonia vaccinations, as well as the annual flu shots, and have never had a reaction to any of them.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:06 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
I've only had the first shot so far but had no reaction. dh has had both and no reactions to either one.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:09 PM

1,204 posts, read 935,624 times
I had both shots, and experienced quite a bit of localized arm soreness for a few days after each one. More so than any other vaccine or shot I’ve had. After the second, I was a little tired and achy, but I got the shot on the day I arrived home after a long driving trip, so not sure if it was the vaccine, or just recovering from a strenuous event.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:18 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
I had a very sore arm after the first one and somewhat of a sick-to-my-stomach feeling for the day after and tiredness for a couple days. I had much less of a reaction after the second shot - I did wise up and take Excedrin to ward off any arm aches!

I've never had anything more than a sore arm arm after other vaccines so this was surprising but I felt the benefit far outweighed the brief discomfort and I didn't hesitate in getting the second shot after the designated 60 day period.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:18 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
My brother had a similar reaction to the first shot as your own Silibran. It was bad enough he called me to let me know, as I have been trying to find a doctor who has it available. He said the 2nd dose was not as bad, but he still didn't feel terrific for a couple of days. A friend had the same experience. I have been trying to get it after 3 bouts of shingles in my eye. I take Valacyclovir daily, and would love to get off it. Yesterday the doctor told me even if I get the vaccine I can't stop the pills, as they don't cure shingles, only prevent an outbreak. Since the virus can be dormant in my eye, I need the pills. I'm rethinking getting the vaccine at all.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:41 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
I was wondering what was wrong with me and now I know, so thanks for this thread.

I got the second shot Oct. 22. I felt fine for several weeks. About 5 weeks ago I began having bad shoulder pain in the shot site, arm pain, joint pain everywhere, and a feeling of being unwell. The joint pain makes it very hard to get out of bed and my usual Tylenol does very little to help, as before. I do have arthritis, but was never this bad before.

In addition, my fingers are swelling and the joints hurt. Also my left foot is not itself. I woke up one night with very bad muscle pain on the top side of the foot.
Apparently this is all nerve pain, which I never anticipated. The first shot was ok. This one is very very different.

I pray this goes away before gardening season, because I will never be able to plant anything in the shape I am in now.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:44 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times
had both shots as recommended.
had the exact same reaction each time.

arm stiffness after injection.
fever symptoms overnight.
ok the next day.

if this is all it takes to avoid shingles,
it is worth it in my opinion.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:53 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
I do believe my strange reaction was not typical, so don't be swayed. It's just my body that reacts crazy to some meds, some allergens, foods, smells, etc.

I probably should have considered that before doing the second shot.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:59 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,769,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Yesterday the doctor told me even if I get the vaccine I can't stop the pills, as they don't cure shingles, only prevent an outbreak. Since the virus can be dormant in my eye, I need the pills. I'm rethinking getting the vaccine at all.
I don't get it - the vaccine doesn't cure shingles either, it just prevents the virus you already have from activating. But that sounds like what the acyclovir is doing also. So why get the shot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness