Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2019, 08:46 AM

37,469 posts, read 61,415,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
... Now, let's be honest : do most people start drinking, smoking, doing drugs, past 25 or before ? People catch these habits when they are young, not in their 30s. MJ will cause brain issues, even undetected to any habitual user, but is more damaging to the youth who represent the majority of users anyway.
I support legalizing marijuana. I voted for it when it was on our ballot.

I am a member of a private Organic Certifying agency [in fact they originated 'Certified Organic' in 1970], and they currently certify 'Clean Marijuana' for our local growers.

During my young adult years, I held fairly high-security clearances and I participated in monthly 'random' drug tests for 20-years.

At 55 I got cancer, it was removed and I tested clean of cancer for 4 years. Then last year my cancer came back. So last Summer I went through a long series of radiation treatments along with hormone therapy [Testosterone Deprivation Therapy]. My hormone therapy will go on for a total of 2 years, I have another year to go on it.

'Testosterone Deprivation Therapy' is nearly wrecking my life.

I have hot flashes and sweats, which I am learning to handle.

My breast tenderness and growth has shocked me. I really wasn't ready for that. I am experiencing loss of muscle strength, fatigue/excessive daytime sleepiness, depression and emotional distress. I feel like I have become bi-polar. I have noticed mood swings, I am going through some periods of dark depression. My 'high's are at best clear and rational thought, not really happy nor energized. Beyond about noon time I feel very tired like I want to lay down and sleep. But I can not get to sleep even if I try. I am just dragging along in a fog.

But what really scares me is they say for me to expect 'cognition and memory decline', and bone mineral density loss.

It has been explained to me that my mental stress is multiplying the side effects of the treatment I am on.
So I have begun smoking a bowl of pot every night before I go to bed. I get more rest when I sleep now.

My hot flashes and sweats hit me less often. I am working out to lessen the muscle loss. My fatigue depression and emotional distress, and mood swings / depression is less now.

I would never smoke pot during the day, as I do not want to become impaired. I do not see it much differently from drinking a glass of wine. You are not going to toss back a glass of wine and then go out for a drive, right?

I use pot within an hour before I go to bed. I think that I am sleeping much better now, and that seems to be relieving all those other mental problems that have risen from my 'Testosterone Deprivation Therapy'.

As to loss of libido. My cancer surgery removed my prostate and the nerve bunder in that region. Now I am on the same drug used for 'Chemical castration'. I have no Testosterone. None, zero, ... I can not honestly say if smoking pot would affect libido. As the doctors purposefully removed my libido to fight cancer.

I have no idea if this will change the expected 'cognition and memory decline', or bone mineral density loss.

I started using marijuana at 59. So far it is helping me.

When I voted to legalize marijuana, I had no idea that I was ever going to be a medical user. I voted to legalize it because it is a plant. Our nation made it illegal due to racism, and for no other reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 09:10 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,097,756 times
Submariner:

"I voted to legalize it because it is a plant. Our nation made it illegal due to racism, and for no other reasons."

Truth.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The cause has been hurt by high taxes. In NJ one reason for the delay is exactly that. Many want taxes capped at 10% (which would be lowest in the country) because they found states that taxed it at too high a rate did not accomplish their goal of putting the illegal sellers out of business. This is all pretty new, and like anything else will have a learning curve, but I do think once it’s legal Federally a large dent at the least wil be made.
As long as kids want to buy it, there will always be a black market.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:18 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
As long as kids want to buy it, there will always be a black market.
What is your point in the end? Are you arguing against legalization for adults on the basis of kids using? You’ve just established kids will always be able to obtain it illegally, so why be against legalization for everyone else?

Would your son be better off if he had a record that would ruin his life on top of whatever else he experienced?

The illegal trade will still exist to some degree, just as some people still sell Moonshine. It will drastically cut the legs out from cartels though IMO.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Also if your son was a minor, know no one here is advocating its' use for kids. Just as with alcohol, it's meant for adults and the fact kids can get it very easily illegally, easier than alcohol which is regulated, should be a persuading argument for you for legalization.

The guys who sold your son that pot would not have been in business had it been legalized. As it is, any junior high student can get you pot, it's easier to get as a kid than as an adult. So make sure you really understand what you're fighting for when you are pro-prohibition.
Quote:
Are you arguing against legalization for adults on the basis of kids using? You’ve just established kids will always be able to obtain it illegally, so why be against legalization for everyone else?
You're confusing me with hunterseat.

I'm not arguing against legalization.

I'm just taking issue with your assertion that if pot was legal, the black market wouldn't exist.

EDIT:

Kids will still buy it on the black market, which is not going away.

"The guys who sold your son that pot would not have been in business had it been legalized."

Bad argument. I am not attacking you. I am on your side. Get mad at me if you want, but you should learn how to present your argument more effectively.

Last edited by AguaDulce; 02-14-2019 at 09:40 AM..

Old 02-14-2019, 09:54 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,480,811 times
Quote:
I'm not arguing against legalization.

I'm just taking issue with your assertion that if pot was legal, the black market wouldn't exist.
There's not much of a black market with alcohol is there?

Considering the current state of the legality of cannabis, we can't make a direct comparison.

So if it was available in all 50 states and as legal as alcohol and the pricing was not out of bounds I don't believe there would be a black market. There would be no need, you would be able to go to a store or dispensary and get it at a reasonable price. You would also be able to grow your own. It's still illegal to distill your own liquor although there are some that brew their own beer.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
There's not much of a black market with alcohol is there?

Considering the current state of the legality of cannabis, we can't make a direct comparison.

So if it was available in all 50 states and as legal as alcohol and the pricing was not out of bounds I don't believe there would be a black market. There would be no need, you would be able to go to a store or dispensary and get it at a reasonable price. You would also be able to grow your own. It's still illegal to distill your own liquor although there are some that brew their own beer.
We were specifically talking about where kids get weed.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:18 AM

37,469 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Which is the better source for marijuana?

A- foreign Drug Cartel [backed by the CIA]

B- every fifth house in every neighborhood grows a few plants in their backyard and supplies customers on their block [black market].

C- discrete little shop on the border of town selling legal licensed Organic-Certified products from regional farmers, everyone paying the appropriate sales taxes and all workers earning a taxable wage.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Which is the better source for marijuana?

A- foreign Drug Cartel [backed by the CIA]

B- every fifth house in every neighborhood grows a few plants in their backyard and supplies customers on their block [black market].

C- discrete little shop on the border of town selling legal licensed Organic-Certified products from regional farmers, everyone paying the appropriate sales taxes and all workers earning a taxable wage.
I'm not sure what your point is. Of course "A" is terrible and weed should be legal.

MY point was that legalization won't solve the problem of kids buying weed, and it's bad to use that as an argument for legalization.

There are plenty of other arguments. EXCELLENT arguments.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:22 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Cartels are not going to be what they are now when their only market is kids. Kids will get it the same way they get alcohol now, ask a 21 year old brother, fake I.d., steal it from their parents, etc. that’s the American way, lol. But at least it will be standardized and meet quality and safety standards.

You’re right I should not have made it a definitive statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness