Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 12:34 AM

54 posts, read 35,910 times

Advertisements

On our way up hiking again today, I complained of the bra I wore feeling pain in my armpit.

Oddly it wasn't tight ( a new bra) but kept feeling this pain. On Sunday we went hiking. I looked for ticks but found none.

Showered without my glasses as usual today and started pulling on the pain area. Skin was being stretched then snapped. I thought I was holding a thorn. Instead it was a tick. That's what has been knawing at me making me think it was an inside pain

Now I am worried about Lime Disease.

I kept the tick but wondered since it's been 6 days is there anything i can do to head off lime disease. My Doctor doesn't work weekends. And can the tick be examined for lime disease. It was put in a ziploc bag. The area where I pulled the tick off still hurts. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 01:03 AM

It's the exact looking tick- a nymth in size and a western blacklegged tick.

I live in Northern California

I'll call the Nurse tomorrow morning for antibiotics

There is a rash and some pain in the area

Old 05-04-2019, 07:49 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,782,302 times
There are other tick-borne health concerns though Lyme Disease is the one which tends to come to mind first. By all means get to a doctor or nurse ASAP. I'm also in Northern California and have dealt with ehrliciosis from ticks in two of my horses. People can also get ehrliciosis. Antibiotics fixed them up but it's nothing to ignore.

I've had several tick issues from hiking and working on my property. I never became truly ill but it wasn't an experience I'd care to repeat. Mine were on the back of my neck and in the crook of my elbow. I did get the rash but never tested positive for Lyme or anything else. Were you able to get the tick's head out?

I don't know if they can test the tick. Mine never survived extraction in any condition to save. I'd like to know . . . please come back and update us.

If you don't mind my asking, where were you hiking? My experiences were in the Nevada County and Yuba County foothills.

Old 05-04-2019, 08:16 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
My daughter was bitten by a tick but the doctor didn't want to prescribe anything until she started having symptoms. We're in TX though.

Old 05-04-2019, 08:56 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Edit: Oh, I see, now, you did get a little rash in the area....I will leave what
I wrote, tho. You are smart seeing someone.
First sign of anything, Go to the MD. Not all ticks carry Lyme. Thank God.

Pep talk:
Build up your immune system now...(I mean, that's what I would do.)
Increase water, all that stuff...no sugar, white flour...organic food, esp coffee....get
your liver in tip top shape.

We can't just roll over and 'let' this darn bacteria do it's thing...imo....
we circle our wagons and battle any chance of it...if there is a slight chance of it.

Watch for headaches, low energy, rash, slightest fever...This is SO good you are aware of the darn thing at the start!

Old 05-04-2019, 09:07 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
Look for a red bullseye around the area where the tick was.

My daughter had a tick other leg the other day. We pulled it out and she got a same day doctor appointment. They gave her antibiotics just to be safe. My other daughter has Lyme disease and it is not something you want. Better safe than sorry.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:32 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,683,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Look for a red bullseye around the area where the tick was.

My daughter had a tick other leg the other day. We pulled it out and she got a same day doctor appointment. They gave her antibiotics just to be safe. My other daughter has Lyme disease and it is not something you want. Better safe than sorry.
People get bitten by ticks all the time. They don’t prescribe everyone antibiotics because that builds antibiotic resistance. Certainly the OP should go to the doctor and get tested. I had one friend who got tested and she came back negative, but my sister’s FIL got tested after he got bitten while visiting them and ended up getting the treatment while there. I have gotten bitten several times but have never had any symptoms.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:05 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
People get bitten by ticks all the time. They don’t prescribe everyone antibiotics because that builds antibiotic resistance. Certainly the OP should go to the doctor and get tested. I had one friend who got tested and she came back negative, but my sister’s FIL got tested after he got bitten while visiting them and ended up getting the treatment while there. I have gotten bitten several times but have never had any symptoms.
Its true not all ticks carry the disease. But having a daughter with Lyme disease makes us more proactive.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:06 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,525,082 times
Definitely bring the tick. My neighbor had the bullseye and the red ring and it looked awful, but the doctor looked at the tick and said it was a dog tick, not a deer tick, so while it felt awful, it would sort itself out.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:18 AM

Thanks everyone. My suspicions are I'll be at the doctor tomorrow bringing the tick and obtaining antibiotics. It hurts less today so maybe that's a good sign after a week

I got the tick on Stevens Trail near Colfax California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness