Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 02:36 PM

54 posts, read 35,917 times

Advertisements

Went to the Doctor. He said it wasn't a bullseye as many here have already stated.

I was given a 1x high dose of antibiotics and he looked at the tick. Correct species.

Not sure but might be dropping the tick off to get tested, we need to drive a few hours tomorrow anyhow.

Tick is dead in a ziploc bag but intact. His head never stayed in my wounds.

Avon's skin so soft tick repellant doesn't work that great and needs to be re-applied every 15 min or so.

I'll need to do research on inexpensive tick repellents

Thanks everyone for your info and good wishes.

I'll update if there is a negative outcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 04:06 PM

2,529 posts, read 2,783,073 times
Thanks for the update. Hopefully you'll have an uncomplicated recovery. I never found a foolproof tick repellent. I make sure to tuck my pants inside my socks and all of those types of precautions but obviously it wasn't effective.

I had the classic bullseye on my crook-of-the-elbow bite but have never tested positive for Lyme. Wish they'd come up with a definitive test.

Happy hiking and hoping for no more tick encounters (or anything else creepy, crawly or slithery, for that matter).

Old 05-05-2019, 04:17 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,848,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I thought that was called Tequila Trauma.
No way. Nothing harmful can survive in tequila; limes on the other hand...

Old 05-05-2019, 05:28 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,231,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingOnTheCheap. View Post
On our way up hiking again today, I complained of the bra I wore feeling pain in my armpit.

Oddly it wasn't tight ( a new bra) but kept feeling this pain. On Sunday we went hiking. I looked for ticks but found none.

Showered without my glasses as usual today and started pulling on the pain area. Skin was being stretched then snapped. I thought I was holding a thorn. Instead it was a tick. That's what has been knawing at me making me think it was an inside pain

Now I am worried about Lime Disease.

I kept the tick but wondered since it's been 6 days is there anything i can do to head off lime disease. My Doctor doesn't work weekends. And can the tick be examined for lime disease. It was put in a ziploc bag. The area where I pulled the tick off still hurts. Thanks
Yes Go immediately to your Dr. they can test your blood ....then, Call and/or Take the tick to the Co. Extension service in your area, see if they can test it.

I got lyme desease back in 2000. I got it working under pine trees....digging in the dirt with moccasin type shoes....not protecting myself. Bats lived in those trees, unbeknownst to me at that time. Deer ticks aren't the only carriers from what I've learned. I had to find a Dr. that would give me the recommended 12 weeks of antibiotic....this was a controversial thing back then, and evidently still is.

I cannot remember the name of the antibiotic....but my daughter had searched the internet and found as much as she could on the disease, .....and it was highly recommended back then. Try searching for articles related to antibiotics to treat lyme disease....I'll try to see if I can find the name and if I do, I'll add it to your thread.

Even with that aggress antibiotic treatment it still took nearly 2 years to feel normal energy....It came back a lil at a time.

My first symtoms were flu like, and my joints stated cracking...when I'd get up, my knee cracked...this went on for almost a week....flu-ish, joint....noise, not really pain yet. I never had the bullseye rash. I went to the Dr. there, I was visiting my then fiancé..I tested positive for lyme.....His Dr. refused to treat me with the 12 weeks of antibiotics....I had to search for a Dr. and I took the info with me....I found a female country Dr. who worked with me....I believe after seeing how many people have had devastating decades of horrible lyme disease, that this Dr. saved my life.

I hope that you do not have it....but I know that the sooner you get tested and start treatment the better the outcome. Prayers for you.

ETA: Lemon grass Eucalyptus by Cutter is my go to skeeter/tick repellant. And, I'm very paranoid so I researched this thoroughly a few years ago. I no longer have the link saved, but a couple of years ago CDC recommended this as the strongest repellent that didn't have deet. So...research it yourselves...but I personally won't use anything else. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Repel-Lem...10090302008005

Last edited by JanND; 05-05-2019 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: added link/text

Old 05-05-2019, 05:46 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,401,123 times
You're Right...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
No way. Nothing harmful can survive in tequila; limes on the other hand...

Glad for the update on the doc and antibiotics.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:45 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,436,557 times
Quote:
Went to the Doctor. He said it wasn't a bullseye as many here have already stated.

I was given a 1x high dose of antibiotics and he looked at the tick. Correct species.

Not sure but might be dropping the tick off to get tested, we need to drive a few hours tomorrow anyhow.

Tick is dead in a ziploc bag but intact. His head never stayed in my wounds.

Avon's skin so soft tick repellant doesn't work that great and needs to be re-applied every 15 min or so.

I'll need to do research on inexpensive tick repellents

Thanks everyone for your info and good wishes.

I'll update if there is a negative outcome
How much and what kind of antibiotic did you get? That may not be enough. Google Dr. Burrascano's Lyme Treatment Guidelines. He has protocols for treating a recent bite, including dosages and specific antibiotics for everything from children, to pregnant woman, to adults.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:53 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,326,483 times
Quote:
On our way up hiking again today, I complained of the bra I wore feeling pain in my armpit.

Oddly it wasn't tight ( a new bra) but kept feeling this pain. On Sunday we went hiking. I looked for ticks but found none.

Showered without my glasses as usual today and started pulling on the pain area. Skin was being stretched then snapped. I thought I was holding a thorn. Instead it was a tick. That's what has been knawing at me making me think it was an inside pain

Now I am worried about Lime Disease.

I kept the tick but wondered since it's been 6 days is there anything i can do to head off lime disease. My Doctor doesn't work weekends. And can the tick be examined for lime disease. It was put in a ziploc bag. The area where I pulled the tick off still hurts. Thanks

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!
You can send tick to UMass for tests- they take cc
https://ag.umass.edu/services/tick-b...se-diagnostics

https://www.tickreport.com/pricing

They tests from all over the country - they test not only for Lyme but other co- occurring diseases.
It is an awesome service - our family from all over the US used it several times.
Everybody should do that for a piece of mind

Good luck to OP!

Last edited by Nik4me; 05-06-2019 at 08:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness