Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 10:31 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times

Advertisements

In case you go to the doc, it's LYME disease not Lime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 11:05 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
You can go on doxycycline, 100 mg am and pm, for a month, prophylactically. Or you could take doxy, 200 mg single dose, or maybe for twice a day for three days, as prophylaxis. Usually, the tick doesn't transmit Lyme bacteria to you until just before it drops off, so you probably were only recently exposed.

Frankly, I have seen so many cases of Lyme that wasn't cured by the standard month of doxy, that I'd feel better doing the prophylaxis. And the test is imperfect - I've seen case of obvious clinical Lyme, and the test came back negative, never turned positive, or didn't turn positive until months after symptoms had begun.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:09 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Lyme disease is mostly carried by very, very small Deer Ticks. If it were a larger tick it may not be a carrier. Still I would look for a bullseye rash, and other symptoms like headaches and joint pain. Just to be safe, go to a doctor and have them prescribe a ten day regimen of Doxycycline. Lyme disease tests are notorious for false negatives, and false positives, so you really never know, and you may NOT get symptoms right away. It is better to do the antibiotic treatment right away. Don't wait.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:29 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,779,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingOnTheCheap. View Post
Thanks everyone. My suspicions are I'll be at the doctor tomorrow bringing the tick and obtaining antibiotics. It hurts less today so maybe that's a good sign after a week

I got the tick on Stevens Trail near Colfax California.
Wow! That's close enough. I was in Empire Mine in Grass Valley on one of the off-the-beaten-path single track trails on Osbourne Hill when I got them on my neck.

Glad you're feeling a bit better. Thanks for the update.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:30 AM

54 posts, read 35,868 times
Damn...got the bullseye! Dark brown round spot surrounded by a perfectly round rash

Nurse called back and wants us to go into Urgent Care. I really DO NOT want to, that is SO costly and my Health insurance deductible is High, it's $1000

I'd pay the $300-$500 for the out of pocket visit

Waiting until Monday morning, it would only cost me a donation to the Indian Health Clinic of $75

Actually it costs nothing being Native American... but I always make a $75 donation since it's a non-profit set up. I usually only go there for my Dental since they take my Dental insurance and I hardly pay anything for a cleaning. I donate the $50 yearly deductible.

FYI: I have 72 hrs to get to the doctor for antibiotics but maybe we'll go right now. It's a 3.5 hr round trip.

I guess I am going to the Doctor now. It appears it's lyme disease so it's best to get the antibiotics now. Will update when I get back
Attached Thumbnails
Pain under armpit, found a tick while shaving-screen-shot-2019-05-04-10.40.50  

Last edited by LivingOnTheCheap.; 05-04-2019 at 11:42 AM..

Old 05-04-2019, 12:56 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,432,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingOnTheCheap. View Post
On our way up hiking again today, I complained of the bra I wore feeling pain in my armpit.

Oddly it wasn't tight ( a new bra) but kept feeling this pain. On Sunday we went hiking. I looked for ticks but found none.

Showered without my glasses as usual today and started pulling on the pain area. Skin was being stretched then snapped. I thought I was holding a thorn. Instead it was a tick. That's what has been knawing at me making me think it was an inside pain

Now I am worried about Lime Disease.

I kept the tick but wondered since it's been 6 days is there anything i can do to head off lime disease. My Doctor doesn't work weekends. And can the tick be examined for lime disease. It was put in a ziploc bag. The area where I pulled the tick off still hurts. Thanks
Go to the doctor, they can do a blood test and then give you antibiotics. The sooner the better. Lymes disease if treated early usually leaves no after affects, delay treatment could mean lifelong problems.

Old 05-04-2019, 01:04 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,785,743 times
The photo isn't a bulls eye rash... might be infected though.

Old 05-04-2019, 01:07 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,432,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Its true not all ticks carry the disease. But having a daughter with Lyme disease makes us more proactive.
Yep, we had neighbors whose daughter had it and they didn't know. Doctors didn't even consider lymes until much later and by then it was too late, damage done. She has heart issues, memory problems, is tired all the time. The earlier treated the better. Bit by a tic and have symptoms get to the doctor, no symptoms or not sure if it is a cold or other bug after two weeks a blood test should be able to detect it.

Old 05-04-2019, 01:15 PM

1,264 posts, read 667,198 times
From everything I have read it sounds to me that you had a wood tick. Lyme disease is spread from deer ticks, and they are so small, about the size of a period in normal font size. I don't believe you would be able to feel one that has engorged itself under a bra strap. That is the good news. Wood ticks do carry a few nasties so to be safe I would get checked out just to be safe.
Good luck to you!

Old 05-04-2019, 02:20 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
The photo isn't a bulls eye rash... might be infected though.
Agree, it isn't. You can end up with a simple infected wound from a tick bite...disease-carrier or not. Just as it can happen from other insect bites. The "bullseye" doesn't always show up right away or ever. Been there, done that. An example of the typical rash:

https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-...f-lyme-disease
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness