Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 10:36 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times

Advertisements

Testing will allow everyone to get an accurate idea of how bad the situation is and plan accordingly. Currently, states are not mandating stay at home orders, and a lot of that is based upon how many cases there are. But they're basing that on inaccurate information because we don't know how many cases there are.

It will also help identify HOW this virus is spreading, which provides valuable information on how to prevent it.

It also identifies areas where it is spreading quickly so we can focus on making already scarce resources available to those areas that will need it most.

I think the absolutely horrible, and I actually believe criminal, lack of tests is providing a false sense of security to people in areas that don't have many cases. The fact is that they may have A LOT of cases, but they just don't know it. Same with younger people. I said in a different thread that I currently know of 6 people who have all the symptoms. They called the number they were supposed to call. And every single one of them were told to just stay home. That since they were young, they wouldn't be tested because there still just aren't enough tests, which is inexcusable. I am in Austin, TX. So people think, "Oh, there are hardly any cases in my area, so I'm safe." Or, "I'm young, so my chances of getting it are slim." Neither of which are true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 11:48 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
The husband and I have decided we wouldn't bother with testing if we get sick. We would just self-quarantine and inform those we had contact with. We would only seek medical attention if the symptoms became too much to manage at home.

Besides, they don't have enough tests - my understanding is that in some states they are only testing those with the worse symptoms.
I just heard a couple doctors on NPR talking about "what to do if one gets the virus"...they were both saying threat it like a cold, flu, etc....it's a virus and our bodies do fight off viruses. They went on to say keep hydrated, rest, vit C, zinc and the stuff one would do for flu and cold. Sure ,makes sense to me and of course like I always say, keep our immune systems in GOOD SHAPE so our bodies can fight off a virus better.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
So "just" because there is no cure for COVID-19 there's nothing that can be done? You can't give people oxygen or IV antibiotics to combat accompanying pneumonia? They just have to lie on their deathbed and make their peace with g-d? Oh - right, just take handfuls of supplements because who needs oxygen?

Whether or not you get it, and whether or not your supps work is meaningless - others....even in their 20's are getting it and are in the hospital getting treatment...and many will live because they are.
I've never said "nothing to be done"...quite the contrary, there is SO MUCH we can do!!!!! It;s a virus and our body can do a great job of fighting off viruses. Again, the stronger one's immune system, the better chances of quicker healing.

Old 03-23-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
I think you missed Jamin's point: a positive test won't change your treatment- there's no specific anti-viral meds, and if you go into resp/vent failure, you'll need to be on o2 & ventilator regardless of your test status.

To clarify on protocol after testing: if it's + then you must be in strict isolation; if it's - then you should still be in strict isolation if you're sick and relative isolation (social distancing/sheltering) even if you're not sick.
Every now and then we see eye to eye, mind to mind. I posted some comments just a few minutes ago.

Old 03-23-2020, 12:16 PM

2,201 posts, read 3,359,496 times
In my county, they said from the beginning that they would only test those who met a strict criteria and were having serious symptoms (hospitalized). Now.....they will only test those who by being tested the method of treating them would differ. They haven't had enough tests from the beginning, and still don't.

And when I see the number of positive cases in my county, my assumption is that those people are critical. Our county doesn't give details.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:11 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
I think we need more testing, so we know more. I am nit sure how we would prepare for another pandemic without very good knowledge about the spread of this one.

Knowledge is power.

And, I want to remind people that DJT was not terribly interested in this pandemic until the stock market tanked.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I think we need more testing, so we know more. I am nit sure how we would prepare for another pandemic without very good knowledge about the spread of this one.

Knowledge is power.

And, I want to remind people that DJT was not terribly interested in this pandemic until the stock market tanked.
And I think people need to change their ways, thinking, work on their immune systems so one can fight off the viruses that may come our way. Testing?????

Old 03-23-2020, 02:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I just heard a couple doctors on NPR talking about "what to do if one gets the virus"...they were both saying threat it like a cold, flu, etc....it's a virus and our bodies do fight off viruses. They went on to say keep hydrated, rest, vit C, zinc and the stuff one would do for flu and cold. Sure ,makes sense to me and of course like I always say, keep our immune systems in GOOD SHAPE so our bodies can fight off a virus better.
Please post a link to this NPR story where the doctors are saying to take Vitamin C and zinc. In their words, not the words of the commentator.

Old 03-23-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Please post a link to this NPR story where the doctors are saying to take Vitamin C and zinc. In their words, not the words of the commentator.
There is no link as two MD's were discussing this on radio this morning. But maybe there is a link, but I 'll post this info in a separate post. The words were from the MD's, two females one from UCLA and one from Huntington in Pasadena. Both allopathic MD's btw, I believe so anyway.

Old 03-23-2020, 03:13 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
There is no link as two MD's were discussing this on radio this morning. But maybe there is a link, but I 'll post this info in a separate post. The words were from the MD's, two females one from UCLA and one from Huntington in Pasadena. Both allopathic MD's btw, I believe so anyway.
What NPR show was it? It should be easy to track down.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness