Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 03:19 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
What NPR show was it? It should be easy to track down.
It was on Larry Mantel's Airtalk and you can search for it. I trust what the MD's said. And we must not forget that many who have died worldwide also had underlying health conditions and I'm thinking weak immune systems. I talked about my neighbor who is RA challenged and is taking a biologic and the drug does help her joints but attacks her body's immune system, so she is sure to take Vit C higher doses daily.

Another topic but about underlying health conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 03:33 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It was on Larry Mantel's Airtalk and you can search for it. I trust what the MD's said. And we must not forget that many who have died worldwide also had underlying health conditions and I'm thinking weak immune systems. I talked about my neighbor who is RA challenged and is taking a biologic and the drug does help her joints but attacks her body's immune system, so she is sure to take Vit C higher doses daily.

Another topic but about underlying health conditions.
1) Biologics do not "attack" your immune system, it modulates it so it does not target the joints

3/23 episode or 3/20?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-23-2020, 03:53 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times
Quote:
I just heard a couple doctors on NPR talking about "what to do if one gets the virus"...they were both saying threat it like a cold, flu, etc....it's a virus and our bodies do fight off viruses. They went on to say keep hydrated, rest, vit C, zinc and the stuff one would do for flu and cold. Sure ,makes sense to me and of course like I always say, keep our immune systems in GOOD SHAPE so our bodies can fight off a virus better.

I didn't look for that program, but this is what Mayo says for COVID-19:

Pain relievers (ibuprofen or acetaminophen)
Cough syrup or medication
Rest
Fluid intake

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...t/drc-20479976

I agree that zinc and C might be good additions. Healthy immune system most important to fight it off.

Some people are acting like this is the Black Death or something. The fact is that the MAJORITY of people have either mild or no symptoms. Most keep ignoring that. I guess panic and fear-mongering is more fun.

Old 03-23-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post

Rest
Fluid intake

I agree that zinc and C might be good additions. Healthy immune system most important to fight it off.

Some people are acting like this is the Black Death or something. The fact is that the MAJORITY of people have either mild or no symptoms. Most keep ignoring that. I guess panic and fear-mongering is more fun.
Good lord, isn't that the truth. I have no signs of any virus but if it happens, I would go with what the MD's talked about and I take the above pain reliever every day for OA issues. I did a little search on the 3/23 episode and didn't find it...but I'm not going to keep searching and searching. As I said I trust what these MD's said.

Old 03-23-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Good lord, isn't that the truth. I have no signs of any virus but if it happens, I would go with what the MD's talked about and I take the above pain reliever every day for OA issues. I did a little search on the 3/23 episode and didn't find it...but I'm not going to keep searching and searching. As I said I trust what these MD's said.
Here's all the episodes.https://www.npr.org/podcasts/381444294/air-talk

Old 03-23-2020, 04:52 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post

Rest
Fluid intake

Well, the WHO is saying to not take ibuprofen. So who do we believe, the Mayo Clinic or the World Health Organization?

And I don't see how vitamins C, D and zinc would be a bad thing. They have been shown to shorten the duration of other viruses, including the cold and flu viruses. And before someone asks, just Google it. The NIH published the study.

Old 03-23-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm not in the podcast world, and if the interview was that I do not know. They often have in studio commentators and discussions with "experts" on the phone.

Old 03-23-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
I'm not in the podcast world, and if the interview was that I do not know. They often have in studio commentators and discussions with "experts" on the phone.
The podcast is just a recording of the show. So it was on the 3/23 episode?

Old 03-23-2020, 05:01 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
Besides, they don't have enough tests - my understanding is that in some states they are only testing those with the worse symptoms.

People with the worse symptoms are going to get treated anyway so it's a complete waste to test them.

Old 03-23-2020, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Well, the WHO is saying to not take ibuprofen. So who do we believe, the Mayo Clinic or the World Health Organization?

And I don't see how vitamins C, D and zinc would be a bad thing. They have been shown to shorten the duration of other viruses, including the cold and flu viruses. And before someone asks, just Google it. The NIH published the study.
As the MD's said this morning, treat the virus as a cold or flu that we've dealt with for years. Even with the testing many come up negative on the coronaV...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness