Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2020, 06:31 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times

Advertisements

Is anyone sterilizing their face masks in an Instant Pot? There is a sterilization function but my pot came with no instructions on sterilization.

If you know more details, please post what you know. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2020, 07:08 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
No...instead my plan is to use the cpap cleaner of my BF's - it creates ozone and disinfects in 30 min. I did some research and saw that coronavirus in general is susceptible to ozone and that some doctors are doing this to extend the life of their masks.

Old 04-07-2020, 04:38 PM

I don’t have a Cpap. I’ve read that one can spritz a mask with water and microwave it for a bit.

But I can’t find specific info for cloth masks.

Today I sterilized two masks in my IP, and then laundered them.

I want any mask I put up against my face to be CLEAN.

Old 04-07-2020, 05:36 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I don’t have a Cpap. I’ve read that one can spritz a mask with water and microwave it for a bit.

But I can’t find specific info for cloth masks.

Today I sterilized two masks in my IP, and then laundered them.

I want any mask I put up against my face to be CLEAN.
You can buy the cpap "cleaner" as cheaply as $40-50 on Amazon, for example. People use them for all kinds of stuff - gym bags and shoes, etc.

But yeah, it's not going to remove dirt. Homemade masks you can wash but other surgical and N95 masks might degrade over time by being wet and if they contain any kind of metal a microwave can't be used of course.

Old 04-08-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
You can buy the cpap "cleaner" as cheaply as $40-50 on Amazon, for example. People use them for all kinds of stuff - gym bags and shoes, etc.

But yeah, it's not going to remove dirt. Homemade masks you can wash but other surgical and N95 masks might degrade over time by being wet and if they contain any kind of metal a microwave can't be used of course.
Good info. But I already have an IP with a sterilize function. Right now, I’m sterilizing for 12 min, and either wearing, or washing for wearing. I don’t sterilize shoes!

I would not mind owning a UV cleaner for personal electronics, however.

Old 04-09-2020, 11:45 AM

25,767 posts, read 12,840,301 times
I mist my N-95 with 3% Hydrogen Peroxide.

This is how hospital staffs do it that re-use cloth masks. It was first successfully tested at Duke University Medical Center.

I've only misted mine once so far, so I only misted the exterior. Next time I go out, after I return, I'll mist exterior and interior.

I leave it hanging in the garage to dry.

I did the same (mist them all over) with my safety goggles. When I go out I wear safety goggles, the N-95 mask, and latex gloves.

I remove the latex gloves in the grocery store parking lot after I unload groceries into the hatch, but before getting into the car. This way, the latex gloves never touch the door handle, steering wheel, or anything inside the car.

I use a key to pry them away from my skin enough to get a finger under the glove to remove the glove by pulling it off inside-out, so I never touch the outside of the gloves. The gloves only touch the hatch release, which I mist down 1st thing after getting out of my car, before I open the hatch to begin unloading. I then use sanitizing wipes to open the hatch, and wipe down each item before taking it inside. I have a scrap piece of sheet vinyl (like an old tablecloth) lying on the floor of my hatch. That gets wiped down with wipes or misted with Hydrogen Peroxide too.

After all the groceries are put away, I wash my hands, AND snitize them, then sanitize the counter tops the groceries sat upon during the loading into the fridge stage.

I have the process down pat now after following twice. The 1st time I had to go slow to think through each step.

Old 04-10-2020, 11:08 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,418,644 times
I bake mine in a toaster oven at 150F for 30 min.

This is hot enough to inactivate viruses but shouldn’t harm the integrity of the mask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness