Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 11:43 AM

8,478 posts, read 4,724,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
The clips from Hawk are great and I agree with the enduring quotes from The Karate Kid - especially the one regarding how important it is to look in someone's eyes when you greet them. I just don't see lowered eyes and praying hands becoming mainstream in the US.
When I think about the bow, it’s always with eyes locked. I agree with that karate kid assessment - there has to be some sort of human interaction and signal involved which is more intimate in some way than a head nod.handshakes originate from taking your weapon hand away from your weapon and using it instead to greet your enemy, both extending vulnerability, goodwill, and respect. Locking eyes had a similar intimacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2020, 01:14 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
Head nod and eye contact seem sufficient to me.

Or do a little dance if you want.

Old 04-12-2020, 03:35 PM

421 posts, read 390,615 times
I like the hand over heart greeting I get in Mexico at some of the resorts... a slight bow of the head along with it. Very nice and very warm.

https://images.app.goo.gl/hpiUzfvVDbRs2fhT6

Old 04-12-2020, 08:36 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Everyone in my circles shakes hands. It's just part of the culture. In a year, when we're all vaccinated or otherwise immune, and life has returned to normal, hand shaking will make a comeback.

Humans like to touch; we need to touch. This social distancing thing is unnatural, even for Americans who are typically more distant physically than most other cultures.

Old 04-13-2020, 01:12 AM

20,620 posts, read 4,409,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
I just don't see lowered eyes and praying hands becoming mainstream in the US.
No, to many people will find it to too religious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The Wuhan Handshake; a kick, right ankle to right ankle, left ankle to left angle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Head nod and eye contact seem sufficient to me.
Or do a little dance if you want.

I got you both covered.

Back in the day.
watch the whole video for full dance, or start @ 1:48 for the kick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1l5PFs2eTc

Old dog learning a new (kick) trick.
start @ 1:25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H8sCknvLcI

Old 04-13-2020, 07:01 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,151,892 times
The Handshake Replacement: Your Ideas-bump.gif

Old 04-13-2020, 11:12 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Raise your right hand, tucking the thumb into the palm. Then make a "V" by separating the index and middle fingers, from the ring and pinky fingers. For dramatic effect, say in a monotone, "Live long and prosper".

Tell 'em Spock sent you.

I read once that handshaking took hold among humans as a way to show that you were not holding a weapon. Personally, I like the simple nod while saying "Wassup?" Or if you want to be controversial, there's always the "Seig Heil" salutation.

I had a co-worker who, when we worked for an Italian-owned company, who would do the ancient Roman salute, making a fist and crossing his arm horizontally across his solar plexus. Not sure how authentic it was, but it was always good for a laugh.
I’ve never seen the Vulcan salute done with the thumb in. The thumb’s out.

I can only do it left handed.

Old 04-13-2020, 05:44 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Just keep your hands in your pockets and say hi!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness