Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2021, 04:26 PM

10,951 posts, read 3,692,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
A local blood bank has a slogan - donate platelets - we know you've got it in you. I've only donated whole blood. Going again next Monday.
Nice Slogan...I m a Whole Blood Only donor my entire Life/ I am so used to it, it' s a piece of Cake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 04:36 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,267,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I have a 15 gallon donor pin from The Blood Connection, which is the local bank for the Upstate SC area.. I donated so many platelets that they wound up making me anemic just from the slight blood loss each time I donated. Well, and the one time the machine blew up while I was on it and my blood went running across the floor (yep, it happens). I was going in every other week for years on end..
I can't donate platelets anymore- my platelet count is within normal range but too low to donate. I'm also too old and too skinny to donate plasma anymore. I just got back from donating whole blood this afternoon, though- my 59th donation since moving to this area in 2003, with some deferrals for travel to India and every time I got a dental implant (required a bone graft).

I'm glad they're finally relaxing their rules for people who lived in Europe or the UK for a long period- if your blood is unsafe for that reason, why can the locals donate to each other without transmitting Mad Cow Disease?

Old 03-17-2021, 06:28 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I can't donate platelets anymore- my platelet count is within normal range but too low to donate. I'm also too old and too skinny to donate plasma anymore. I just got back from donating whole blood this afternoon, though- my 59th donation since moving to this area in 2003, with some deferrals for travel to India and every time I got a dental implant (required a bone graft).

I'm glad they're finally relaxing their rules for people who lived in Europe or the UK for a long period- if your blood is unsafe for that reason, why can the locals donate to each other without transmitting Mad Cow Disease?

My biggest problem is that I moved about 20 miles from a donation center. Makes it much more difficult to get in. I keep asking them to open one up in my area. They have one in Newberry, 20 miles south, Greenville, 20 miles north and Greenwood which is 20 miles west-ish.. I'm just.. too central for it to be convenient.

Old 03-17-2021, 06:30 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
My biggest problem is that I moved about 20 miles from a donation center. Makes it much more difficult to get in. I keep asking them to open one up in my area. They have one in Newberry, 20 miles south, Greenville, 20 miles north and Greenwood which is 20 miles west-ish.. I'm just.. too central for it to be convenient.
See if there is a local doctor's office, business, or church that would like to sponsor a drive and maybe a donation center will do one via bloodmobile.

Old 03-17-2021, 06:36 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
See if there is a local doctor's office, business, or church that would like to sponsor a drive and maybe a donation center will do one via bloodmobile.

Bloodmobiles come through all the time. But you can't do platelets at a bloodmobile.

I apparently have something mildy special about my blood, because they will suck me dry. Literally calling me every other week for a platelet donation. They said one time it was because I had never been exposed to something. I never followed up on it. Probably should have.. It's not the type, because i'm just generic O+

Old 03-17-2021, 08:42 PM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
Kara: at the Blood Centers they have Pros at getting to the Hidding Veins, guaranteed...You will be just fine !!!
Well, the first gal missed it - ouch! The second gal with 30 years experience took over and she got it but said that was lucky. All else went fine!

Old 03-18-2021, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Well, the first gal missed it - ouch! The second gal with 30 years experience took over and she got it but said that was lucky. All else went fine!
Well Done !!!!!

Old 03-18-2021, 05:58 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,267,262 times
Quote:
I apparently have something mildly special about my blood, because they will suck me dry. Literally calling me every other week for a platelet donation. They said one time it was because I had never been exposed to something. I never followed up on it. Probably should have.. It's not the type, because i'm just generic O+
CMV, I'll bet- cyto-megalovirus. I noticed in my records that I'm CMV positive. It's apparently no a big deal (my sister the doctor said, "Yeah, you and about 80% of the population") but a friend who's CMV negative donates "baby bags" that can be used for transfusions to infants. They've never mentioned that option to me.

Yeah, I was right. Type O positive or negative and CMV-negative is a very special combination.

https://www.redcrossblood.org/donate...elpbabies.html

Old 03-18-2021, 06:38 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Update:

Looks like after 20 years or so, I may be able to donate blood again! It seems that my particular restriction may be lifted (if you've been turned down because you lived in Europe during the 1990s, it's worth going back in to be re-evaluated because they've changed some of the criteria).

Anyway, I went back in and resubmitted my information and they are re-evaluating me but it looks like I will be able to resume regular donations which is FANTASTIC. I always loved giving blood. I'm not particularly afraid of needles, and I have "rich" blood and a very common blood type so it's always worked well for me.
I feel like it’s such a selfless thing to do....nobody makes you do it. It’s just a gift from one human to another. A way to give back.

One thing though, the last time I gave blood, the technician hurt me, and it took him 2 tries to take my BP, so the experience makes me more reluctant now.

They test for Covid antibodies, so I know my vaccine worked.

Old 03-19-2021, 12:43 PM

I know....when people give me CRAP about the Centers are For Profit and I am wasting my time and blood I just brush them off and if I ever come across you again, bye bye !!!

It's my body, my blood and what I do with it is nobody's business but mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness