Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2021, 03:03 PM

1,147 posts, read 863,305 times

Advertisements

Blood clots can occur in the venous or arterial system and they are slightly different because the hemodynamic blood flow is different. There's a higher shear force pressure in the arteries compared to the veins. A blood clot is comprised of 80% platelets and 20% fibrin derived from the coagulation factors. Platelet climbing is more resistant to high pressure forces and so platelet clumping is usually the initiator of blood clots in arteries. We veins and venous flow the coagulation factors are usually activated and because of the lower blood pressure and flow (stasis) they can start a blood clot.

For this reason venous thrombosis involves anticoagulation of coagulation blood factors like heparin and Coumadin. Anti-platelet drugs are used for preventing arterial thrombosis. The location of the blood clot tells us a lot of the mechanisms involved. There's obvious exceptions like with AF heart where anticoagulation can be done with Coumadin or anti-platelet medications.

As mentioned hemostasis is a complicated topic and has many layers and components to it. A bleeding patients due to trauma will have multiple added variables that can interfere with clotting such as temperature out in the cold or in shock, causing a drop in pH. Some people can have lower levels of Von Willibrand Factor (type O) or they can have higher clotting factors present predisposing to clots.

The only way to reverse the effects of full dose aspirin on platelets is to give platelet transfusions. The effects of aspirin is also seen in the mucosal tissue that makes it more easier to bleed. There is some platelet resistance that are determined genetically as seen in-vitro testing but we are still unsure of its impact clinically. Most of the time its because people were not taking it or lying about it rather than them being actually resistant to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2021, 03:23 PM

4,181 posts, read 5,062,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Ask your doctor. ASK YOUR DOCTOR. A baby aspirin a day can be really good for some people. It depends totally on THE PERSON.
Yes, everyone is different. In my experience, the older doctors are quite happy to prescribe. The younger doctors are a little more up-to-date, and holistic (for lack of a better word).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Natural doesn't necessarily mean better. Some of those things you listed have contraindications too.
Agreed. I didn't want to make a long-winded post, getting into all the details. Just mentioning options for the reader investigate

Old 10-16-2021, 03:29 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Well that sure disproves it then.

Nice try, but there are numerous studies that show that donating puts you are at lower risk of clots and heart issues, there are always and always will be exceptions.

Just as there would be for Asprin.

Except that Aspirin is unpredictable and dangerous because it impairs your clotting ability.

It is the concentration of red blood cells, hemoglobin, and other factors that can put you at risk for clots. It isn't strictly platelets.

https://healthmatters.nyp.org/the-su...onating-blood/
Perhaps you'd post the links for some of those studies, then?

Don't know if you read the article you linked ( or perhaps read into it what you wanted to see), but the only mention they made of therapeutic phlebotomy was in individuals with hemochromatosis. It's not hemoglobin or red cell concentrations in the circulation that puts one at increased risk of forming clots, increased platelet concentrations, ( above 500,000 u/L ) mutations in clotting factors, or physiological processes involving inflammation would do that.

Old 10-16-2021, 07:14 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
If you haven't had a heart attack or stroke and are 60+, the bleeding risk outweighs benefits of aspirin in the elderly in new studies. Just stopped daily baby aspirin for elderly mom now. Worthwile to discuss this with your Doctor.

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/12/10452...od-task-force-
I had a minor TIA in 2017 and started taking 81 mg aspirin daily since, with no discernible ill effects. I had turned 60 a few months before the incident.

Old 10-16-2021, 08:40 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,439,526 times
It just seems like if you live long enough, you're told that everything that's good for you is bad for you, & vice versa. Oh, well. I just flip a coin.

Old 10-16-2021, 08:46 PM

1,926 posts, read 557,932 times
It's difficult to follow the science when science flip flops on some thing(s) every several years on average. I depend more on what I see than what I'm told.

Old 10-17-2021, 08:14 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
Yes, everyone is different. In my experience, the older doctors are quite happy to prescribe. The younger doctors are a little more up-to-date, and holistic (for lack of a better word).

My doctor who told me to continue taking a baby aspirin every day is a young woman. She's also a DO and not an MD.

Quote:
DOs practice an osteopathic approach to care, while MDs practice an allopathic approach to care. An allopathic approach focuses on contemporary, research-based medicine, and it often uses medications or surgery to treat and manage different conditions. An osteopathic approach to care focuses on the whole body.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...20whole%20body.

Just pointing that out. Like I said, we're all different and it is beneficial for some and not for others. ASK YOUR DOCTOR.

Old 10-17-2021, 08:15 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I had a minor TIA in 2017 and started taking 81 mg aspirin daily since, with no discernible ill effects. I had turned 60 a few months before the incident.
Bingo - I haven't had even the slightest side effect.

My platelet count is usually around 460,000 or so - higher than average but not crazy high.

Old 10-17-2021, 09:11 AM

120 posts, read 131,584 times
I was thinking the same.....timing is everything

Old 10-18-2021, 08:30 AM

5,104 posts, read 2,050,817 times
The guys of American Thinker wonder if Aspirin is now the new horse dewormer?
https://www.americanthinker.com/arti..._dewormer.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness