Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2009, 04:05 AM

139 posts, read 588,122 times

Advertisements

Cristina my foot is quite swollen I have been putting ice on it and last night actually put heat on it that made it feel better. That's what I will start doing keep the cam boot on 3 hours take it off and let foot un numb itself and apply ice to see if that helps. Thanks so much

Old 02-09-2009, 05:41 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Polar Ice - my hubby just rented one of these for his shoulder surgery. It takes a lot of ice, little over one purchased bag.

Those of you icing might want to see if your doctor will write a script for it.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:37 AM

8 posts, read 81,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrouteman View Post
Read your original post asking for exercises. My doc told me to pick up marbles with my toes. This goes toward strengthening the calf muscle and improving the dexterity of the foot. Might give you something to do.
Thanks for the insight xrouteman! This is exactly what I was looking for when making my post.

Also, I wanted to add on my time table for everyone so they have a reference point.

My break was a soccer injury due to an aggressive slide tackle. The goalie took out my planted leg and snapped my tibia and fibula clean through in the very middle of the bone (pics are posted in my Album).

12/17/08 - Broke my leg around 9:00 PM - released from ER around midnight
12/18/08 - 8:00 AM Doctor's Appointment with Orthopedic Surgeon Dr Hansen at Mclean County Orthopedics
12/19/08 - Surgery @ 12:00 PM for an Intermedullary Nailing of the Tibia. I came out of surgery with dressing around the leg due to fracture blistering and surgical wounds.
12/20/08 - Released from the hospital around 4:00 PM
12/22/08 - I removed the dressing from my leg to reveal all of the swelling and blistering that had occurred. This was a relief, I felt like my leg took a deep breathe. The swelling was sever in my ankle and foot. Elevation helped a TON and if I iced it all need the swelling would be minimal in the morning. My ankle was not really visible for the first 5 weeks post surgery

Also - I went back to work starting this day for the afternoon. I could have stayed home and relaxed but short term disability only pays 66% of your pay. I figured why sit at home when I could be at work. They gave me two hour rest time in our nurses office every day as needed as well.

12/30/08 - Stitches removed from surgery wounds, very painless.
12/31/08 - This was my first day putting a show on my foot due to swelling. I was going out to for New Years so I had to put on a slip on dress shoe. Everything was fine but the swelling in my foot was unreal since I was up for so long that night. I also found that my ankle swelled so much that one of my wounds opened from surgery.

January 2009 - During this month I dont have many updates. The swelling reduced greatly and I slowly weaned pressure on to my ankle while walking on crutches. I felt that my biggest road to recovery was going to be getting motion back in my ankle and knee. I tried to keep the most normal walking motion while crutching and it proved to help. I began driving approximately 4-5 weeks from surgery date.

2/2/09 - (approximately 6 weeks) I finally got tough and decided I was going to do full weight on my leg. I walked outside to take my dog out for the first time with no crutches. I had a major limp and my dog was wondering what the heck was going on, but super excited that I wasn't carrying around those big scary metal sticks that I had been carrying for the past month or so! The next day I has some soreness and went back to crutches.

2/9/09 - (approximately 7 weeks)Im still on crutches but every day I feel that I make a little progress. I havent made it back to the doctor in 3 weeks so I will be scheduling an apointment. I feel that I have full motion back in my ankle and knee. I can easily swing my leg around without hurting. There is some pain on the front of the tibia when forcing a shoe on to my foot. This has been getting better.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:40 AM

Also... I didnt use any pain meds post surgery. The only medecines I was on was a temporary med to prevent infection for about 4 days post op and then aspirin for a week to prevent blood clots.

The most pain I had was a sever burning pain while standing up for the first 2-3 weeks. I believe this came from the blood rush that went to the wound. I talked to another friend that also had this. The pain lasts for about 1-2 minutes but then it is minimal. I thought this was due to the fracture blisters on my leg but now I am convinced that it was just due to general trauma in the leg.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhosler877 View Post
Cristina my foot is quite swollen I have been putting ice on it and last night actually put heat on it that made it feel better. That's what I will start doing keep the cam boot on 3 hours take it off and let foot un numb itself and apply ice to see if that helps. Thanks so much
Have you left ice on the break for an entire night? I elevated my leg about 12-16 inches per night and one night I placed a bag of ice on the break and accidentally fell asleep with it on there... this proved to help the best. It might seem unbearably cold but it did wonders for my swelling.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:14 AM

175 posts, read 741,440 times
ThaChilean - did you do more than the doctor allowed you to do or were you following his orders? I'm still not allowed to work, and they won't let me come back without a note from the doctor. I'm getting no disability, so I really miss my paychecks. My doctor has drilled it into my head that I only walk with the boot on, and he still hasn't let me go 100% weight bearing. While I don't want to screw myself up for life, I can't help but feel that I am capable of more than he's letting me do. I'll wait until Wednesday (my next appointment) and see what he says. Funny, but after knee surgery and two C-sections, I always did way more than the doctors approved of, so I'm not sure why i am holding back this time. Probably because my husband gets on my case - he doesn't want me to have to go back to squre one. LOL

Old 02-09-2009, 01:43 PM

68 posts, read 291,344 times
I am also still not allowed to bear any weight. I too feel like i could do more than the doc will allow but i just want to get back to life as soon as possible. I shattered tib and fib on dec 27. Seeing the doc today. Hopefully will get good news. ThaChilean please be careful and take it slow. Good luck!!

Old 02-09-2009, 02:57 PM

16 posts, read 100,355 times
sounds like we're all on the same timeline.did my damage on new yrs eve and i'm hoping to hear good news on wednesday too from my doctor. putting some weight on it but basically following doctor's orders and my wife's. i'm lucky that since mine happened at work, i get worker's compensation(85%) but it still hurts the pocketbook. can't work since it wouldn't look good to see a casted streetcar driver as well as the fact that some track switches have to be manually set using a switch iron and i can't do it. good luck everyone, talk to you wednesday

Old 02-09-2009, 06:58 PM

175 posts, read 741,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthettcguy View Post
sounds like we're all on the same timeline.did my damage on new yrs eve and i'm hoping to hear good news on wednesday too from my doctor. putting some weight on it but basically following doctor's orders and my wife's. i'm lucky that since mine happened at work, i get worker's compensation(85%) but it still hurts the pocketbook. can't work since it wouldn't look good to see a casted streetcar driver as well as the fact that some track switches have to be manually set using a switch iron and i can't do it. good luck everyone, talk to you wednesday
I'm a month before you. I broke my tib/fib on November 24th, so I'm getting VERY antsy to get moving again. Today marked 11 weeks - ugh! At this point, I'm hoping to be able to play my son at basketball come April, but it seems like spring is coming faster than my healing.

Good luck Wednesday, and we'll all compare notes then! LOL

Old 02-09-2009, 07:33 PM

68 posts, read 291,344 times
Hey fellow threaders,
Saw the doc today.I am 8 weeks post op. Am wearing an aircast for the last 3 weeks. I can now bear 25 percent weight. have to see him again in 5 weeks. then i should be able to full weight bare with the air cast still on. it has been a very slow process,But i guess it is a pretty bad injury as we have all heard about our own injuries. So the moral of the story is, my breaks are healing slow but sure. Hang in there all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.