Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2022, 11:20 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times

Advertisements

Maui just banned all chemical sunscreens. The only choice is physical sunscreens: Zinc Oxide or Titanium Dioxide.

I sprayed some of the aerosol version on my arm a few days ago, then began rubbing. It was like rubbing white glue into my arm. I can't imagine trying to do a large area like your own back.

Better to wear a high SPF rash guard shirt (I do that always.)

Chemical sunscreens were banned because they are believed to damage the reefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2022, 11:50 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Maui just banned all chemical sunscreens. The only choice is physical sunscreens: Zinc Oxide or Titanium Dioxide.

I sprayed some of the aerosol version on my arm a few days ago, then began rubbing. It was like rubbing white glue into my arm. I can't imagine trying to do a large area like your own back.

Better to wear a high SPF rash guard shirt (I do that always.)

Chemical sunscreens were banned because they are believed to damage the reefs.
Chemical sunscreens probably damage people too as they are absorbed into the bloodstream. I use the zinc and they've improved it so that it doesn't color your skin white anymore but you do have to rub it in. The brand I've been using is Badger but there are a lot of other brands, probably some that are better.

We had an entire list on this forum a few years ago of the zinc and titanium sunscreens. Some from Australia where they REALLY get the sun were among the best.

You really do not want to get skin cancer. It takes years to develop but when it finally gets to you, you'd better hope it's just a basal skin cancer. Even those can take a chunk of flesh out of you though when they do the surgery. A friend on one of these forums died from a skin cancer at age 70--that may seem old but she was not ready to die and had a full life ahead of her.

Old 10-09-2022, 02:03 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Facial sunscreen is the single most important thing to wear to prevent aging of the skin, though I just recently discovered that a lot of people are using the generic version of retin-a-micro ( Tretinoin) to really do wonders on their facial skin and I am contemplating ordering some. It's a slow process that takes months to over a year to see really good results though and a lot of people give up early because of the side effects.

Skin damage:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trucker...s-on-the-road/

It should also be mentioned that Europe has much better chemical sunscreens than the United States cuz our FDA classifies them as a drug and has been dragging their feet on getting better ones approved.

Might go to sunscreen is Riemann P20.... Just for the face. For the rest of my body I use a big tub of Walmart's generic brand sunscreen because it's cheap and reasonably effective. I used to be one that thinks sun was healthy and try to get tans in my youth but you're just going to sacrifice your appearance as you get older if you do that.

Last edited by sholomar; 10-09-2022 at 02:13 AM..

Old 10-09-2022, 06:52 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I just turned 60 this year.

I also was just diagnosed with melanoma and it SUCKS. For example, one tiny freckle, not ulcerated or raised or whatever, required a 4 inch long by 2 inch wide by 1 inch deep excision. I do not want any more, that's for sure, even though i may have more, who knows?

I have dark hair and eyes but very fair skin, and I have always gotten a "red" tan rather than a honey sort of tan if that makes sense. I have burned a couple of times over the years, but not often. But I did really badly burn one year as a teen when we were in Colorado. I sort of think that time was the killer so to speak.

Anyway, I use Lancome's Renergie Multi Action Day Cream with SPF 30 in it. However, I do not use it close to my eyes because it irritates them.

I use it on my hands and upper arms as well as my neck and chest too.

https://www.ecosmetics.com/product/r...8aAgGwEALw_wcB

I really like it but it's not cheap. Oh well.

Old 10-09-2022, 07:00 PM

1,559 posts, read 1,049,332 times
I use Replenix sunscreen on my face and was advised years ago by a dermatologist to use it year round.

Old 10-09-2022, 07:03 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
You really do not want to get skin cancer. It takes years to develop but when it finally gets to you, you'd better hope it's just a basal skin cancer. Even those can take a chunk of flesh out of you though when they do the surgery. A friend on one of these forums died from a skin cancer at age 70--that may seem old but she was not ready to die and had a full life ahead of her.
Good grief! I totally get that by the way - just diagnosed with melanoma at age 60 and I burned like crazy in my teens.

I think I caught mine early but I am concerned already about a very small spot on my FACE. OMG. They just took a chunk, and I do mean a big arse chunk, out of my shoulder and it was for a TINY melanoma that was IN SITU and had not spread to any lymph nodes. I am paranoid now, believe me.

Oh for the record, I have combination skin. So portions of it are actually pretty oily and it didn't help me one bit. And the melanoma wasn't on my face - it was on my shoulder and I'm grateful it was where I could see it because if it had been somewhere else, like under my hair or on my back or wherever (those are pretty common actually), I don't know when or if I would have noticed it before it had spread.

I really, really, really encourage everyone to go to a reputable dermatologist and get screened as often as they recommend after age 55 or so. Come to find out, they had actually looked at this particular freckle a few years ago but decided at that point it didn't need to be biopsied. Fast Forward a few years later and now it was a full fledged melanoma.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 10-09-2022 at 07:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness