Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2022, 03:05 PM

17,539 posts, read 13,324,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I've tried using them but I find most of them to be heavy, greasy and I hate the way it feels on my face. It leaves little pimples/bumps. I think they call it milia? Blech.

And you have to re-apply every two hours. I can't even apply it once! I usually forego using it at all.
It says it prevents the skin from receiving vitamin D from the sun so that's my excuse for not using it.
And I don't have fair skin or a history of skin cancer so...

Do you use them? And what's your favorite brand?

It is necessary if you don't want skin cancer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2022, 03:07 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I feel like the skin cancer thing has been overplayed. How many of these "skin cancers" are actually lethal and how many are caused by sun exposure? I believe the statistic is Melanoma accounts for just 1% of all skin cancer in the United States and causes the majority of skin cancer related deaths. That is an incredibly small statistic to be playing into fear-based projections and market propaganda from sunscreen companies.
I thought that too, but when I had a couple lesions turn out to be pre-cancerous (sent to a lab) and cut out of me with a knife and stitched, well---you reassess. I never "laid out" per se, but was always outdoors and paying for it now.

So now, we only go out on the beach after 5:00 and only if it's cloudy and I wear a long-sleeve shirt. I hate it. Seems so unnatural.

I agree about the sunscreen companies going overboard though. I was told to wear sunscreen IN the house and no, not doing that. I hate putting it on too and it ain't cheap. Yep, being Swedish on the equator doesn't help.

It's a conundrum for sure. How can something so natural and we evolved in the sun, be detrimental? yet, here we are....

Old 06-23-2022, 06:41 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
It is necessary if you don't want skin cancer
I know several people (my mom being one of them) who have never used sunscreen in their entire life and are now in their 70's and 80's and have yet to get skin cancer.

Last edited by Aeran; 06-23-2022 at 06:50 PM..

Old 06-23-2022, 06:47 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Not sure if your post is actually real - Or am I the stupid one and some people actually REALLY do not burn their skin the sun?
I don't burn at all. I can be out all day in the blazing sun. Ditto my mom. We don't burn. We tan.
You don't know of anyone who never get sunburned?

Old 06-23-2022, 07:08 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
I need it because I have a skin condition where if even the slightest of sun rays gets on my arms or neck I break out in a severe rash, and get these nasty red bumps all over (I wear jeans mostly so doesn't affect my lower body). Putting on a lot of proper sunscreen seems to help that. It started happening when I hit my 40's, so not sure if it's age related or what the condition even is.

Sometimes I don't feel like putting on sunscreen so I purchased several UV sleeves from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Sun-Protectio.../dp/B07S4N9V47

These sleeves are awesome and I put them on when going outside and its sunny. So far has protected my skin from breaking out similar to sunscreen.

Old 06-23-2022, 07:19 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I need it because I have a skin condition where if even the slightest of sun rays gets on my arms or neck I break out in a severe rash, and get these nasty red bumps all over (I wear jeans mostly so doesn't affect my lower body). Putting on a lot of proper sunscreen seems to help that. It started happening when I hit my 40's, so not sure if it's age related or what the condition even is.

Sometimes I don't feel like putting on sunscreen so I purchased several UV sleeves from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Sun-Protectio.../dp/B07S4N9V47

These sleeves are awesome and I put them on when going outside and its sunny. So far has protected my skin from breaking out similar to sunscreen.
You can have sun allergies, which I assume can develop like any other allergy. It seems like yours is related to UV light. Uniqlo has a whole array of sun protection items. I don’t have the sleeves yet (I think they are new), but I have two of their hoodies that are really lightweight and go over the hands. I wear them when I am feeling too lazy to put on the sunblock. I don’t really want compression but having sleeves that go over the hands might be good. I can only see wanting compression when I’m doing some longer hike and get the swelling in the hands.

Old 06-24-2022, 10:55 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Born and raised in Florida. Have NEVER used it, never will. My skin is fairly light, however I am part Spanish, brown eyes, oily skin, and tan fairly easily. I am in my 70s now, love to be outside, however I do NOT spend hours and hours, maybe an hour or so and get sun tan naturally. For most people, a bit of natural sun is healthy. Just don't overdo. Good natural (albeit mild) sunscreens are coconut oil and zinc oxide. All that other crap is filled with carcinogens. Everyone I have ever known who has gotten melanoma were pasty white and never saw the sun. What does that tell you?
I'm not pasty white, but I had melanoma a few years back. I grew up in the 60s and 70s when sunscreen wasn't a thing, tanning was cool, I used the baby oil+iodine, had numerous sunburns, and did some unfortunate damage over many years.

I really didn't know anything about melanoma before my diagnosis. Now I know melanoma is a fast spreader and fast killer. Thank god my surgery got it all, and I'm 5 years cancer free now. No more tanning for me, ever. Sunscreen, SPF clothing and hats, umbrellas, whatever it takes to protect my skin.

I know, some people love to get tanned (though my doctors now tell me there's no such thing as a safe tan), and it's no fun to think about potential deadly outcomes in things we love doing. But I encourage everyone I know to learn about the ABCDE of melanoma, check your skin regularly, and see a dermatologist if anything looks even slightly concerning.

https://skincancer.net/clinical/abcdes-melanoma

Old 06-24-2022, 11:17 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I don't burn at all. I can be out all day in the blazing sun. Ditto my mom. We don't burn. We tan.
You don't know of anyone who never get sunburned?
Never heard of such thing. What ethnicity are you?

Old 06-24-2022, 11:18 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
I have a (black) friend in VA who told me that her dermatologist said "White people and their need to be in the sun keeps me in business."

Old 06-24-2022, 11:20 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I have a (black) friend in VA who told me that her dermatologist said "White people and their need to be in the sun keeps me in business."
But even people with darker skin can get cancer--a lot of people might think that they're safe because of the melanin, but that's not always true. Even the people here who say that they're safe from sun damage because they tan--the tan *is* sun damage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness