Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2022, 06:54 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times

Advertisements

I've tried using them but I find most of them to be heavy, greasy and I hate the way it feels on my face. It leaves little pimples/bumps. I think they call it milia? Blech.

And you have to re-apply every two hours. I can't even apply it once! I usually forego using it at all.
It says it prevents the skin from receiving vitamin D from the sun so that's my excuse for not using it.
And I don't have fair skin or a history of skin cancer so...

Do you use them? And what's your favorite brand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2022, 07:04 PM

700 posts, read 446,903 times
Sounds like you figured it out.

Old 06-20-2022, 02:06 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,308,178 times
As one who lives in the skin cancer capital of the world, yes for me it is essential.
Use a dry-touch variety, (I like Neutrogena Ultra Sheer) which is no problem to apply.
I use it every day all year but only would reapply it when I am getting direct sunlight.
The sun causes skin to age, apart from the risk of cancer. But definitely more of a problem for the fair skinned and I take Vitamin D.

Old 06-20-2022, 03:34 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I've tried using them but I find most of them to be heavy, greasy and I hate the way it feels on my face. It leaves little pimples/bumps. I think they call it milia? Blech.

And you have to re-apply every two hours. I can't even apply it once! I usually forego using it at all.
It says it prevents the skin from receiving vitamin D from the sun so that's my excuse for not using it.
And I don't have fair skin or a history of skin cancer so...

Do you use them? And what's your favorite brand?
This would be impractical for women who wear makeup. It means they'd have to remove their makeup, apply the sunscreen, then re-apply their makeup every 2 hrs. I doubt anyone does that.

But yes, sunscreen is necessary. And you have to make sure it blocks both UVA and UVB rays.

Old 06-20-2022, 03:55 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,308,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This would be impractical for women who wear makeup. It means they'd have to remove their makeup, apply the sunscreen, then re-apply their makeup every 2 hrs. I doubt anyone does that.

But yes, sunscreen is necessary. And you have to make sure it blocks both UVA and UVB rays.
Yes, I apply sunscreen and then some makeup with some sunscreen in it. The only time I reapply is if I am swimming and like many well-trained Aussies, I try to swim early and late in the day and also wear a rash vest.

The worst skin cancer I have had cut out was on my back and probably a legacy of my teenage years.

Old 06-20-2022, 05:56 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Use a dry-touch variety, (I like Neutrogena Ultra Sheer) which is no problem to apply.
That's what I had used. Found it to be the best of the lot but still... meh.
Thx anyway.

Old 06-20-2022, 06:17 AM

1,139 posts, read 615,707 times
I think it really depends on how long you are outside exposed to the sun and how fair skinned you are.

I am an office worker, not construction etc so during M - F, zero needs for me to put on any sunscreen - I hate the stuff too.

But, on the weekends if I am out fishing, on the lake, hiking etc I 100% need it. I am not fair skinned at all but I will burn within 2 hrs in intense sun. Esp early in the season.

The pain in itself is horrible... but skin cancer is scary and so common nowadays. In 20 yrs you may regret it if you put off using sunscreen.

It's 100% worth the hassle... and yeah just try different brands / types until you find one that is the best.

Old 06-20-2022, 06:19 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
As someone who has milk-white skin and has had numerous small skin cancers either frozen, cut, or (one) surgically removed, I always wear Neutrogena 100 SPF when I'm outdoors. I still have good skin at age 72 with virtually no wrinkles and plan to keep it that way. Plus, I really don't want any more skin cancers!

Old 06-20-2022, 06:24 AM

463 posts, read 286,129 times
I am almost 70 and have never used sunscreen. I have been burnt maybe twice. I guess I just have that type of skin that just naturally tans. Just lucky.

Old 06-20-2022, 06:38 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
I don't like it, but my dad got skin cancer, so I'm careful. If you are getting burned, you're doing it wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness