Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2023, 06:01 PM

4,993 posts, read 5,297,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Red-haired people need more anesthesia than others, something about their body chemistry is resistant.
I've had that experience. I'm not a red head, but there are a bunch in my family. I had to have skin cancer removed and the dermatologist had to give me 2-3 times more of the numbing shots than usual when I was getting the extra tissue removed. I've also had to stop dental work before and get a couple more shots so I didn't feel it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2023, 06:47 PM

10,909 posts, read 7,410,954 times
I've had a number of surgeries. I've tried to remember what happens, even tell myself to remember before I'm doped up. It's probably really good that I can't remember.
One surgery, they didn't start the forgetting juice until after I was in the surgical suite, so I do remember getting strapped into position. ugh.
And my very first surgery, I wasn't quite asleep when they started scratching the cut lines into my skin. I tried to tell them, but fell asleep.
And once, I woke after surgery, and realized I hadn't counted backward. We were going to have to do it all over again!

Old 01-28-2023, 07:53 PM

2,529 posts, read 2,784,349 times
I woke up during a breast biopsy in 2000. I clearly remember the lights and the doctor leaning over me and that there was music playing. I startled him when he realized my eyes were open. He said something like "she's coming out" and then I was gone again. Everything went well and, even though I vividly remember it, it never occurred to me to even consider a lawsuit.

I've had far more traumatic events in my life which have contributed to nightmares for years upon years. But waking up during the surgery isn't one of them.

Old 01-29-2023, 10:34 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,465,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
After a number of "awake during surgery" incidents, hospitals started using brain wave monitors to ensure patients receive enough anesthesia. This is not a new thing.
Monitoring brain waves sounds great, but there are surgeries that are being done in minor procedure rooms with nurse anesthetists where I doubt that is happening.

Cataract surgery is often or usually performed with sedatives and no pain control other than topical. I think colonoscopies are often done without pain control, too. Unfortunately, I have read numerous stories of patients having unnecessary pain during their procedures and/or waking up during their procedures.

Old 01-30-2023, 06:47 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,212,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
What did they give you? They gave me just a bit of midazolam for my colonoscopy - not enough to put me to sleep. I felt nothing. They gave me more midazolam for a foot surgery and put me out. For my shoulder they gave me propofol and intubated me. I remember looking around and saying 'that's the milk - the stuff that killed Michael Jackson.' I told them it wasn't necessary to put me out - just jam me with marcaine and I would be fine. It cost an extra $4000 for anesthesia. I wonder if they do it just to jack up the bill.
I have no idea what they gave me. I just know that I've freaked more than one doc out LOL.

My experiences, while not bad or painful, were weird but mostly just agreeing that it can and does happen.

Old 01-30-2023, 09:05 AM

6,360 posts, read 2,905,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
I have no idea what they gave me. I just know that I've freaked more than one doc out LOL.

My experiences, while not bad or painful, were weird but mostly just agreeing that it can and does happen.
I always ask what they are giving me. And it seems to annoy them. I think they should have to disclose everything they are putting into you. I almost had to call off shoulder surgery, because they ween;t telling me what was in the suture they would be using. When I finally saw it and researched it I saw the acrylic was a listed ingredient - I told them I was allergic to acrylic. The surgeon finally agreed to use a different kind of suture.

Old 01-30-2023, 11:47 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,301,028 times
I've never been put under, I had my only surgeries, carpal tunnel releases, done under a local. I am very sensitive to medications and usually need less than other people. I worry they will say yah, sure ya do and then clobber me with enough to sedate a horse.

Old 01-30-2023, 12:07 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,463,408 times
When I had surgery for a ruptured achilles, they asked about any meds I was taking as they were prepping me. It was a quick scheduled surgery, so no weaning off of anything. Anyhow I told them no meds but I did take ephedra every day before working out (when ephedra was popular as an energy supp - ephedra was awesome). I didn't give it two thoughts.

They refused to put me under when I said that and instead did a spinal block.

I remember they planted a nurse on a chair in front of me and she kept chatting and chatting, asking questions about vitamins and nutrition, what does this, what does that, why do I take this and on and on. Her talking was wearing me out. Finally I asked her. "When are they going to start the surgery?" And she said "They are almost finished." lol. I would have been fine just laying there and letting them do their thing.

Old 01-30-2023, 04:54 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,022,814 times
I worked with a guy back in the '90's, who spent his off hours traveling to different churches to give his testimony. He had a bad heart attack, and had to have surgery. Unfortunately, he was too weak for much anesthetic, so they gave him a spinal block during bypass surgery.

He woke up while they were splitting his ribs to get to his heart. He told me he could feel EVERYTHING surgical they were doing! However, the block didn't allow him to do anything about it, or even tell the doctors. It went on to the point where he says he passed out due to the pain, and he saw Jesus, who kept him focused until the surgery finally finished and they brought him out of it.

When he told the doctor what happened, the doctor then told him they knew he was awake, but if they had given him more anesthesia, he would have died for sure.

I can't even imagine how horrible that must have been for him.

Old 01-30-2023, 06:10 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,301,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
I worked with a guy back in the '90's, who spent his off hours traveling to different churches to give his testimony. He had a bad heart attack, and had to have surgery. Unfortunately, he was too weak for much anesthetic, so they gave him a spinal block during bypass surgery.

He woke up while they were splitting his ribs to get to his heart. He told me he could feel EVERYTHING surgical they were doing! However, the block didn't allow him to do anything about it, or even tell the doctors. It went on to the point where he says he passed out due to the pain, and he saw Jesus, who kept him focused until the surgery finally finished and they brought him out of it.

When he told the doctor what happened, the doctor then told him they knew he was awake, but if they had given him more anesthesia, he would have died for sure.

I can't even imagine how horrible that must have been for him.

Did the doctors see Jesus too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness