Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2023, 08:59 AM

6,343 posts, read 2,893,854 times

Advertisements

I don't see how he can prove it unless someone who was in the operating room at the time comes forward. Has anyone ever awakened during surgery?

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...ing-statements

Quote:
Truth or a simple dream? Lawsuit by man claiming he awoke during surgery at UCSD goes to trial

The four-hour surgery went fine, by all accounts. But soon after, Dalo told his wife, Karen, that he believed he awakened during the procedure and that he was having a recurring nightmare of waking up surrounded by lights and people in hospital gear. At first no one believed him, and hospital officials said nothing untoward had occurred.
But months later, Karen Dalo — who worked at the hospital for 30 years, the final as a surgical tech in its operating rooms — found out that Dr. Bradley Hay, the anesthesiologist for the operation, had recently had his license suspended by the state Medical Board. Hay, who later surrendered his license, had been found after the surgery on the floor of a hospital bathroom, unconscious, speckled with vomit and surrounded by empty syringes of the powerful drug sufentanil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2023, 09:23 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,051,906 times
That happened to a friend of mine. He got a nail in his eye in an accident and they put him out and just as they were about to start he said "how's it going ?" It scared the hell out of the doctors and they had to put him out again. They did tell him after the operation though. But the doctors were local and my friend knew them. They all had a story to tell. No lawsuits.

Old 01-27-2023, 10:12 AM

5,710 posts, read 4,282,644 times
Its a thing. It happens to some people, regardless of whether their anesthesiologist is wasted. I believe it happens more often to frequent drinkers.

Old 01-27-2023, 11:47 AM

2,893 posts, read 2,140,733 times
it can happen. time stamped

https://youtu.be/zO-_Dq3TjoQ?t=1278

Old 01-27-2023, 12:10 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,972 times
I had surgery in 1990 and was aware of what was happening. I knew when there was an issue when the drill bit broke and they could not retrieve it and they were worried because my leg was turning blue. I also heard the Dr singing to The Little Mermaid "Under the Sea".

They didn't think I was awake and were shocked when I told them what I remembered; thankfully, I was in no pain!

Old 01-27-2023, 12:18 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,202,903 times
It has happened to me.

Once I woke up during a Carpal Tunnel Release surgery. Scared the crap out of my doctor! LOL. I asked him to let me watch. He said no. I asked how long I would need to be in recovery, he said probably not long since you are already awake! I felt nothing because in addition to the anesthesia, there was a nerve block.

Another time I woke up during a colonoscopy. I felt pressure in my stomach, and started talking to them. I think they quickly gave me some more juice.

During a cardiac catheter, I could feel the cath going through my veins. It kinda freaked out the doctor. He had already given me twice the sedative.

And when I had my tonsils out a 9 years old, I needed more than an adult dosage of anesthesia to get me to sleep. The doc laughed about it at my follow up.

I have a very high tolerance to stuff. When you tell doctors that, they think you just want more drugs to get buzzed. I just want to make sure I stay asleep!! LOL

Old 01-27-2023, 12:56 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,555,450 times
My wife woke up in the middle of surgery when she was 17. It does happen.

Old 01-27-2023, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
It has happened to me.

Once I woke up during a Carpal Tunnel Release surgery. Scared the crap out of my doctor! LOL. I asked him to let me watch. He said no. I asked how long I would need to be in recovery, he said probably not long since you are already awake! I felt nothing because in addition to the anesthesia, there was a nerve block.

Another time I woke up during a colonoscopy. I felt pressure in my stomach, and started talking to them. I think they quickly gave me some more juice.

During a cardiac catheter, I could feel the cath going through my veins. It kinda freaked out the doctor. He had already given me twice the sedative.

And when I had my tonsils out a 9 years old, I needed more than an adult dosage of anesthesia to get me to sleep. The doc laughed about it at my follow up.

I have a very high tolerance to stuff. When you tell doctors that, they think you just want more drugs to get buzzed. I just want to make sure I stay asleep!! LOL
What did they give you? They gave me just a bit of midazolam for my colonoscopy - not enough to put me to sleep. I felt nothing. They gave me more midazolam for a foot surgery and put me out. For my shoulder they gave me propofol and intubated me. I remember looking around and saying 'that's the milk - the stuff that killed Michael Jackson.' I told them it wasn't necessary to put me out - just jam me with marcaine and I would be fine. It cost an extra $4000 for anesthesia. I wonder if they do it just to jack up the bill.

Old 01-27-2023, 02:16 PM

3,433 posts, read 2,401,655 times
I had conscious sedation for orthoscopic surgery on my knee. I got to watch the whole thing on the overhead monitor while they were doing it. It was very awesome. They scraped the bone crystals off the joint and out of the socket with a tiny drill attached to the scope, and then they drilled 7 holes in the femur so that the marrow would seep out and fill the divots created by the crystals. At one point near the 5th or 4th hole I noticed that I was feeling a sensation in the bone, and let them know. They asked if it hurt, I said it was hard to tell. They said if that's all I'm feeling, that's fine, but to let them know if I feel any actual pain. They continued and a few minutes later I was rolled into recovery.

I highly recommend conscious sedation whenever practical, even if you don't watch. You can doze off during the procedure, but recovery time is minutes rather than over an hour for general anaesthetic. Plus - no sore throat from the tube they have to put down your throat for general.

Old 01-27-2023, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
I had conscious sedation for orthoscopic surgery on my knee. I got to watch the whole thing on the overhead monitor while they were doing it. It was very awesome. They scraped the bone crystals off the joint and out of the socket with a tiny drill attached to the scope, and then they drilled 7 holes in the femur so that the marrow would seep out and fill the divots created by the crystals. At one point near the 5th or 4th hole I noticed that I was feeling a sensation in the bone, and let them know. They asked if it hurt, I said it was hard to tell. They said if that's all I'm feeling, that's fine, but to let them know if I feel any actual pain. They continued and a few minutes later I was rolled into recovery.

I highly recommend conscious sedation whenever practical, even if you don't watch. You can doze off during the procedure, but recovery time is minutes rather than over an hour for general anaesthetic. Plus - no sore throat from the tube they have to put down your throat for general.
I had one podiatrist who let me watch my neurectomy. It was fine. he said no one ever wanted to watch before. I only felt a slight pulling sensation when he pulled the nerve out of my foot, but nothing when he cut it. I think they just like to jack up the bill and put you under.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness