Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2023, 08:22 AM

56 posts, read 34,358 times

Advertisements

We've been a country known for its obesity problem for sometime now. We've been up and down the scale but still maintaining a very high obesity rate non-the-less and consistently having some of the highest rates of obesity in the world.

Fall all its criticisms, faults and concerns, I think we may be seeing a great turn around in obesity thanks to social media. The fitness industry is OVER saturated with fitness influencers on Youtube and instagram (the two that dominate social media) and in turn has made being fit trendy. And despite some of the valid criticisms of fitness being a big trend, I see much more pros then cons and for obvious reasons. I see more people getting gym memberships, posting fitness videos, getting much more interested in dieting and the conversation regarding fitness is much more deeper and in depth then I remember.

I'm in my mid 30's and have been hardcore into fitness for half my life. When I got really into weightlifting and martial arts, I remember hearing and being told so many fitness myths and misinformation, especially from those that didn't do anything. Gyms were much emptier and most my peers didn't want anything to do with gym or fitness. Now, most those same people are making a lot of healthier life choices and getting much deeper into fitness. People are much more knowledgeable and informed regarding dieting, exercise, fitness.

Do you think we'll see a drop in obesity in the next coming years? I'm pretty confident that we can see this happen as more and more people prioritize a healthy lifestyle and become more informed thanks to the fitness influencers.

What's your take? What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2023, 08:27 AM

2,024 posts, read 981,353 times
I'd have to see more than a smattering of social media posts by fit people before I believe anything. That's not data.

Old 09-28-2023, 08:43 AM

4,343 posts, read 2,229,121 times
No.

Working out has been demonized.

Being overweight has been normalized as an identity group.

Old 09-28-2023, 09:30 AM

3,122 posts, read 2,065,176 times
No, obesity is still on the rise in the US. Consumption of ultra-processed foods and drinks is on the rise, along with the linked chronic illnesses---obesity, diabetes, heart disease and certain cancers.

Old 09-28-2023, 10:40 AM

11,001 posts, read 6,860,952 times
Where I now live (semi-rural Nort Alabama) there are TONS of obese people. I visited Western North Carolina last week and saw almost no obese people. Perhaps some parts of the country are seeing a downturn but it's still an epidemic. If and when the food changes and the culture of food changes, perhaps obesity will no longer be with us.

Old 09-28-2023, 12:37 PM

56 posts, read 34,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
I'd have to see more than a smattering of social media posts by fit people before I believe anything. That's not data.
True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
No.

Working out has been demonized.

Being overweight has been normalized as an identity group.
Yeah, this is true in a lot of ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
No, obesity is still on the rise in the US. Consumption of ultra-processed foods and drinks is on the rise, along with the linked chronic illnesses---obesity, diabetes, heart disease and certain cancers.
True but I also see the promotion of more organic foods more than ever and people being more open to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Where I now live (semi-rural Nort Alabama) there are TONS of obese people. I visited Western North Carolina last week and saw almost no obese people. Perhaps some parts of the country are seeing a downturn but it's still an epidemic. If and when the food changes and the culture of food changes, perhaps obesity will no longer be with us.

Oh yeah, the south is TERRIBLE when it comes to obesity. Texas, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana (to a less extent than the aforementioned) have a terrible obesity problems. I felt like a skinny twig compared to the people I came across.

Old 09-28-2023, 01:20 PM

10,551 posts, read 7,743,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicSoundsBetterWithYou View Post

Yeah, this is true in a lot of ways. .
Name one please. How has exercise been demonized? I haven't seen it.

Old 09-28-2023, 01:29 PM

4,343 posts, read 2,229,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Name one please. How has exercise been demonized? I haven't seen it.
Google "Working out is r@cist"

Old 09-28-2023, 01:35 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
No, I don't see that happening at all. In fact there are two gyms nearby with windows and when passing by we used to chuckle at what looked like the zombie apocalypse, with a row of 10-12 people on the treadmills facing out. In the last year or too when we go by one there may be 2-3 people, the other has gone out of business. I think opposition to "fat shaming" has gotten out of hand. My regular doctors still get my weight at the start of a checkup but never say a word about it. In the past, until about 2018 they would always ask about my diet, exercise, and discuss my weight and how it affects health.

Data up to 2020 shows a significant increase in obesity.
https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html

Old 09-28-2023, 01:42 PM

10,551 posts, read 7,743,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
Google "Working out is r@cist"
I found this: "Time magazine has been ruthlessly mocked for an article saying the origins of exercise are rooted in racism."

Yeah, so not many people will be buying into such fringe nonsense. You're making a mountain out of a molehill, as they say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness