Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-29-2023, 09:11 AM
 
4,372 posts, read 2,866,380 times
Reputation: 6003

Advertisements

I used to never have aches or pains when I slept. Now at 41 when everything is exactly the same I get neck and body aches. But after I wake up I don't have these pains. I am now all off the sudden very sensitive to the mattress I sleep on. Is this just the result of older age?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-29-2023, 01:38 PM
 
Location: on the wind
22,770 posts, read 18,046,618 times
Reputation: 73867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I used to never have aches or pains when I slept. Now at 41 when everything is exactly the same I get neck and body aches. But after I wake up I don't have these pains. I am now all off the sudden very sensitive to the mattress I sleep on. Is this just the result of older age?
Well, first off, what do you mean by "exactly the same"? Same as what? Over how long? I'd bet $ to donuts something has changed about your life as time passed. You aren't aware of your body posture or how much you tend to move while asleep, so how do you even know "everything is exactly the same"? Yes, your chronological age is a factor. Your body itself changes over time. Cartilage tends to dry out with age leading to joint stiffness and aches if you haven't moved around for several hours at a time. Your sleep pattern and default sleep positions could easily have changed due to how physically or mentally tired you happen to be, how relaxed, stressed, physically fit or unfit, you happen to be. Then there's sleep apnea. Many folks develop that with age. Everything in your waking life can affect how you sleep. Are you suggesting that nothing in your waking life has changed at all over time? Unlikely.

All that is just one side of the equation. Then there's trends in mattress manufacturing. Those haven't stayed "exactly the same" over time either.

You may find these enlightening:

https://www.sleepfoundation.org/phys...when-i-wake-up

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...-2020120821565

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-29-2023 at 02:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2023, 02:06 PM
 
1,694 posts, read 1,067,683 times
Reputation: 3848
It's old age.

Get a workup for autoimmune issues as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2023, 06:23 AM
 
8,348 posts, read 7,286,742 times
Reputation: 8605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I used to never have aches or pains when I slept. Now at 41 when everything is exactly the same I get neck and body aches. But after I wake up I don't have these pains. I am now all off the sudden very sensitive to the mattress I sleep on. Is this just the result of older age?
As pointed out, it could be your own age. It could also be combined with the age of your mattress. A mattress usually lasts about ten years before it needs replacing. How old is your mattress?

I have two queen size mattresses in my house. The one in the upstairs bedroom is probably 15 years old, the one in the downstairs bedroom is maybe 5 years old. I've recently been sleeping in the downstairs bedroom for the past few nights and I can tell the difference in mattress quality. Upstairs, I occasionally have pains in my right thigh that my doctor attributes to a pinched nerve in my spine; these pains only showed up about 5 years ago. Downstairs right now, I don't have any such pains on the newer mattress - ever. Mind you, these are both the same make and model mattresses, bought from Costco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2023, 06:39 AM
 
4,372 posts, read 2,866,380 times
Reputation: 6003
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
As pointed out, it could be your own age. It could also be combined with the age of your mattress. A mattress usually lasts about ten years before it needs replacing. How old is your mattress?

I have two queen size mattresses in my house. The one in the upstairs bedroom is probably 15 years old, the one in the downstairs bedroom is maybe 5 years old. I've recently been sleeping in the downstairs bedroom for the past few nights and I can tell the difference in mattress quality. Upstairs, I occasionally have pains in my right thigh that my doctor attributes to a pinched nerve in my spine; these pains only showed up about 5 years ago. Downstairs right now, I don't have any such pains on the newer mattress - ever. Mind you, these are both the same make and model mattresses, bought from Costco.
It happens on every mattress I try now. Some worse than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2023, 09:02 AM
 
17,448 posts, read 38,811,089 times
Reputation: 24060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I used to never have aches or pains when I slept. Now at 41 when everything is exactly the same I get neck and body aches. But after I wake up I don't have these pains. I am now all off the sudden very sensitive to the mattress I sleep on. Is this just the result of older age?
You are 41 now, so everything is NOT "exactly the same." It's called getting older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2023, 10:00 AM
 
2,966 posts, read 1,170,281 times
Reputation: 2010
I notice that if I sleep in a very soft mattress, I get lower back and or neck pains. I need a firm mattress. Try changing positions as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2023, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Juneau, AK + Puna, HI
10,393 posts, read 7,468,256 times
Reputation: 15691
Your post is unclear to me. You have aches while sleeping but after waking you’re fine?
How are you aware of discomfort while asleep?

Sometimes I wake up with a sore neck. Pretty sure this is from sleeping on my back while twisting my head to one side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2023, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
29,618 posts, read 34,053,938 times
Reputation: 76566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
It happens on every mattress I try now. Some worse than others.
How old are your pillows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2023, 11:43 AM
 
4,372 posts, read 2,866,380 times
Reputation: 6003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Your post is unclear to me. You have aches while sleeping but after waking you’re fine?
How are you aware of discomfort while asleep?

Sometimes I wake up with a sore neck. Pretty sure this is from sleeping on my back while twisting my head to one side.
I know because I wake up multiple times a night when I am getting discomfort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top