Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 08:42 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times

Advertisements

Just watched the first episode on Netflix.

Here's a brief summary:".. Netflix's four-episode series, titled "You Are What You Eat: A Twin Experiment," follows four sets of twins for the eight weeks of the experiment, which found that a plant-based diet resulted in many health benefits, including reduced cholesterol, increased healthy gut bacteria, decreased inflammation and decreased insulin.,,"

https://www.axios.com/local/san-fran...-you-eat-vegan

Actually there are 20 sets of twins in the experiment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2024, 01:28 AM

7,234 posts, read 5,114,062 times
...then why don't horses look like cows?

EIGHT weeks? Give us a break.

Old 01-18-2024, 03:22 AM

732 posts, read 406,849 times
I was not impressed with the results of the show because it became vegan propaganda. I hoped to see more about the individual, the diet and challenges, the workouts and challenges, on and on; and then the end results/facts. That propaganda peppered throughout the episodes was irritating and a waste of time that could have been focused on the team & individual efforts.

Old 01-18-2024, 07:42 AM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
...then why don't horses look like cows?
Because horses don't eat cows. ; )

If you are what you eat, I'd be an egg, I eat so many of them.

Old 01-18-2024, 08:51 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Because horses don't eat cows. ; )

If you are what you eat, I'd be an egg, I eat so many of them.
LOL. Of course he's implying that genetics is of primary importance.

However, that doesn't appear to be true in health or longevity. It's worth about 25% of the equation.

The senior author of the study is not vegan. He says: “I’m always trying to get people to eat more healthfully, and it often doesn’t work,†said Gardner, the Rehnborg Farquhar Professor and a professor of medicine. “I don’t actually care if they eat a vegan diet, just more plants and less meat. That’s what I’ve been all about for a long, long time.â€

https://news.stanford.edu/report/202...-netflixs-eat/

Old 01-18-2024, 09:22 AM

2,009 posts, read 1,207,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8t3rs View Post
I was not impressed with the results of the show because it became vegan propaganda. I hoped to see more about the individual, the diet and challenges, the workouts and challenges, on and on; and then the end results/facts. That propaganda peppered throughout the episodes was irritating and a waste of time that could have been focused on the team & individual efforts.

I always found it comical that whenever a documentary gets released about healthier eating there is , from a decent amount of people, a knee jerk reaction of "thats just vegan propaganda" hahaha

As if the billions of dollars that is spent on the advertising of fast food isn't "meat industry propaganda"

Old 01-18-2024, 09:28 AM

523 posts, read 245,129 times
My husband starts Veganuary for the month of January each year, and usually cruises through the rest of winter. Every time he drops a good 15 pounds and his cholesterol, and triglycerides, and blood pressure all improve. And cookout season rolls around and he's right back at square one by the end of the year.

Old 01-18-2024, 10:11 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8t3rs View Post
These kinds of documentaries show up on Netflix often, and you do have to look beyond face value. Who made the film and why, who wasn't included in the production, etc. Documentary doesn't mean unbiased. It's all part of media literacy.

Old 01-18-2024, 10:45 AM

5,456 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
These kinds of documentaries show up on Netflix often, and you do have to look beyond face value. Who made the film and why, who wasn't included in the production, etc. Documentary doesn't mean unbiased. It's all part of media literacy.
I'm guessing that the characterization of this documentary as 'vegan propaganda' is sensationalism. I don't think Stanford professors of medicine are typically in the business of propagandizing for veganism or anything else beyond the pursuit of knowledge and improved public health. I of course could be wrong, but I think this is misplaced cynicism

Old 01-18-2024, 10:53 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
It was interesting, and I am super pro plant based diet, though I am an omnivore.

I DO wish they went over the resulting data more, I was hoping for general charts (there were more participants than featured) and such, and they kinda veered off to farming methods.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness