Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2024, 02:07 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times

Advertisements

As long as it is part of a balanced diet, it is good, A variety of foods is always best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2024, 04:09 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Red meat comes from mammals, usually animals with four legs and some amount of hair or fur, which give birth to live babies, rather than laying eggs.

Pigs are mammals, so pork is red meat, despite the "other white meat" disinformation campaign by the pork industry.

Milk fed veal is pale in color, too, but still red meat.

Old 01-23-2024, 04:59 PM

2,666 posts, read 1,182,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
You don't need to avoid beef (or other unhealthy foods) entirely, but you don't want to make it a big part of your diet - it's been associated with increased all-cause mortality in numerous large studies. Likewise for pork, and highly processed meats - like hot dogs, sausages and cold cuts, you're better off making them the occasional choice, not the mainstay.

The healthiest animal flesh is really fish* - of course that's fairly expensive and doesn't have a neutral taste, but chicken and turkey follow fish and both of those are less expensive and very versatile in recipes. I probably eat chicken and turkey most, then fish, and then beef and pork and processed meats.

*The healthiest fish are fatty fin-fish like salmon, tuna, cod, sardines and mackerel - these can actually improve health.
I stopped eating sardines because I fear the can has BPA in it.

Old 01-23-2024, 06:41 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
For me, cholesterol is directly related to quantity of beef. Once I switched to chicken/fish as primary proteins, cholesterol went down quickly.

Old 01-24-2024, 07:32 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,542,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
P.S. I still eat meats just because I like the taste and texture, but numerous studies have also shown that as a general rule, people who eat a lot of plant-based proteins live longer. So that's primarily beans and nuts - soybeans, black beans, kidney beans, navy beans, chickpeas/garbanzo beans, lima beans, peas - great in chilis, stews and soups, as add-ins for fried rice. Also very healthy are avocados* and nuts - especially walnuts, though with these you need to watch out for the high calorie count (from healthy fats) and just not eat too much. There are a few healthy grains that provide useful plant protein as well - like oatmeal, farro, wild rice and quinoa.

My cardiologist asked me to switch over to a plant based diet so that is one of my New Year's resolutions :-)

*Avocados are not high in protein, but I lumped them in with nuts because both are sources of healthy fats
I wonder how much of the "people who eat more beef dont live as long" research is related to all the other things they eat with the beef. A person eating a nice steak will be more tempted to eat mashed potatoes/french fries (and potentially other processed foods not too mention much larger portions) versus someone accustomed to eating beans - who would typically have a healthier diet, irrespective of the beef.

Old 01-24-2024, 08:35 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Buddy of mine recently survived a heart attack. Dr told him he should the only beef he should eat from now on: filet mignon. He's kind of happy about that. LOL

Old 01-24-2024, 09:03 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Everythig in moderation.

Old 01-24-2024, 09:17 AM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
I wonder how much of the "people who eat more beef dont live as long" research is related to all the other things they eat with the beef. A person eating a nice steak will be more tempted to eat mashed potatoes/french fries (and potentially other processed foods not too mention much larger portions) versus someone accustomed to eating beans - who would typically have a healthier diet, irrespective of the beef.
Yeah, watch out for those correlation studies!

Old 01-24-2024, 09:27 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,674,170 times
Well, the relationship between consumption of high levels of saturated fat and LDL cholesterol, and the relationship between high levels of LDL cholesterol and occlusive coronary artery disease, are not matters of speculation but are settled science, at least since the mid 1970s. As I noted in another thread, there are other factors in such disease as well, but the existence of other factors does not obviate the existence of these.

Beef is just inherently high in saturated fat.

All responsible nutritionists, cardiologists, and primary care physicians will tell you that occasional consumption of beef, in modest quantities, will do you no harm, and it is nutritious in many other ways. The same people will tell you that such consumption should be occasional and in modest quantities. A friend of mine said it best: red meat eaten as a condiment, not as a main course.

Old 01-24-2024, 07:02 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
I’m just shy of 60,
Absolutely love steak, prime rib , burgers , pork and lamb
I eat meat every day of the week… in fact 3-5 times a week
I eat steak ..
I’m not a fan of veggies… never really liked most of them but have tried to eat more in the last decade… in my 30’s I barely had any vegetables… if I was invited to a family gathering I often would bring my own steak .. because that’s all I’d eat

I’ve been in the meat business starting as a butcher for over 40 years cutting up
Wild game local critters and also grocery stores
So it is easy for me so pick up sale items and load the freezer

Now I had recent blood tests and the colonoscopy.. within the last few years… traditional views is with all this red meat I’d have all kinds of problems… and no I love the fat too not all lean … anyways, my colon didn’t even have a polyp.. my blood tests came back great.. cholesterol was fine .. had high hdl …and lower ldl
Triglycerides were good..
so I’m near 60, don’t even have an allergy… can still bench press 280 lbs
Most of my same age friends are on medications … even my grass fed coworkers… that tell me how veggies are so much more healthy than what I eat…. Yet have more health issues than I do and often sick …
I’ve been asked what’s my secret.., and I’ll tell them .. lay off the sugar… most of us are sugar addicted… love sweets .. but sugars and high carbs are the real food demons not meat not fats … I love sweets … but it’s a challenge not to buy them!! I like fruit … I drink a glass of water mixed with ginger/ lemon juice every day!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness