Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2024, 05:57 AM

2,323 posts, read 2,174,950 times

Advertisements

A few years ago, my previous primary doctor(retired) recommended me to eat white meat rather than red meat, since then, I almost quitted beef. I mainly choose pork in the past few years, some may classified pork as red meat too, but I consider it as white meat, at least the color is not that dark. I don't really like chicken. Maybe I can choose fish as main source of meat, not sure which Costco fish is better, Costco is where I visit more often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2024, 06:44 AM

12,411 posts, read 9,510,794 times
You don't need to avoid beef (or other unhealthy foods) entirely, but you don't want to make it a big part of your diet - it's been associated with increased all-cause mortality in numerous large studies. Likewise for pork, and highly processed meats - like hot dogs, sausages and cold cuts, you're better off making them the occasional choice, not the mainstay.

The healthiest animal flesh is really fish* - of course that's fairly expensive and doesn't have a neutral taste, but chicken and turkey follow fish and both of those are less expensive and very versatile in recipes. I probably eat chicken and turkey most, then fish, and then beef and pork and processed meats.

*The healthiest fish are fatty fin-fish like salmon, tuna, cod, sardines and mackerel - these can actually improve health.

Old 01-23-2024, 07:03 AM

P.S. I still eat meats just because I like the taste and texture, but numerous studies have also shown that as a general rule, people who eat a lot of plant-based proteins live longer. So that's primarily beans and nuts - soybeans, black beans, kidney beans, navy beans, chickpeas/garbanzo beans, lima beans, peas - great in chilis, stews and soups, as add-ins for fried rice. Also very healthy are avocados* and nuts - especially walnuts, though with these you need to watch out for the high calorie count (from healthy fats) and just not eat too much. There are a few healthy grains that provide useful plant protein as well - like oatmeal, farro, wild rice and quinoa.

My cardiologist asked me to switch over to a plant based diet so that is one of my New Year's resolutions :-)

*Avocados are not high in protein, but I lumped them in with nuts because both are sources of healthy fats

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 01-23-2024 at 07:17 AM..

Old 01-23-2024, 07:22 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,190,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
You don't need to avoid beef (or other unhealthy foods) entirely, but you don't want to make it a big part of your diet - it's been associated with increased all-cause mortality in numerous large studies. Likewise for pork, and highly processed meats - like hot dogs, sausages and cold cuts, you're better off making them the occasional choice, not the mainstay.

The healthiest animal flesh is really fish* - of course that's fairly expensive and doesn't have a neutral taste, but chicken and turkey follow fish and both of those are less expensive and very versatile in recipes. I probably eat chicken and turkey most, then fish, and then beef and pork and processed meats.

*The healthiest fish are fatty fin-fish like salmon, tuna, cod, sardines and mackerel - these can actually improve health.
Rethink fish:
It could be healthy but mostly aren’t due to widespread ocean and other waters contamination:

- Chemicals in fish per EPA:
“Mercury
Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs)
Chlordane
Dioxins
Dichloro-Diphenyl-Trichloroethane (DDT)”

https://www.epa.gov/choose-fish-and-...ing-guidelines

- In addition to shellfish contamination with deadly viruses, bacteria- including botulism contaminated fish as well

-In addition to cyanoHABs - contamination by harmful algae blooms

Be especially concerned with prepared food in stores and restaurants as your seafood could be mislabeled and prepared from harmful fish contaminated - disease known as ciguatera.
More than 400 fish species are implicated, including otherwise edible like sea bass, perch, snapper

Especially if the fish is from tropics/subtropics, which due to global trade may end up on your table.
It could be in fish paste, sauces, dips, etc you buy at the stores, etc

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK235731/

Old 01-23-2024, 07:34 AM

8,756 posts, read 5,050,099 times
Lean meats are the healthiest....look for round ...top round, eye round, tenderloin.

Old 01-23-2024, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Rethink fish:
It could be healthy but mostly aren’t due to widespread ocean and other waters contamination:

- Chemicals in fish per EPA:
“Mercury
Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs)
Chlordane
Dioxins
Dichloro-Diphenyl-Trichloroethane (DDT)”

https://www.epa.gov/choose-fish-and-...ing-guidelines

- In addition to shellfish contamination with deadly viruses, bacteria- including botulism contaminated fish as well

-In addition to cyanoHABs - contamination by harmful algae blooms

Be especially concerned with prepared food in stores and restaurants as your seafood could be mislabeled and prepared from harmful fish contaminated - disease known as ciguatera.
More than 400 fish species are implicated, including otherwise edible like sea bass, perch, snapper

Especially if the fish is from tropics/subtropics, which due to global trade may end up on your table.
It could be in fish paste, sauces, dips, etc you buy at the stores, etc

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK235731/
You're right - there are risks, of heavy metals, chemicals, and bacteria in fish. But not every portion of fish is laden with mercury, PCBs and toxic bacteria. And stepping back and looking at the big picture, many credible studies show clear health benefits of fish in our diets. So I don't "throw out the baby with the bathwater".

Old 01-23-2024, 08:30 AM

2,323 posts, read 2,174,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
You don't need to avoid beef (or other unhealthy foods) entirely, but you don't want to make it a big part of your diet - .
Agree, I started buying beef in Costco last week.

Old 01-23-2024, 08:46 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,051,906 times
Is beef good for health?

Yes, except for the cow !

Old 01-23-2024, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baike View Post
Agree, I started buying beef in Costco last week.
Yes, I still eat beef and pork for variety and enjoyment, but for me, between the two of them it's one or two servings a week, not 7-days a week.

For the new year, I bought a small-ish book with plant-based recipes, and it actually has some recipes with small amounts of healthier meats - poultry and fish, in there, like "shrimp and asparagus stir fry", so I like their style - it's not cold-turkey avoidance of any and all animal flesh. This may be more doable and sustainable for me.
https://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Light.../dp/1547858249

Old 01-23-2024, 01:53 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,859,567 times
I eat beef pretty rarely now. It clogs the arteries, it costs a lot, its production causes huge amounts of greenhouse gases (way over other meats), and I don't really crave it. Sometimes I'll include it in something else, like when I order a burrito and don't want chicken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness