Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 11:33 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
Whenever I go to the gym, this is what 90% of girls' workouts are:

treadmill/other cardio machine for 45 mins, ab machine/other ab work, a few dumbbell arm exercises with <10 lbs in weight.

Why don't they just buy a treadmill, and buy a pair of dumbbells? Won't that save them a lot more money?

Oh, and btw, I don't want to just include women in this, because I see a lot of guys jumping on the "ripped abs" fad and do a few curls, and endless ab work/cardio to try and get a 6 pack, but I usually see women do the above workout (NO SEXIST). So why waste so much money over time on a gym membership, when they can accomplish everything they need for <$400?
Dude, are you really THAT clueless??

Some women AND men go to the gym to be SEEN as much as exercise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 12:17 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyTheSilence View Post
....shame that many American cities aren't more walkable and more geared towards being outdoors, rather than having to have so many indoor gyms, that aren't everyone's cup of tea.

Personally, I find most gyms to be very intimidating places, full of people just looking to show off and pose, while listening to the latest Lady Gaga track. No thanks...I'd rather get my exercise the old fashioned way, even if it means dodging cars and inhaling exhaust fumes....better than paying monthly to go to some gym where I'll be tortured by horrible music and be forced to be around people who I'd rather do my best to avoid at all costs.
I agree. I hate the look on people's faces, all together, in the gyms too - a sort of "game face" I can't stand.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:23 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
bek bowflex becomes a laundry hanger in 6 months.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:30 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,922,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Dude, are you really THAT clueless??

Some women AND men go to the gym to be SEEN as much as exercise.

Lol@that

I do use the treadmill/cardio equipment then I go to the weight room and use the compound machine, when I workout. I don't use the dumbbells that much unless I am 100% sure my form is correct. I try to switch it up so my body won't get to the plateau stage.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:49 AM

7,127 posts, read 12,670,656 times
My point of view is that gym membership is the opposite of a 'needless' expense...I see it as an 'investment' in my continued good health.

Home equipment? No room, and even if there were, not enough money to give me the wide variety of equipment I find at my gym.

Social aspects. Though I don't chatter much at the gym I like to be around others who are also investing in their good health--keeps me motivated.

Dedicated place to work out. I love leaving my house (I work at home) to go to a different, dedicated place to exercise. It's a refreshing change. Keeps me from feeling too house-bound.

Sure, I could work-out at home, but when I did have equipment at home, it was rarely used. Walking and riding my bike around town are not enough to work-out all my muscles. And when it's 90 with matching humidity, I don't want to do it so much...

Those are the main reasons I love my gym. And it's open 27/7 with an access card, so I can go during off hours (mid-afternoon or after 9 AM when it's almost empty)--it's like a personal club...and it's a short bike ride away. Perfect!

Old 08-19-2009, 10:53 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,781,549 times
I like to play pickup basketball, which is easiest accomplished at a local gym.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:17 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
My point of view is that gym membership is the opposite of a 'needless' expense...I see it as an 'investment' in my continued good health.

Home equipment? No room, and even if there were, not enough money to give me the wide variety of equipment I find at my gym.

Social aspects. Though I don't chatter much at the gym I like to be around others who are also investing in their good health--keeps me motivated.

Dedicated place to work out. I love leaving my house (I work at home) to go to a different, dedicated place to exercise. It's a refreshing change. Keeps me from feeling too house-bound.

Sure, I could work-out at home, but when I did have equipment at home, it was rarely used. Walking and riding my bike around town are not enough to work-out all my muscles. And when it's 90 with matching humidity, I don't want to do it so much...

Those are the main reasons I love my gym. And it's open 27/7 with an access card, so I can go during off hours (mid-afternoon or after 9 AM when it's almost empty)--it's like a personal club...and it's a short bike ride away. Perfect!
What they said! ^^

Old 08-20-2009, 01:48 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
I joined a YMCA. It's within walking distance of my house, and has the same equipment as the fitness clubs do. They have actual hours of opening and closing, but it doesn't bother me. I've been doing Yoga, and it really helps my arthritis, plus I work out on the machines about once per week right now.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:12 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,147,528 times
1. Motivation. If I have a set day and time to work out, AND it costs me money, I'm more likely to go.
2. I like some of the classes; yoga, cycling, pilates, and ab work. If the class is small enough, I can get individualized attention.
3. My son loves the playcenter for his age group. They do LEGOs, arts and crafts, or sometimes go in the gameroom and play DDR, Ping Pong, and other video games.
4. They sometimes have seasonal/holiday activities for the kids. They're a lot of fun.
5. They have an indoor and outdoor pool and sauna.
6. The weight machines are computerized and record the weights I've used, reps, and records the height, length, and curvature of the seats and pads. I don't have to figure it out and I can track my progress.
7. I can watch an individual TV or a DVD; each one set up in front of the bike.
8. I look better and feel better, and can easily see the results. So for me, it's worth the money.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:56 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
People also use the ellipticals, need to up their weights, get motivation from watching other people work out. Just because you view it as a waste of money, doesn't make it so. Everyone is different and obviously people are finding value from the gym.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness