Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2009, 07:24 AM

32 posts, read 148,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankletwister View Post
I broke my leg from a fall on our front stairs. I share your terror and it will be very hard for me to get past it. We have (because of my in-laws living with us for a while) a stair lift chair installed which is a God send as we live on the upper level with a drive under garage so that is how I'm getting out of the house to go to PT and OS appointments. I don't know what I would do otherwise ... scooting up and down on my bottom would be the only option as we have a lot of stairs and they are fairly steep. I am trying not to think about walking up and down the stairs yet. Today my daughter had a friend over and when her Dad came to pick her up I went out on the front deck while she was leaving. I started shaking as I got close to the stairs (same ones I fell on) so I think it may be a long time before I use those stairs again. I'm all for facing my fears but that one is one that will have to wait until I have full confidence on our other stairs again and since I'm only 10% weight bearing I'm going to leave that fear for another day.
Was the lift installed for you? I have thought of the lift, but do not know how it works. It is temporary? I am sleeping in the living room and would love to get upstairs to shower and sleep in my bed. As a result, I stare at the stairs areas where I feel and yes I get angry. I am still NWB. I understand your fear as well. I finally went to the OS and took the back stairs which are plenty.. I went on my butt the problem is coming back in. Twice I have sone this and I happen to hurt my bad leg and this is a serious concern that frigthens me. I am still not sure what I am capable of doing ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 07:48 AM

Has anyone who broke their Tib (after a few months of course) and was NWB traveled in an airplane? I am still not NWB and would like to take a trip to a warm climate for a few days. I will have my brace removed before than.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:49 AM

83 posts, read 296,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneleghopper View Post
This is WONDERFUL news.. and the news that many of us wish we could get.
Thank you, im still gobsmacked, When i did it back in May my OS told me id be seeing alot of him over the next year. Ive seen him once since my operation. And im not to be seeing him again by the sounds of it. I still cant believe ill be having christmas as normal.

All i can say to everyone else is, just take each day as it comes, thats all i did. Take the rough with the smooth. This site helped me an awful lot and i will certainly be sticking around.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:00 PM

What were your injuries? How many times did you have PT? You had the accident in May? From May till now is 6 months.. Is that what it takes to get better? I know everyone is different.. When did you return to work?

Old 11-21-2009, 08:00 PM

76 posts, read 415,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterbadexample View Post
Saw my OS yesterday and am approved to do weight-bearing. I've done the pt I was doing before and I've been walking (slowly) with weight supported on the crutches. The leg is making popping noises every which way, but only light pain so far. It's a vast improvement--I just might go outside for a stroll on saturday.

One question (not addressed by my doctor and I didn't think to ask it): when those of you who've gone to weight bearing were transitioned, were you advised to keep the boot on, or did you go to a regular shoe? I'm currently padding around the house in running shoes, but I'm not sure if that's what I should be doing out of doors.

Also I've noticed the 'pins and needles' feeling in my foot when I roll forward to the toes. I'd noticed this a couple times when I was non WB, but it's much more intense now.

Thanks to everyone who's posted about this transition.
For me, once WB, I was told to wear the black boot for stability. When I went back to OS he said I could wear some tennis shoes at that point. I don't notice the pins/needles feeling in my foot when I have been walking. Only when my foot has been inactive -- again, everyone is different!

Old 11-22-2009, 10:15 AM

26 posts, read 243,859 times
Quote:
Has anyone who broke their Tib (after a few months of course) and was NWB traveled in an airplane? I am still not NWB and would like to take a trip to a warm climate for a few days. I will have my brace removed before than.

Hi, I broke my tib/fib on July 2nd and was instructed not to fly by my OS for 10 weeks. I did finally take my first trip by plane Nov 2nd, so exactly 4 months later. I was full weight bearing then (had been since first of October or so), so although I moved very slow in the airport because I do have a limp still everything else was fine. I looked at it like good exercise walking through the airport! I also went through the security without the alarm sounding. I know my OS said there wouldn't be a problem, but I just thought for sure with a rod and three screws in my tib that I would set off those sensitive alarms. My leg and ankle was a little swollen after I got off the airplane (it was only an hour and a half ride), but I just elevated it when I got to the hotel...same thing on my return flight. Happy traveling!!!

Old 11-22-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
What were your injuries? How many times did you have PT? You had the accident in May? From May till now is 6 months.. Is that what it takes to get better? I know everyone is different.. When did you return to work?
I dislocated my knee, broke my fibula in 2 places next to my knee and i severed off my ligaments. I have been having physio therapy for 4 months now, ive still got to go once a month just to see how my limp is coming along.
Im returning to work for a few days a week in a couple of weeks time. My body seemed to heal extra quickly!

Old 11-23-2009, 12:50 PM

2 posts, read 19,452 times
I just thought I would write about my son's experience. My son who is 14 broke his leg playing football on 10/22. He was taken to a local hospital then transfered to a trauma center for the repair. It a complex spiral tib/fib closed fracture. Because his growth plates were still open and due to the severity of the fracture he has given a taylor spatial frame. Wow what a sight. It was very difficult to sleep and get around for the first 10 days. Now it is ok I guess you learn to live with what you are given. He did develope drop foot. The OS thinks it is because the nerve runs over the area of the fib break. He thinks it is just bruised and will come back. So far after about 2.5 weeks he regained motion in his ankle and all but the big toe. We are now 4 weeks into the injury. His pain is almost nothing and the pin sites look ok. He is an athlete and plays football, basketball and lacrosse and was hoping to get back this spring. Unsure if that will happen. He goes to PT 2x per week and works out the upper body and cardio everyday. He is partial weight bearing (i do not think he puts much wieght on his leg) and on crutches. He has been back at school for the past two weeks. I know when it first happens it is really hard but it does get better. We have no idea how long he will be in this device or how long his recovery will take. His attitude is much better since he has been back at school and working out. We are going to switch PT because this person did not understand how important it was for him to get back out on the field. I am not in favor of rushing things but everyone needs a goal. We go back next week to the os and hope to see some bone growth. The poor kid I am giving him lots of milk (not a problem he loves milk but I am over doing it) and multi vitamin and lots of vit C foods.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:06 PM

Unfortunatly, these injuries do take time, alot of time. And as much as physio helps etc the leg will heal when its ready (so ive been told) Luckily he's only young and young bones heal alot quicker. Wish him all the best from us here.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCG09 View Post
Hi, I broke my tib/fib on July 2nd and was instructed not to fly by my OS for 10 weeks. I did finally take my first trip by plane Nov 2nd, so exactly 4 months later. I was full weight bearing then (had been since first of October or so), so although I moved very slow in the airport because I do have a limp still everything else was fine. I looked at it like good exercise walking through the airport! I also went through the security without the alarm sounding. I know my OS said there wouldn't be a problem, but I just thought for sure with a rod and three screws in my tib that I would set off those sensitive alarms. My leg and ankle was a little swollen after I got off the airplane (it was only an hour and a half ride), but I just elevated it when I got to the hotel...same thing on my return flight. Happy traveling!!!
I will be just about 10 weeks around the time of my trip. Of course I will consult with my OS by next week to insure that it will be okay. I am very concerned since I will have my brace removed in 2 weeks and my leg will be bare. At this time the brace is my securtiy blanket and shields my leg from anyone or myself.. Most importantly it reminds me not to put any weight.. My trip will be a lil longer more like 3 hours and I will take a pillow. I was told that planes have wheelchairs for inside mobility. to the restroom. This was a surprise since I have never seen them.. A friend recommended that I wear a depend on the flight . No need since I have a seat near the restroom. So I much to think about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness