Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 01:55 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times

Advertisements

I'm dealing with an episode of cold sores and they are absolutely unsightly. The campo-phenique stuff isn't working too well in terms of clearing up the sore. How can I speed up the recovery process. I usually get these when my body is under stress or when my allergies is acting up. Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 02:30 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Antiviral medications (natural or script)

Old 10-03-2009, 03:52 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Take Lysine daily, I used to get cold sores quite often and the Lysine really helped me as well as some folks I've told about it - now when I feel a little tingle, I take a Lysine or two immediately and then another one or two daily (one in the afternoon, one at bedtime). To help dry it up, if you are home and not out and about - make a paste of cornstarch and water and put that on, it'll really help dry it up. When it's dried up, try an OTC such as NexCare, Abbreva, etc. cold sore ointment to moisturize it a bit so it doesn't hurt so much.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:11 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times
I second L-Lysine.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:56 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,602 times
#1 Lysine
#2 Don't touch
#3 TEA TREE OIL for sure!

I used to get them when I was a kid. Every winter. My mom eventually stopped using the crap the docs gave her and started with the two above remedies.

Here and there I feel one coming on. It usually happens when you immune system is weak. Stress, a cold, not getting enough sleep, too much sugar can bring them on. It's a virus that you always have but only shows it's face when your immune system puts it's guard down.

I start taking the lysine and it usually works within a two days. If it still pops up all the way then the tea tree oil gets in there and does the job

How to Treat Cold Sore With Tea Tree Oil | eHow.com

Old 10-03-2009, 06:28 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
As soon as I feel the tingle, I hit a heavy dose of Lysine 2 times a day. Usually stops it from developing and in about 2-3 days it's history.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:12 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
I get ulcers in my mouth -canker sores - when I am under stress or getting sick. I am not sure if this is the same mechanism at hand, but my dentist told me to use zinc lozenges (in addition to the orabase and the numbing spray).

I don't know if it would help with cold sores, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:41 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Thank you everyone for your advice. Where can I purchase L-Lysine as I've never heard of it? Also, where can I get the Tea Tree oil?

Old 10-04-2009, 12:45 AM
Ode

298 posts, read 753,736 times
Tea tree oil you can get from most health food stores if your pharmacy doesn't have it. The J/A/S/O/N brand is pretty good and not too expensive when you consider you only use a drop, even though the bottle is small. Be careful not to get the oil on the healthy skin as it will cause extreme dryness. It makes a good carrier oil, so when used in combination with an antiviral medication it will stop the cold sore quick. Try Abreva, and while it also appears to be costly you use an extremely tiny amount...just a tiny dot. You want it to be completely absorbed, no need to slather it on. Extra won't help, it just wastes the product. After the abreva, then apply a drop of the tea tree oil, it also helps soothe the pain those buggers can cause.

The best tip I have is to have these things in your home always, so that when you feel the first sign of one coming on (tingly feeling or itchiness, sometimes both) start using them. The sooner you begin, the better chance you have of stopping it from becoming a huge mess. Most of the time when I do this, the sore never actually becomes visible, or will look like a small bump or red spot that is healed in 3 days. If I don't use it, then I can get a very large and painful sore than can take weeks to completely heal. Besides being unsightly, it hurts, so try to stop it before the virus has a chance to infect a larger area.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:42 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,428,627 times
This very issue is how I found out about city data. Used google to research mouth ulsers and city data came up, so there is another thread on this if you use the search function. The amino acid lysine does work for me.....BUT it is just one of the many amino acids your body needs so my advice is to purchase a protein supplement that has all the other Important amino acids as well as lysine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness