Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 02:32 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

NEW YORK

Having an X-ray to look for signs of colon cancer may soon be an option for those who dread the traditional scope exam. Two of the largest studies yet of ''virtual colonoscopy'' show the experimental technique works just as well at spotting potentially cancerous growths as the more invasive method. It's also quicker and cheaper.

The X-rays can help sort out who really needs the full exam and removal of suspicious growths, called polyps. In one study, only 8 percent of patients had to have followup traditional colonoscopies, which are done under sedation and carry a small risk of puncturing the bowel.

But what some people consider the most unpleasant part can't be avoided: drinking laxatives to purge the bowel so growths can be seen.

Studies Endorse 'Virtual Colonoscopy'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 07:34 PM

436 posts, read 810,195 times
Virtual colonoscopy may sound good to people who fear the procedure. BUT- most insurance companies will not pay for it, and it is not cheap. Insurance companies will pay for the standard colonoscopy.

Next, IF an abnormality is seen, one STILL needs a colonoscopy to get to the area in question so a biopsy can be taken. So far, the "virtual" endoscopy has not been able to determine benign, pre-cancerous or cancerous lesions. If any lesion is found, it should be biopsied and examined by a pathologist, rather than letting a scanner choose for you. So the choice is this- possibly go through two seperate tests, or have one done and biopsies taken at that time, if necessary

Contrary to popular belief- colonscopy can be done without sedation. There is cramping, but it can be accomplished, medication free, and one is able to go home immediately.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:09 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
My Mom told me she was scheduled for a colonoscopy. She was also scared to death to have it done. She's 72. I told her that she doesn't have to do it if she doesn't want to. She has the power. Not her doctor. So that made her feel alot better. I still don't know whether she had it done or not. She lives in another state.

If a doctor told me I had to have one, I'd say "You first." lol

Old 10-06-2007, 04:27 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,353,570 times
My family members have all had one and don't remember a thing about it since they were sedated. I was supposed to have one, but I cancelled. Now that can't be good for your body, but neither can cancer.

Old 10-06-2007, 05:36 AM

This is a relatively simple test, and can define early on cancers; cancers at a very curable state.

Trust me, the anticipation of the procedure (and the bowel prep( are much worse than the procedure itself.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:51 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek View Post

Trust me, the anticipation of the procedure (and the bowel prep) are much worse than the procedure itself.
That is the truth.
The worst part is the night before.
Ick.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:41 AM

Hey, if you can make it through that bowel prep, you can do anything.

Old 10-06-2007, 05:23 PM

Curious about the 'bowel prep.' Is it really gross?
Can it be explained here without grossing everyone out? Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:52 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
You have to drink a gallon of a special liquid within a short period of time. It's horrible yuckly stuff and it starts giving you the trots almost immediatly. You don't get much sleep that night because you spend so much time in the bathroom. After all you have a gallon of the stuff to get rid of. But, you are really, really CLEAN. We have pictures from my husband's. We are talking CLEAN

Oh, did I say the stuff was horrible????

Old 10-07-2007, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
You have to drink a gallon of a special liquid within a short period of time. It's horrible yuckly stuff and it starts giving you the trots almost immediatly. You don't get much sleep that night because you spend so much time in the bathroom. After all you have a gallon of the stuff to get rid of. But, you are really, really CLEAN. We have pictures from my husband's. We are talking CLEAN

Oh, did I say the stuff was horrible????
So you just drink that stuff while parked on the toilet all night....
O.......K...... That will be one test I will pass on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness