Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 09:53 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times

Advertisements

Have to say I am getting a bit frustrated with shampoo. It bothers me to put something on my head with a list of 30 ingredients, most of which is 20 letter long chemicals. Even the "organics" I come across are filled with that crap.

Can anyone recommend a good shampoo that isn't filled with all that garbage? I'm having a hard time finding one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 09:54 AM

55 posts, read 139,214 times
I suggest using ayurveda soaps, one such is chandrika. I had the same concern and after much research, this is my conclusion. The ayurveda soaps have a lot of oils and free from chemicals. Back to basic

Last edited by foodie23; 12-29-2009 at 10:21 AM..

Old 12-29-2009, 10:04 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,552,954 times
How many "chemical" ingredients do you think are in natural homemade
shampoos?

No offense with not wanting to use the products in conventional shampoo but do realize that 20 letter long chemicals are in everyday natural things too. Just a point to consider - maybe you should know what it is you are trying to avoid?

Old 12-29-2009, 10:06 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Have to say I am getting a bit frustrated with shampoo. It bothers me to put something on my head with a list of 30 ingredients, most of which is 20 letter long chemicals. Even the "organics" I come across are filled with that crap.

Can anyone recommend a good shampoo that isn't filled with all that garbage? I'm having a hard time finding one.
For many years I used Earth Bath Puppy Shampoo. (no, really). Here is a description of the product.....

[Earth Bath] has 100% natural bio-degradable products and contain no DEA, phosphates, enzymes, or synthetic dyes. People tested and pet approved.

The Earthbath Puppy Shampoo is an exceptional tearless and extra gentle shampoo made especially for puppies and their delicate skin. This shampoo is blended with a cherry essence that will have your adorable puppy looking and smelling clean and fresh.

Ingredients: purified water, natural cleansers, gentle conditioning agent, aloe vera, olive oil, squalene (preservative), cherry essence. Sudsey runoff is completely safe and will not harm kids, lawns, or other living things.

It is pricey ($16.00 for 16 ounces), but it smells great and does not have a lot of obnoxious chemicals. (You can order it online or buy it at many pet stores).

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-29-2009, 10:07 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,893,720 times
Home - LUSH Fresh Handmade Cosmetics

Old 12-29-2009, 10:23 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,994,442 times
You do NOT want to use SOAP on your hair...I don't care how "natural" it is, it will leave a gross film. The "cleanest" products are detergents...they lift the oils and dirt and it will rinse cleanly away, without leaving a film. Soap won't do that!
Just because something has a long name, doesn't mean it's bad!

Old 12-29-2009, 11:19 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,310,858 times
I'm really happy with a brand called 'Earth Safe'. Comes in three types .. water, earth and air .. air being no scent, the others having different aromatherapy scents. Water is my fave .. with bergamot, etc.

It's really difficult to find a shampoo or lotion, etc., containing no harmful ingredients. As you say, organic and most, contain all kinds of crap.

Curel is noted for having only good stuff in their line, but found the shampoo way too drying .. same with their lotion and the gel smelled like pin-sol and always felt it added a 'green' sheen to my hair.

If you can find it, (health food stores), highly recommend Earth Safe. Have only seen in a few stores in the last year, so not sure how available it is. The shampoo, hair conditioner and lotion all sell for around $10 - $13 depending on where you purchase it.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:28 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,725,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post

Are you in an area with a health food store?
There are a number of excellent shampoos that are free of so many ingredients that damage both your scalp and hair.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:11 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
How many "chemical" ingredients do you think are in natural homemade
shampoos?

No offense with not wanting to use the products in conventional shampoo but do realize that 20 letter long chemicals are in everyday natural things too. Just a point to consider - maybe you should know what it is you are trying to avoid?
Mostly I just want something simple.

Yes I understand in the world we live in it's hard to avoid a lot of that stuff, but I try to minimize it if possible. Putting a cocktail of 30 chemicals on my head is something I'd rather not do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness