Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 03:08 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,572,273 times

Advertisements

ITs now 5:00 AM and I have been awake for the past hour or so from all the itching

Originally about 2 or so weeks ago, I thought it was an allergic reaction to something I had ate or come in contact with, but this is spreading, it started on my chest, and is now under my armpits, on the soles of my feet (where the itching is most intense) around my groin, my back, and upper arms

Up until pretty much right now, the itching has not been so bad, I have not been woken up in the middle of the night by it before

I am contemplating going to the emergency room for treatment, but I do not have health insurance (cannot afford it)

I know they will bill me, but I wanna know is how much do you think the cost will be for the doctor to see me and the prescription?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 03:20 AM

380 posts, read 961,599 times
I knew someone last summer who had scabies. His didn't sound as bad but he refused to do anything about it. A friend of his took him to the doctor. There is a creme! Call up any clinics nearby and try to get in line as soon as you can, and just ask what prescription to get. You don't need to go to the hospital. It can't all together be that much

Old 03-13-2010, 06:50 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,341,957 times
It could also be tinia. You need a prescription cream such as nystatin and probably about 1000 units per gram. Unfortunately, you can't treat it yourself. Some pharmacies have walk-in clinics (I think Walgreen's does) so I would make some calls and get a price. Believe me, it will not get better on its own.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:49 AM

860 posts, read 2,055,660 times
My granddaughter had a terrible case of scabies a few years ago. The prescription the doctor gave us didn't do a thing and he never did give us any instructions. Fortunately an ole gramma in town who's full of home remedies taught me how to get rid of them.

First, wash EVERYTHING in hot water, all your bedding, clothes you've worn lately, towels - wash it all. Add bleach to what you can. Go to your drugstore and ask for some powdered sulfur. After showering, dry off real good and sprinkle that sulfur powder on the affected areas. Also sprinkle a little on your sheets before you go to bed tonite. Change your bedding etc. every day and keep using the sulfur powder until the scabies are gone. It doesn't take much and they'll be gone in a few days.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:09 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,254,763 times
What you can't add bleach too use oxypowder or borax. To kill the itch soak in some hot sea salt water for 30 minutes with turmeric, neem & tea tree oil. It will stink, but it will help. I would apply neem cream too with whatever else. Layer and rotate. Continue to treat your house like you have scabies for a couple months after. It is a parasite that can live for days without a host so you have to assume they are alive.

I would fog the house with zodiac foggers after you clean. It leaves a residue that will help kill for months.
BEFORE fogging make sure to inspect for bed bugs just in case its that. You should not fog for those.

Cost of office visits in low cost clinics are around 50 bucks if you want to go. Call the local health department and ask where they are. Medication cost vary.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:18 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,298,419 times
What does your skin look like?

Itching is the first symptom and then the mites will show up similar to a small pinpointed red rash that spreads.

Scabies is extremely contagious.

If it is scabies then after you get the cream for treatment you will also have to treat everything in your house that you wore, sat on, slept on etc... (don't shake hands with anyone).

Call your local public health nursing dept. They can lead you to a place for treatment as it is in the best interest of the city to assist with this type of contagious condition. Public health will lead you in the right direction.

Good-luck

Old 03-13-2010, 10:29 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,223,319 times
Just in case you want some accurate information:

"Scabicides used to treat human scabies are available only with a doctor’s prescription. No “over-the-counter” (non-prescription) products have been tested and approved to treat scabies."

"Use of insecticide sprays and fumigants is not recommended."

CDC - Treatment - Scabies

You don't need to bleach anything.....plain old hot water works fine, so does bagging clothing and bedding for several days....

Scabies don't live in carpets or furniture, fogging is not required nor recommended...

You should see a Dr though as you really need to get a prescription for Elimite if you do in fact have scabies..

Last edited by tao; 03-15-2010 at 06:44 AM.. Reason: edited out condescending quotation marks. No baiting, please.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:01 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,629,470 times
If it is really scabies and you are really sure, you can use an inexpensive over-the-counter lice medication like RID. I picked up scabies from some dirty hippy when I was a teen and that is what the doctor recommended. I threw away the bedclothes and bought new, wasn't taking any chances.

Consider trying a walk-in clinic like the ones that they have now in some Walgreens to get confirmation.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:49 PM

2 posts, read 89,555 times
there is a not so new form of this beast known as scalp sarcoptes it is my firm belief that is has mutated to thrive on scalp of human. Let me correct that statement;it thriving on human scalps epidemic and the C.D.C. needs to step on this one now it is causing horrible scars and many other obscure illnesses and ailments . I know this as I am doing very many interviews in my local area and by telephone interviews. around april this year I noticed that my hair seemed dirty and washed repeatedly without feeling like it was clean, I thought to use Dawn dish-washing liquid to see if it would clean my hair any better. What happened was it caused the reaction of the scabies to emerge or become at least noticeable as to something; was in or on my scalp and very painful not much itching if any the dawn lifted the scales of what looked like severe dandruff which I have never had but have seen on others. then the pain severe throbbing and stinging and burning. Since I own a micro-scope I mounted some of the material from my scalp and what a shock a bug what kind I did not know but some research and symptom checks directed me to the ER. There I was treated for usual lice head type but know this was not the problem at all there were not ant bugs that was on my hair but on my scalp. The feeling of being bitten painful very painful and burning. Now when treated for lice all I did was make the problem worse and I mean worse, I was told that I did not do the treatment correctly and to do it again and this time to look on You tube at the videos on how to comb through the nits and lice. After three of four tries and the pain and condition getting much worse I returned to medical staff and assured them that I could not get any bugs from my hair and that they were on my scalp and biting me with such force. Again I was told to repeat the treatment for lice and do it correctly. Now I was very sick from these mites and thought not really sure what I prayed and then shaved my head hair to maybe about a sixteenth of on inch still not able to get to the bugs now I suspect scabies because I pulled off some scale looking shells with the razor and put on slide to view under the scope and now I know; but all information reads not on scalp by medical people but they are behind because it it now and it is bad please help us GOD> Thank s to a team of
Doctors at U.S.C. hosp in Los Angeles California that took the time to listen in the mist of their busy shifts and progressive teaching and researching ; I was treated with Ivermectin and it so helped also about 4 hours after being given the med I felt dead bugs just falling off ,and much of the symptons that I was suffering were much relived like leg pain headache joint pains and severe muscle cramps nausea voimiting and the feeling of being poisened by something as I live alone an wonder how on this earth did I contract this thing? I am now aware of many in my local area grocery store,markets, gas stations and a few others like neighbors and not right next door. Too many and I ask and inform all of them hope that this information helps all even the money from a cashier at local market is full of those bugs please tell your story as I have much more to say about this mutation of scabies known to science is that a mite simular to scabie lives and travels on marijuana plants and who only knows where it has been before it is used by the consumer I mean the street stuff? :Let me be very clear here I do not do drugs and never have,live alone and am not envolved with anyone so why do we have this form of this ? Lets get it treated to totally destroy it please dont just dye your hair to hide what you thing is lice and that the dye will kill it ,because it wont not this beast it is mutated and maybe because of the people that hide it and not treat it . If you have this or know someone that has please get help and dont stop even if the doctors are not knowledgeable about demand dermatolgy please that is what they do even with sub-speciality please dont let it be for all out sakes it needs to be eradaicated . From an accidental scientist.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:59 PM

2 posts, read 89,555 times
temporary relief from itch and does kill some I think because of the alcohol content is the listerene mouth wash it does stop activity for about seven hours or so good to use at bed time to get a moderate amount of sleep. Also sulphur ointment 10% does help repel any new bugs by its nature I am still fighting this mess with all that I have and still searching for more permanent cure.I do know that we as a people must not hide this any longer just get all that the scientific and holostic world and offer this thing is awful and leaves scars and much much more is I am even close to what I think it has caused in my own body. I say this because I have experienced some horrible side effects of the poison from this bug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness