Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 12:03 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieChick1972 View Post
Ive wondered if my husband's smoke is killing me, but my grandfather smoked for a long time and it never hurt my grandmother....so I am hoping for the best.
Like your grandmother you will be fine. What busts my bunnies is that all the chicken little's today run around ignoring the fact that 2nd hand smoke has been around for more than a century with no documented harm to anyone.

The nanny's of the world have managed to brain wash ordinary common sense folks into believing this lie hook line and sinker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 12:04 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Ugu and what is my agenda would be as a non-smoker to say that second hand smoking is dangerous? No honestly? What am I financially or in any other way gaining from it besides educating others? I want to hear that.

READ WHAT I ACTUALLY POSTED. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with your right to breathe smoke-free air.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:37 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,381,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
READ WHAT I ACTUALLY POSTED. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with your right to breathe smoke-free air.
I am quoting you. I have no problems with reading or comprehension for that matter.

Quote:
would never argue with a person's desire to express their opinion that they shouldn't be subject to the smoke, however, when a non-smoker rails against it and then claims that they "truthfully" don't have an agenda, it doesn't lend credibility to their overall arguments.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:08 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpan View Post
Some people already made up their minds, so it is wasting time to tell them something.
For those open-minded, this is a link mentioning 19 people, first hand smokers who lived 100-120 years. It contains additional 9 links about these people from a different news resources:

FORCES - THE EVIDENCE - World's Oldest--All Smokers

My question is, if the second hand smoking is harmful, how could these people survive until they reached a triple digit age, while they were first hand smokers?
I'm sure there are thousands of other smokers around 100 years old all over the world, and millions smokers 80-90 years old...
FORCES???

A completely pro-smoking agenda driven website?

You are really basing an argument on information from that bastion of impartiality??

That's rich

Old 03-21-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I didn't mention the food we ate back then because I'd already said enough..I thought.

But...if you want to talk food, let's begin with DDT. It was on just about everything we ate because everyone used it liberally, including home gardener's. So were other pesticides as dangerous and there was very little control over it.

Meat packers were marginally inspected; retailers hardly at all. Food borne illnesses were quite common. And, we didn't pass it off as the "stomach flu."

Oh well, there's no point in going on. You're bound and determined to live in a state of panic and fear over something, so it might as well be cigarettes.

By the way, it's snowing and blowing here in my part of Texas right now. God knows what it's brought down out of the polluted air! Guess I'd better warn the kids to put mask's and bio-hazard suits on the grandkids before they let them go out and play in it...right?
I think it would be very informative to try this same question ( the original question many pages ago that is) with a poll attached....

Its very clear to me that those OPPOSED to walking through a cloud of smoke to enter a building are non-smokers....

Those who say suck it up, hold your breath, quit your whining, what are you afraid and other enlightening comments are smokers....

Who would have thunk it

Old 03-21-2010, 05:39 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
I think it would be very informative to try this same question ( the original question many pages ago that is) with a poll attached....

Its very clear to me that those OPPOSED to walking through a cloud of smoke to enter a building are non-smokers....

Those who say suck it up, hold your breath, quit your whining, what are you afraid and other enlightening comments are smokers....

Who would have thunk it

Yes, who woulda thunk that smokers might get defensive after having been shoved outdoors, away from entrances, out of parks, playgrounds and beaches, off public transportation and into the nether world of second class status? Who might have supposed they'd grow weary of being the 21st century's new lepers? Who could have forseen that when the do-gooder's and frightened little children had insisted that tax upon tax upon tax be levied on their cigarettes, that smokers might start to push back?

Can you imagine? How dare they!

Old 03-21-2010, 06:04 PM

324 posts, read 573,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
FORCES???

A completely pro-smoking agenda driven website?

You are really basing an argument on information from that bastion of impartiality??

That's rich
"pro-smoking agenda driven website" is your label. What is their real agenda is a matter of speculation. To me it is revealing the emptiness of the antismoking nazis. But unlike of you, I don't claim that, since I don't know for a sure, the same as you don't know it.
What is interesting in your post, is the fact how you would love to discredit the messenger, while ignoring the message. BTW, Forces don't make up the smoking related news/articles, they take it from media and bring it on their website.
Nice try, body, but sorry, you have to try again!

Old 03-21-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpan View Post
"pro-smoking agenda driven website" is your label. What is their real agenda is a matter of speculation. To me it is revealing the emptiness of the antismoking nazis. But unlike of you, I don't claim that, since I don't know for a sure, the same as you don't know it.
What is interesting in your post, is the fact how you would love to discredit the messenger, while ignoring the message. BTW, Forces don't make up the smoking related news/articles, they take it from media and bring it on their website.
Nice try, body, but sorry, you have to try again!
Sorry...the agenda of FORCES is VERY clear....no speculation required.

In this case, discrediting the messenger IS discrediting the message.

Nice try "body" (sic) but try again!

Old 03-21-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Yes, who woulda thunk that smokers might get defensive after having been shoved outdoors, away from entrances, out of parks, playgrounds and beaches, off public transportation and into the nether world of second class status? Who might have supposed they'd grow weary of being the 21st century's new lepers? Who could have forseen that when the do-gooder's and frightened little children had insisted that tax upon tax upon tax be levied on their cigarettes, that smokers might start to push back?

In other words.....where they belonged in the first place.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:30 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,381,037 times
Quote:

As far as I know, they are still hanging out in front of entrances, in the parks, the beaches, the streets and bars in most of the states.

Oh, those poor poor smokers, let's all sit and cry for them together of how unfairly they are being treated! And look at the prices!!! They are being robbed!!!
Or maybe we should all start crying for them, but for other, more obvious reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness