Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 02:53 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
I work for a group of military doctors. Our immuns person who distributes the flu shots every year gets a new batch in and they are all a different "recipe" from the years before of flu vax. Every year I have the same question, "are you getting the flu vax?" to which I always reply, "no, thanks." I always have to sign a waiver explaining WHY I don't want it.

I'm sorry but I see everyday the results of what happens when some people get the flu shot, our patients are told to sit for a minimum of 10 mins afterwards to make sure they don't have a reaction.... there has to be a doctor IN house when the vaccine is administered...

You can't pay me enough money to be someones guinea pig, sorry. I will take my chances as I'v done all my 40 years.
People have to sit for 10 mins....a doctor has to be in house....

The horror...

I can certainly see why you would abstain

Old 10-19-2010, 08:11 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Not a brick wall...an educated wall maybe...
maybe

Old 10-19-2010, 09:24 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Not everyone is "at risk" for the flu, and the vaccine is recommended for people who are at risk. I haven't gotten the vaccine in the past and have no plans on getting it in the near future. My decision has nothing to do with whether or not the vaccine might have unpleasant side effects; it's more just that my immune system is healthy and not compromised by anything, I don't fall into the "at risk" category of people who -should- get it, and I can't be bothered getting a needle in my arm for something I don't really need.
This is exactly how I feel about the flu shot. I am not in a high risk group. If I get the flu, I get the flu. I'm not going to worry about it.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:59 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
This is exactly how I feel about the flu shot. I am not in a high risk group. If I get the flu, I get the flu. I'm not going to worry about it.
^^^^This^^^^

Haven't had a flu shot in about 15 yrs, haven't had the flu in nearly 20 yrs. Decided firmly against it this year when they combined the two vaccines. I'm not in a risk group and I do well in staying away from sick people or germ factories during flu season.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:10 AM

648 posts, read 1,174,729 times
I've always been sketical of the 'flu shot' craze. Not that I'm anti-immunization per se.. but it's always seemed like a big of a big pharm racket to me. And half the time, people seem to get sick anyway... so what's the point? And if you DO get the shot and say 'SEE! I didn't get sick this year.' How do you know you wouldn't have stayed flu-free on your own, anyway? I say just work hard to keep your immune system healthy.. that's what it's for. (unless you are in a weakened state & have good reason to gamble with being a guinea pig, and get the shot.)
Especially when the 'experts' use fear tactics in something that involves making money... come on,, that's the oldest trick in the book. I don't buy into it.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:07 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,822,399 times
Well, a single flu epidemic did wipe out 3 % of the human species within living memory.

If we had something like that today, it would be much worse. Highly contagious diseases get worse with high numbers of people living close together, and fast easily available travel. Not counting panic. Imagine the chaos if we had the Spanish Flu again today, the way people are packed together?

The problem with flu in general is that it speads so fast that you have to start making the vaccines before you know if it is a serious one or not. So by the time you know, the pharmas may be stuck with lots of vaccines already produced.

Spanish Flu, as I've heard it, killed by overstimulationg the immune system. So it was far more lethal to the young and the healthy than the old or sick.

Every time there is a new flu, the dice are rolled again. And at some point they will come up snakeeyes again. And then it is "Ashes, ashes, we all fall down" again.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:51 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
Well, a single flu epidemic did wipe out 3 % of the human species within living memory.

If we had something like that today, it would be much worse. Highly contagious diseases get worse with high numbers of people living close together, and fast easily available travel. Not counting panic. Imagine the chaos if we had the Spanish Flu again today, the way people are packed together?

The problem with flu in general is that it speads so fast that you have to start making the vaccines before you know if it is a serious one or not. So by the time you know, the pharmas may be stuck with lots of vaccines already produced.

Spanish Flu, as I've heard it, killed by overstimulationg the immune system. So it was far more lethal to the young and the healthy than the old or sick.

Every time there is a new flu, the dice are rolled again. And at some point they will come up snakeeyes again. And then it is "Ashes, ashes, we all fall down" again.
Nice fear-mongering with the reference to "The Plague".

At this point we still have freedom of choice as far as what goes into our bodies. Those who are "at risk" or those whom live/work in conditions such as to increase their chances of getting the flu, should exercise their choices appropriately. Those who are not at risk and do not expose themselves to ill people or germ factories should not be chastized for their decision to opt out of the immunization. You sound like a baaaaaaaaa-ing sheep upset because some don't follow the herd mentality.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:40 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
The "Spanish Flu" epidemic of 1918 was not the plague; it killed upwards of 50 million people world-wide. There were plague epidemics in the Middle Ages and later.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-20-2010 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: wrong figure

Old 10-20-2010, 01:01 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
They're pushing that flu shot everywhere! My local grocery store advertised over the loud speaker they were giving the flu shot, there's a major pharmacy chain that advertises the flu shot in their commercials, my employer is offering the flu shot, it is EVERYWHERE. I have never had a flu shot in my life. I think I had only one serious case of the flu before over well 20 years ago and I have never been that sick from a cold ever again.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:17 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
The "Spanish Flu" epidemic of 1918 was not the plague; it killed upwards of 50 million people world-wide. There were plague epidemics in the Middle Ages and later.
The plague reference came from Grim Reader's reference to ashes. The line is from one of the versions of the nursery rhyme "Ring Around The Rosie," which some think referred to the Plague:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_a_Ring_o%27_Roses:

Ring around the rosey,
A pocketful of posies.
ashes, ashes.
We all fall down.

Peter and Iona Opie remark: "The invariable sneezing and falling down in modern English versions have given would-be origin finders the opportunity to say that the rhyme dates back to the Great Plague. A rosy rash, they allege, was a symptom of the plague, posies of herbs were carried as protection and to ward off the smell of the disease. Sneezing or coughing was a final fatal symptom, and 'all fall down' was exactly what happened."[15][16] The line Ashes, Ashes in alternative versions of the rhyme is claimed to refer variously to cremation of the bodies, the burning of victims' houses, or blackening of their skin, and the theory has been adapted to be applied to other versions of the rhyme.[17] In its various forms, the interpretation has entered into popular culture and has been used elsewhere to make oblique reference to the plague.[

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 10-20-2010 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: for clarification
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness