Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 04:52 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,724,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Coyoteskye is correct. Probiotic bacteria found in yogurt and sold in health food stores will do two things: turn the vaginal environment acidic (which will help kill off the yeast) and allow the probiotic bacteria to multiply in the vagina and crowd out the yeast. There is another remedy that can be purchased in pharmacies--an acid gel called "Aci-Gel"--and it will also lower the pH of the vagina which will create an unfavorable environment for yeast. The old standby of the vinegar douche that our mothers once used is based on the idea of making the vagina more acidic and thus unfriendly to yeast growth.

Many people do not realize that yeast can grow outside the vagina in the folds of skin--groin, under breasts and abdominal folds, etc. Topical yeast infections can be treated easily by smearing a little Monistat on the area a couple of times daily until it clears. Topical yeast infections are sometimes associated with diaper rash, too.

Good luck.
I do not think that probiotics "turns the vaginal environment acidic" (i don't think that they affect the acid / alkaline balance at all) and it's a more alkaline environment that is less conducive to candida albicans (yeast).
Also, does one use apple cider vinegar as a douche?
Because apple cider vinegar alkalizes the system ... it doesn't make it more acidic and that more alkaline condition creates a less friendly environment for bacteria and also, apple cider vinegar contains vital minerals and trace elements.
It has a whole host of benefits for the body.
I put 2 teaspoons (raw, unfiltered, organic) in 2 cups of water and sip it throughout the day in order to alkalize the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 04:55 PM

And Monistat will not address the underlying cause of the yeast infection.
So, when you get another infection you can go buy some more of it ... and so on and so forth on for all the years of your life.
When you only treat symptoms those symptoms tend to return if the underlying cause of the condition is not addressed.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:52 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,381,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
OK y'all so this is really embarrassing for me to put this on here but my vagina has been itching me for the past 2-3 days, I checked down there w/ a hand mirror & there's all this clumpy yellow-whitish discharge. I'm nearly 22 & I've never experienced this before. I'm currently not sexually active & I've been PMSing for the past 2 weeks.

I went to the CVS pharmacy this morning & the pharmacist recommended Monistat 3 Day Treatment, I haven't used it this morning. I called my mom to see what was going on & she said that it's normal & it happens sometimes & not to worry about it, if it gets worse try & see the Dr. or go to the pharmacy for some temporary relief.

I guess the questions I have are:
1. Is this an actual yeast infection?
2. Is this going to affect my period? I'm supposed to be getting it sometime this week.
3. Should I just use the Monistat I purchased or go to see the Dr.?
4. One of my girlfriends said that yogurt cures yeast infections, is that true?

Please help...
Your gyno will be able to confirm whether or not this is really yeast infection. To be honest, Monistat is not a solution especially if it comes back over and over again. Have been on antibiotics or some serious meds recently? Do you eat lots and lots of sugar and processed foods? You need to treat this with dietary changes: no sugar, no yeast, no dairy, lots of fresh green leafy vegetables, fermented vegetables. It's possible that you have candiasis (too much yeast in your body). You need to drink KEFIR. Not even yogurt, kefir. It has a lot of friendly bacteria. Also pick up some probiotic supplements from the health food store.

There is also diflucan medication that you can get through your gyno that you will need to take 3 times.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:59 PM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Don't worry. It happens to everyone. Use the Monistat and if it doesn't work see a gynocologist. Have you been taking an antibiotic? If so, this can really screw up your PH balance and cause a urinary or vaginal imbalance. No, it won't affect your period.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Don't worry. It happens to everyone. Use the Monistat and if it doesn't work see a gynocologist. Have you been taking an antibiotic? If so, this can really screw up your PH balance and cause a urinary or vaginal imbalance. No, it won't affect your period.
Though a proper ph balance is important and an acidic environment is conducive to both the over growth of yeast and other problematic bacteria (and actually a whole slew of other health issues), it's not the essential reason that antibiotics often lead to a yeast infection.
And i do not know whether it's factual to say that antibiotics are a direct cause of a ph imbalance ... i'll have to check on that.
But whether or not that's true, the yeast infection is a direct result of this > the anti-biotic does not discriminate between what it's intended to destroy and with the naturally occurring and necessary friendly bacteria .... along with wiping out whatever it's intended to, it destroys so much of that aforementioned friendly bacteria which keeps the yeast (also naturally occurring in the gut and in small amounts, in the vagina) in check ... prevents an overgrowth of it.
That's why using a good pro-biotic supplement (orally but especially as a vaginal suppository ideally beginning at the onset of the yeast infection) is so effective.
So if you wanna use pharmaceuticals / chemicals, go right ahead.
If you wanna use a natural and effective and logical natural remedy, more power to you.
And anyone (men and women) who has taken at least 1 course of antibiotics would be wise to take a good probiotic supplement orally on a regular basis.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:23 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,205,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
I do not think that probiotics "turns the vaginal environment acidic" (i don't think that they affect the acid / alkaline balance at all) and it's a more alkaline environment that is less conducive to candida albicans (yeast).
Also, does one use apple cider vinegar as a douche?
Because apple cider vinegar alkalizes the system ... it doesn't make it more acidic and that more alkaline condition creates a less friendly environment for bacteria and also, apple cider vinegar contains vital minerals and trace elements.
It has a whole host of benefits for the body.
I put 2 teaspoons (raw, unfiltered, organic) in 2 cups of water and sip it throughout the day in order to alkalize the system.
The most well known probiotic bacterium is Lactobacillus Acidolphilus. Almost all of the other common probiotics produce lactic acid or other acidic compounds as part of their metabolism. See this link:

List Of Probiotic Bacteria | LIVESTRONG.COM

Yes, these bacteria do create an acidic environment throughout the digestive tract and where else they reside. The Aci-Gel I cited in my earlier post does this, too--creates and acidic environment in the vagina.

I think that in decades past that women just used regular vinegar in their douches as I don't know that apple cider vinegar was that readily available "back then".

You are correct that taking apple cider vinegar has an alkalizing effect on the body but many other foods also have this effect. See this link for foods that alkalize and foods that acidify:

Acid / Alkaline Food Charts and Potassium-Rich Foods Chart

Old 05-02-2010, 08:32 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,923 times
I think there is now an over the counter TEST for yeast infection.

Very common and I certainly recall having them at that age but have not had one in decades - really not since I hit my 30s.

I used to do a warm white vinegar/water douche if I felt one coming on but I used monistat if I got one [back in the days when it was Rx only and you had to go to the doctor and have him poke around to make a diagnosis, it was an incentive to try self cures first] and it was quite effective. FWIW of COURSE apple cider vinegar was available back then! I think they don't recommend douching so much anymore; it was a "going away" thing when I was younger but I know my mother did it all the time.

Switch to white cotton underwear and change frequently. Sleep bare-assed to get air to the underparts.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:47 PM

12,956 posts, read 13,671,429 times
milk of magnesia is used on toddlers who have yeast infections, I think women have used it too.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
The most well known probiotic bacterium is Lactobacillus Acidolphilus. Almost all of the other common probiotics produce lactic acid or other acidic compounds as part of their metabolism. See this link:

List Of Probiotic Bacteria | LIVESTRONG.COM

Yes, these bacteria do create an acidic environment throughout the digestive tract and where else they reside. The Aci-Gel I cited in my earlier post does this, too--creates and acidic environment in the vagina.

I think that in decades past that women just used regular vinegar in their douches as I don't know that apple cider vinegar was that readily available "back then".

You are correct that taking apple cider vinegar has an alkalizing effect on the body but many other foods also have this effect. See this link for foods that alkalize and foods that acidify:

Acid / Alkaline Food Charts and Potassium-Rich Foods Chart

I'm confused about something.
An alkalized system helps prevent bacteria, etc. but then i remember learning ... or hearing ... years ago (via osmosis ... i dunno) that it's the vagina's acidic environment that prevents problematic bacterial situations ... other than yeast infections that is.
So i don't know how to reconcile those two "facts" if indeed the second statement about the acidic environment of the vagina is true.

Also, i'm not sure how significant the ph effect of probiotics is but that's another story.
And though acidophillus is the most well know "friendly bacteria" (seems mostly 'cause of the common food yogurt) i don't think that it's any more essential / significant . helpful than the the other naturally occurring friendly bacteria .... seems to me it wouldn't be and that all the strains are equally important and so while yeah, yogurt is good (although i don't like dairy) it's a good idea, imo, to find a good probiotic supplement with all of the strains.

Oh and apple cider vinegar was praised by Hippocrates (400BC) as healing elixir.
This is according to a few sources on the web ... a couple just refer to vinegar and a couple to apple cider vinegar.
Did they have apples back then?

Last edited by coyoteskye; 05-02-2010 at 09:27 PM..

Old 05-03-2010, 05:55 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,205,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
I'm confused about something.
An alkalized system helps prevent bacteria, etc. but then i remember learning ... or hearing ... years ago (via osmosis ... i dunno) that it's the vagina's acidic environment that prevents problematic bacterial situations ... other than yeast infections that is.
So i don't know how to reconcile those two "facts" if indeed the second statement about the acidic environment of the vagina is true.

Also, i'm not sure how significant the ph effect of probiotics is but that's another story.
And though acidophillus is the most well know "friendly bacteria" (seems mostly 'cause of the common food yogurt) i don't think that it's any more essential / significant . helpful than the the other naturally occurring friendly bacteria .... seems to me it wouldn't be and that all the strains are equally important and so while yeah, yogurt is good (although i don't like dairy) it's a good idea, imo, to find a good probiotic supplement with all of the strains.

Oh and apple cider vinegar was praised by Hippocrates (400BC) as healing elixir.
This is according to a few sources on the web ... a couple just refer to vinegar and a couple to apple cider vinegar.
Did they have apples back then?
Did they have apples back then? Of course they did. Remember the Garden of Eden?

The kidneys are the organs responsible for maintaining the acid-base balance in the body and they do a good job of it, even if the person has a diet of mainly acid-producing foods. However, it is primarily meats and proteins that are acid-producing and fruits and vegetables that are alkaline producing and the healthiest diet is probably one that has an abundance of fruits and vegetables with sufficient protein in it to maintain organ health. There are some conditions that a physician will recommend a diet stressing alkalizing foods, such as certain kidney conditions in order to keep the urine alkaline.

I agree with you about a multi-bacteria concoction is better than a single one. This is why I drink milk kefir every day. Kefir has up to 30 different kinds of beneficial organisms and I ferment my own at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness