Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 07:44 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,652,115 times

Advertisements

I loved mine. I think I used maybe 4-5 tampons the ENTIRE 5 years I was on it. I think the box is still in the linen closet... Had it taken out last week. Now that was different. The doc couldn't find the strings and after reading all of your stories I must say I was more than a little nervous. He had to open my cervix and after 10-15 minutes of looking, finally found it and yanked that baby out. I am not needing any birth control right now so we didn't put another in. Still unsure if I will have it replaced.

dlcarl, that's funny and scary at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 10:53 AM

1 posts, read 14,419 times
I got the Mirena IUD placed about nine days ago. After doing THOROUGH research and talking to countless friends who loved it, I decided that I would get one. I cannot remember pills and have tried everything. I knew that not having a child yet would make it more painful, however, having a child now while I am in college would be much more painful for me.

Anyway, my doctor assured me it would only be a quick pinch and I would be fine...not the case. It was the most excruciatingly painful twenty minute ordeal I have EVER experienced and I have had a lot of surgery and medical procedures. I threw up all over myself and they still continued. I passed out when it was over and I stood up. After about thirty minutes though it eased off and I was fine. THEN five hours later, while I was cooking dinner, I collapsed and went into chat the emt described as severe labor pains that lasted for hours and I had to take pain medication for it.

Its been nine days and I still have severe menstrual like cramps and just got out of the hospital for severe vertigo. The doctor in the ER didn't seem to have any idea why I was experiencing severe vertigo spells if I have never had minor ones. Needless to say, I am out of work and school and completely bedredden due to being miserably dizzy. I am relieved to know that the IUD may be the cause, as I was afraid of brain problems, and I hope that it will be a comfort to you that you are not the only one experiencing the dizzy spells.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:26 PM

1 posts, read 14,092 times
has anyone ever gotten pregnant on the mirena? I have had it for almost 3yrs now and i have had a light menstral every month since and this month i havent had one yet is it too late in the game for my periods to stop?

Old 10-05-2009, 01:47 PM

1 posts, read 14,054 times
Default Iud gone wrong!

I had found out that I was allergic to nickel and possibly many other metals around February 2008. The allergy all of a sudden hit me and ever since then I have been a nickel mess.

I wanted to be responsible and take the best contraceptive which I thought was an IUD. I was only 19 at the time, and I had heard that IUD's are not especially for women who have not had children so I was a bit weary, but I wanted the most effective tool.

I asked two doctors in my town who volunteered at Planned Parenthood (the location of the implant) if I could even get the copper IUD because it might contain nickel. And they assured me that it didn't and one even said that they looked it up before my appointment and said it was 100% nickel free. Both doctors told me that only women who have Wilson's disease cannot get an IUD, and they assured me that I did not have this disease. I got it done the morning of July 2nd 2008. It hurt so much!!! There was a nurse who even held my hand when the doctor put it in. Horrible. And I had to walk down the street to where my friend was (horrible walk). My cramps were still going high-strong after at least six hours of the placement.

The whole day I lay in bed. I felt sick and vomited later that night. I ended up not going to work the next day and began vomiting bile. I was by myself, and wanted to run a bath but on my way walking to the bathroom I passed out, for who knows long. I was dizzy, delirious, and puke central. I couldn't communicate to my friends when they asked me questions that afternoon. They luckily called the doctor who gave the IUD, but he didn't answer the phone. They waited a few hours and by 6pm they finally ended up taking me to the ER.

The ER doctor, who was one of the Planned Parenthood volunteer doctors demanded that I tell her what was wrong with me (this is what my friends in the ER told me, since I was delirious) but since I was so out of it I couldn't answer let along comprehend her, she said "FINE, I won't help you until communicate with me", and she began to walk out of the ER. My friends were shocked! They told her "She's sick! It's the IUD, you need to get it out!" And the doctor told them it was none of their business and told them to leave and said it was impossible that the IUD was making me so sick since I did not have Wilson's disease.

Finally the doctor took my blood, and injected some medicine into me, three injections. Finally after the third injection I could talk and understand what was going on.

My doctor came back and declared my red blood cell count was sky rocketed and that it was defending itself from the IUD, which my body rejected. She took it out right after she told me and said it was essential that she take it out.

I felt 100% BETTER WHEN SHE TOOK IT OUT! I FELT LIKE I WAS BRAND SPANKING NEW! --Except for some cramping. And like that, I was let free to go, after spending almost 5 hours in the ER.

I never recieved a follow up for which I asked for...
I even told Plant Parenthood about it and asked for them to look into it, and no reply...
I have even called Plant Parenthood up in Anchorage and Fairbanks asking for them to look into this, and still no response.

My doctor who put in the IUD said this was a rare case and he doesn't know what happened. Of course he left my town not even two months after this all happened, so I didn't get to talk to him more.

I believe it is because I am highly allergic to nickel, or possibly copper. I don't even know if I have Wilson's disease.
At the ER they never bothered to do blood tests to see if I had Wilson's disease, of course....

My body swelled up
I was itching
I was puking non stop, dizzy, dry mouth
it was a nightmare.

And I hope this helps someone out there, who is allergic and is wanting an IUD...

I don't think it's right to tell people it's safe when it's not.

Plus to top it off, the hospital violated a HIPPA right and sent my billing to the wrong people who opened my mail. And I'm trying to fight my ER bill by saying they violated but they keep telling me that they won't reduce or even drop my bill.

Health care is pretty ridiculous.

I hope I helped someone!

--Since then I have changed birth control two times. I took of Ortho Tri-Cyclen and that made me an emotional wreck. I was crying constantly, was mad all the time, and I just felt worthless. I changed and I'm on a Ortho-Cyclen...which I mean I'm a lot better than I was before. I wish I didn't have to take these silly pills. But I don't want depo, the patch, or a diaphram cup thing. Pills aren't that bad, they are just a pain.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 14,074 times
I have had the Mirena IUD in for 9 months now and for 7months I have had a YI that will not go away. I have never had one in my whole life. I also get the dizziness which I never connected to the IUD, but that started a little after having it inserted so it may be connected. I still have mine but will be getting it removed next week. Im sure many women have good luck with this IUD, other than the YI I havent had any other problems, but many women have had a lot of bad experiences, to read their stories, you can google Mirena and BV or Yeast infection and there are many many forums with women who have similiar symptoms as me.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:19 AM

1 posts, read 13,988 times
i havent had any problems with mine and now its time to come out. today is the big day and i want to have another child. i got mine put in 5 yrs ago after i had my son. i would prefer it, but every womens body is different. those of u who have had problems its because ur body or the meds that were in it ur body couldnt take.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:18 AM

1 posts, read 13,640 times
I have only had the mirena for 10 months but have experiences spotting for 7-10 days ever since! Not to mention the acne and dull cramping on and off during and after sex!. To top it off, I started experiencing a dirty discharge that caused discomfort on my vulva. Of course I had a pap to make sure all was well (LOL), but I was told it was just my cervix shedding. Needless to say, I decided that enough was enough! Well, the mirena had a differenct idea. After a hour and a half visit, every tool possible in a doctors office, 2 doctors, and 3 nurses later, THEY COULD NOT FIND IT! They lifted my cervix, which felt like constant contractions, but could not locate my strings. I have an appt. on Monday for a xray to locate it. If it is located then I have to go to a day hospital for a DNC (scrapping of my cervix) to get it out! If it's not located, then lets just pray I haven't conceived. Birth control affects everyone differently, but there are some dangerous side efects out there. After I left the doctor's office I did some research and there are some horror stories out there pertaining to the mirena causing damage to the cervix.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:08 PM

37 posts, read 163,167 times
Mirena is the devil. I hated it. I was so excited to get it and I had lost all of my baby weight when I got it put in. I gained 50 lbs in 3 months, and I wasn't doing anything different, was still exercising and eating healthy like before. I can't seem to get this weight off now! I wanted the copper one, the non-hormonal one, and they put that one in. I had severe mood swings, depression, my doc put me on Zoloft for the depression-he thought I suffered PPD, but after I took out the Mirena I was fine! No more light-sensitive migraines or nausea! Everyone's body is different, but this thing seems to get very similar reactions in women. I'd stay away from it.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:48 AM

1 posts, read 13,461 times
I had my Paragard IUD inserted in January of 2008. Went back after 90 days and the dr couldn't find my strings, but did an internal ultrasound and showed me it was in place. Well started going to new dr in January of this year, my other dr retired, and was questioning some odd odors and was told I had bacterial vaginosis, so I decided to have the iud removed. Well after poking around (ouch) the dr couldn't find my strings and sent me for an ultrasound, still not strings nor the iud so they thought I had expelled it. Just to make sure, they sent me for an x-ray and I am thankful they did - it has apparently perforated my uterus and is now in my abdomen. I have to have surgery to have it removed and am going to have my tubes tied at the same time (I am over 40). I don't know how long it has been out of place, but my fiance just about had a stroke when I told him.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 13,428 times
I have had the paragaurd and ended up with the Mirena my problem with the paraguard is do very deep research. I ended up with staph infection and it was so bad that they had to give me sulfur pills just to kill it in my body. When they removed the paraguard the copper was completely oxidized (it had turned completely black). So please reconsider your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness