Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 08:13 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times

Advertisements

I don't think this is going to be a party cruise. More of a memorial type cruise and to view the area where the Titanic sank. I wonder how many relatives will take this cruise. I also wonder how the cruise officials will find all these relatives 100 years after the sinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 10:07 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I don't think this is going to be a party cruise. More of a memorial type cruise and to view the area where the Titanic sank. I wonder how many relatives will take this cruise. I also wonder how the cruise officials will find all these relatives 100 years after the sinking.
It's not specifically for relatives, it's open to anyone. I doubt many relatives will be going - my wife's greatgrandfather perished on the titanic. I always had an interest in the Titanic, but for most of the relatives it's still too much of a personal tragedy. Its too recent to be a historical event, to recent to erase the tragedy from personal family history. I still remember my wife's grandmother before she passed on - for her it all narrowed down to her losing her father at a very young age, nothing more, nothing less. The pain of losing a father was still there, up to the day she died. She had otherwise absolutely no interest in the events of the Titanic, I doubt she watched any movie about it at all (her opinion of the last titanic move? "not another one of those").

I've been following it on the "cruisecritic" forum (specialized forum for cruisers). None are related to the event, just people that like cruises. Many have booked. They are talking about costume parties, a couple planning to dress as "jack and rose", one looking for a tuxedo style worn by John Jacob Astor, some talking in excitement about still seeing icebergs, some looking up the entertainment schedule. Yeah - sounds like it will be that type of cruise. A "themed" cruise. I think I will pass.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:41 PM

74 posts, read 121,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
See the location? What would distinguish it from any other patch of ocean?
icebergs.
maybe he hasn't seen one.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:58 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
It's not specifically for relatives, it's open to anyone. I doubt many relatives will be going - my wife's greatgrandfather perished on the titanic. I always had an interest in the Titanic, but for most of the relatives it's still too much of a personal tragedy. Its too recent to be a historical event, to recent to erase the tragedy from personal family history. I still remember my wife's grandmother before she passed on - for her it all narrowed down to her losing her father at a very young age, nothing more, nothing less. The pain of losing a father was still there, up to the day she died. She had otherwise absolutely no interest in the events of the Titanic, I doubt she watched any movie about it at all (her opinion of the last titanic move? "not another one of those").

I've been following it on the "cruisecritic" forum (specialized forum for cruisers). None are related to the event, just people that like cruises. Many have booked. They are talking about costume parties, a couple planning to dress as "jack and rose", one looking for a tuxedo style worn by John Jacob Astor, some talking in excitement about still seeing icebergs, some looking up the entertainment schedule. Yeah - sounds like it will be that type of cruise. A "themed" cruise. I think I will pass.
Why do I have this Dr. Who like vision of this cruise with some nice staged events and a dedication but some strange aliens studying odd human behaviors behind it all?

To me it sounds like something a decendent would not want to touch.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:01 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
Quote:
Sounds like an asinine college fraternity/sorority party.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:18 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Sounds like an asinine college fraternity/sorority party.
They will probably have to have a line at the ship's bow for all the people who want to climb up and scream "I'm king of the world!" I wouldn't be surprised if they had a setup featuring a professional photographer .."King of the world photos! $35.00! Getchur king of the world photo taken!" For the more timid passengers, they might even have erected a little platform set to resemble the bow, but safely set back several feet away, where you can get your picture taken so that it looks like you are teetering over the ocean while shouting the mantra.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:31 PM

I couldn't resist, left a post at the Cruise Critic forum (somewhat redundant with my post above). What really sealed it was reading innumerable posts of "oh my I'm a fan of the Titanic":

I like the idea of a costume party, yeah yeah. Now tell me – who will be dressing up as my wife’s great grandfather? More specifically, who will be taking a memorial plunge in the 30 degree Atlantic ocean at the place where he met his death 98 years ago to experience what was described by survivors as “a thousand knives going into the body”?

I’ve read of several here claiming to be a “fan” of the Titanic disaster. Fan? Is one a fan of WWII? Is one a fan of The Black Plague? One has an interest in a subject, one will lay wreathes in memorial, one will read about a subject, one may watch documentaries about a subject. One may recreate the events of the time to try to understand a subject (i.e. Civil War re-enactors) … one does not have 5 days of party to memorialize a disaster, at least those who have not earned the right. And those people who have earned the right (survivors or immediate relatives impacted by the disaster) are no longer among us. My wife’s grandmother, an feisty old lady who at a very young age lost her father, passed on about 15 years ago. However I can tell you with certainty she had absolutely no interest in anything to do with the Titanic. To her it meant one thing - the loss of a father. Nothing more, nothing less. She had the right…and I can tell you exactly what she would have thought about this cruise.

Someone said this is history. It is not history, not yet, no more than the 9/11 disaster is. There is nothing to learn from the titanic disaster of historical value. And I would not imagine people would have a costume party at ground zero, complete with partiers dressed as firemen. It’s still a personal tragedy for some families, as long as one family member can remember the pain, sadness, and loss in an old woman’s eyes when her father was mentioned.

Now, I have an interest (not a “fan”) in the Titanic as well, read all the books, etc. This was even before I became related to the event by marriage. Some of the subject matter – laying down a wreath at the site, speakers on the subject, is of interest. But some of the posts here have entered the realm of the surreal. Enjoy your cruise, this Titanic relative will NOT be attending, and I only ask when you put on your Jack and Rose costumes and drink your martinis, to remember that it is still a fresh memory of loss to many families.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:36 AM

737 posts, read 1,036,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Seems sort of odd, doesn't it, making a party out of the anniversary of a disaster. In 2101, will the descendants of 9/11 survivors be invited to Manahattan to ride up and down in skyscraper elavators?

I wonder what the atmosphere of that cruise is supposed to be. Normally a sea cruise is happy go lucky party time, but are these folks expected to act all somber and bereived out of respect for those who perished? Or maybe they are festive until 11:40 pm on April 14th, and then they call a halt to the Limbo contest and observe a minute of silence.
How low can you go?

Old 09-08-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I couldn't resist, left a post at the Cruise Critic forum (somewhat redundant with my post above). What really sealed it was reading innumerable posts of "oh my I'm a fan of the Titanic...
Interesting, seems my post in the CC forum is going viral:

Titanic memorial cruise passengers criticised for fancy dress plans | Mail Online

» Emotions run high over Titanic memorial cruise Cruise Critic UK

Old 09-10-2010, 01:46 PM

737 posts, read 1,036,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
...they will find them much older!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History