Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 06:58 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,254,619 times

Advertisements

I think New York is interesting.

From the Dutch patroons, to the English takeover, to the Leatherstocking tales, to briefly hosting the national capital, to the Erie Canal, to Tammany Hall and immigrant waves, to being the capital of the world, to decline and grime and punk art.

Okay the Bloomberg years were boring.

But I think New York has the most interesting history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2021, 09:26 PM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
New Mexico followed by New York, Massachusetts, Missouri, Virginia, Louisiana and California more or less in that order.

Old 02-28-2021, 11:21 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Hawaii. It's the only state that has a unique language and was formerly a sovereign Nation.
Alaska also has aboriginal languages but they are not unique to that state.

Old 03-01-2021, 05:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Hawaii. It's the only state that has a unique language and was formerly a sovereign Nation.
Alaska also has aboriginal languages but they are not unique to that state.
Just wanted to point out that Texas used to be a sovereign nation. I believe ten states were formerly sovereign nations. Don't think they had a unique language though.

Anyway, I think that most states have an interesting history. I'd have to say that to me, Virginia and Texas top the list but I think most of the history of our individual states is interesting.

Old 03-01-2021, 06:57 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltatrix View Post
I think Rhode Island has one of the most interesting histories...... a state founded on the principals of true religious freedom, in part by a woman no less, Ms. Anne Hutchinson...first to rebel against the British....first to celebrate Fourth of July..... first to industrialize.....and played a huge role in the slave trade between SC and the Carribbean, not that that's anything to be proud of. Of course they are all interesting.
I suspect that the state one lives in is generally the most interesting since it can often be personally experienced.

And for that reason among others, I vote Rhode Island as well- many many firsts and many vestiges which still can be seen. Want to know about the birthplace of American industry- just go see Slater Mill.

Old 03-04-2021, 03:43 AM

1,014 posts, read 480,079 times
Massachusetts. I think they have the most interesting. Witches. Ghost. Goblins. Halloween. And they have a little bible to their history too. 1692 Salem Witchcraft hunts. Plus along with the pilgrims that landed there. They have a little bible history to their story. I kind of like it.

Old 03-04-2021, 10:41 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,131,452 times
Of the original 13 colonies, definitely Massachusetts, The Pilgrims came there to avoid religious persecution, and had to settle in a much more harsh environment than Virginia, without the cash crops (tobacco) which gave VA an leg up. Of course the Boston Tea Party comes to mind, and Paul Revere, Harvard University, The Kennedys, Sam Malone/Cheers.

My home state of Iowa passes thru history very clean, the big event was the Spirit Lake Massacre in the 1850's, and it was the Indians who did the massacring. I look to the states of Kansas and Missouri as having the most interesting history in our region, although the Al Capone era of Chicago puts Illinois in the running. Kansas and Missouri fought the Civil War against each other 10 years before it started. Bleeding Kansas, Quantrill's Raiders, Jessie James. Kansas had a lot of cowboys passing thru from Texas, making it a focal point in the history of the old west, and great fictional entertainment for a future TV show about that era, Gunsmoke. Wyatt Earp, the most famous law man in history, gets his start in Dodge City, and later made a big mark on Arizona's history in Tombstone, at the OK Coral.

Old 03-11-2021, 12:46 AM

4,621 posts, read 2,224,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
Which state is usa has the most interesting history in your opinion?
I'm tempted to say Texas because I live in Texas and I've learned a lot about Texas but there's so much history and New York and Florida and Georgia and California and New Mexico how do you pick just one?

Old 03-11-2021, 03:19 AM

140 posts, read 167,018 times
Louisiana was a crossroads of cultures and governments: French, English, Indian, Creole. It's like the American Quebec.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:26 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Just wanted to point out that Texas used to be a sovereign nation. I believe ten states were formerly sovereign nations. Don't think they had a unique language though.

Anyway, I think that most states have an interesting history. I'd have to say that to me, Virginia and Texas top the list but I think most of the history of our individual states is interesting.
I agree that all States have an interesting history and that a better question is 'what is interesting about the history of your State?'

Interesting to note that Florida and Texas have parallel histories, reflecting how mostly English-speaking settlers and the fledgling US government drove away the last vestiges of European power from corners and swathes of the continent, and involving wars against local rival powers to consolidate their presence. Napoleon was a big help, not only putting France in a hole, leading to the sale of the Louisiana Territory, but also weakening Spain in all the Americas, leading to the purchase of the Florida Territory and eventually the take-over of Texas, as well as much of the southwest, from fledgling Mexico.

Both Florida and Texas became US States in 1845.

Last edited by bale002; 03-11-2021 at 06:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History