Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2021, 01:55 AM

11,484 posts, read 6,008,999 times

Advertisements

I concur with Virginia, although an argument could be made for Pennsylvania or Massachussets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2021, 06:02 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Smallpox played a greater role than did violence. Amerindians had no resistance to smallpox. Europeans did not make a big imprint in Africa or Asia because the people of that common landmass had some resistance. Basically smallpox went like a knife through butter in the America, Australia and the Pacific Islands.

Why are people guilting themselves over Western conquests? There were plenty of Native upon Native slaughters. War Before Civilization: The Myth of the Peaceful Savage by Lawrence H. Keeley details this. Link to my review of this book.
How does any of that apply to my post? To be clear, my post was in agreement with selecting Hawaii, not inherently with the reasons why the poster I quoted selected the state, which is why I added a detailed explanation that differed from that poster.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 11-20-2021 at 06:46 AM..

Old 11-20-2021, 07:29 AM

35,073 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
How does any of that apply to my post? To be clear, my post was in agreement with selecting Hawaii, not inherently with the reasons why the poster I quoted selected the state, which is why I added a detailed explanation that differed from that poster.
I see your point and partially agree. I grow cross-eyed when I see vitriolic attacks on the overthrow of the Hawaiian emperor. I highly doubt she was particularly native-friendly. No one has told me much about whether she enjoyed a lifestyle far and away above that of the average islander.

Old 11-20-2021, 07:32 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Smallpox played a greater role than did violence. Amerindians had no resistance to smallpox. Europeans did not make a big imprint in Africa or Asia because the people of that common landmass had some resistance. Basically smallpox went like a knife through butter in the America, Australia and the Pacific Islands.

Why are people guilting themselves over Western conquests? There were plenty of Native upon Native slaughters. War Before Civilization: The Myth of the Peaceful Savage by Lawrence H. Keeley details this. Link to my review of this book.
Right, so, because the tribes warred with each other, they deserved what they got from their uninvited guests?! Or what colonialism did to them doesn't matter, who cares? What's your point? (BTW, genocide is a crime against humanity in international law. War isn't, unless it's a genocidal war.)

Nobody's "guilting" anyone; we're discussing history. If you can't handle it, get help. And btw, don't forget, that supposedly colonialism was justifying itself by claiming to bring "civilization" to the "savages" (aka the "heathens"). How come anytime someone decides to "civilize" someone else, or bring them The Word Of God, their approach involves death, destruction, and the loss of their hapless "beneficiaries'" land base and self-governance?

I still think, the fact that Hawaii was the only state with a monarchy makes it pretty interesting. But maybe Sungrins was right; the overthrow was just another variation of the same old story.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 11-20-2021 at 08:16 AM..

Old 11-20-2021, 08:42 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Maine

More lobsters and blueberries than
Any other state … and most forested state

Maine has an extensive history

Popham (ca. 1550–1608) and Raleigh Gilbert (ca. 1583–1634) establish English settlement, Fort Saint George (the Popham Colony), at the mouth of the Kennebec River (Colony, now Phippsburg, abandoned 1608)
Popham colonists build Maine's first ocean–going ship, a 30-ton pinnace, The Virginia, which crosses the Atlantic at least twice and sails along the Maine coast in 1608 and 1609.

Old 11-20-2021, 09:48 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times
Arizona

The Grand Canyon
The Great Meteor Crater
Tombstone - The town too tough to die.
Wyatt Earp
Standing on the corner in Winslow Arizona
Superstition Mountains
Cochise
Kit Carson
Geronimo
The last of the contiguous states to join the US
Lowell Observatory where the planet Pluto was discovered by Clyde Tombaugh
Barry Goldwater
The Diamondbacks
The Suns
Lynda Carter
Dick Van Dyke
Linda Ronstadt
Cesar Chavez
Barbara Eden
John McCain
Marty Robbins
Jack Elam
Gabrielle Giffords
Andy Devine
The murder of Don Bolles
The murder of Bob Crane
Wallace and Ladmo

Old 11-20-2021, 10:21 AM

167 posts, read 162,649 times
Has to be Virginia. Take this state out of the US and soooo much history would be lost.

Virginia is home to the first permanent English speaking colony. The two wars that defined this country ended in Virginia. The Revolutionary war at Yorktown, and the Civil War at Appomattox Court House. Virginia has had many battles from these two wars take place in the state.

The primary architects of the Declaration of Independence (Thomas Jefferson), and US Constitution (James Madison), were Virginians.

More presidents have come from Virginia then any other state as well.

Lewis & Clark were Virginians that were sent to explore the west after the Louisiana Purchase made by Jefferson.

These are just some of the major items. Too many more to mention.

Old 11-20-2021, 10:32 AM

35,073 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Right, so, because the tribes warred with each other, they deserved what they got from their uninvited guests?! Or what colonialism did to them doesn't matter, who cares? What's your point? (BTW, genocide is a crime against humanity in international law. War isn't, unless it's a genocidal war.)
My point was that the waging of war was hardly new and hardly a colonialist invention.

Quote:
Nobody's "guilting" anyone; we're discussing history. If you can't handle it, get help.
Why do you so often make a personal attack? I don't attack you. As far as "guilting" goes I'm not referring to CD; I'm referring to the shakedowns of successful countries and peoples at the U.N., COP26 and other pickpocket venues.
Quote:
And btw, don't forget, that supposedly colonialism was justifying itself by claiming to bring "civilization" to the "savages" (aka the "heathens"). How come anytime someone decides to "civilize" someone else, or bring them The Word Of God, their approach involves death, destruction, and the loss of their hapless "beneficiaries'" land base and self-governance?
Here we agree. I never was comfortable with the "missionary" justification for conquest or "white man's burden."

Quote:
I still think, the fact that Hawaii was the only state with a monarchy makes it pretty interesting. But maybe Sungrins was right; the overthrow was just another variation of the same old story.
That it does though in a way all 50 states have had monarchies. British in the case of the original 13 plus Northwest Territory over the mountains, Oregon, Idaho, Washington and probably some of Utah. Spanish and English in the case of Florida. French and Spanish in the case of the Louisiana Purchase areas, basically the whole Mississippi River basin west of the Mississippi. Spanish in the case of Texas, New Mexico, part of Colorado, part of Oklahoma (not sure about the rest of Oklahoma), Utah, Arizona and California. And last but not least, Alaska as part of Czarist Russia.

Old 11-21-2021, 02:26 PM

119 posts, read 59,205 times
I have to say Virginia-

Birthplace of the nation at Jamestown
Mother of Presidents
Surrender of the British in Yorktown
First women-owned bank in the US
First electric street cars in the US
CSA surrender in Appomattox
More civil war battles than any other state
Robert E Lee- only general in history to be offered command of two opposing armies
World's first naval battle of iron ships
Pentagon- largest office building
Home of the internet- 70% of all internet traffic in the world
Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel
Mount Vernon, Monticello, Montpelier, Ash Lawn-Highland,

Natural Bridge
First Thanksgiving
Arlington National Cemetery
First college fraternity
Largest naval base
Mother of States
First Iron Furnace
First peanuts grown
Patrick Henry- Give me liberty or give me death
College of William and Mary, UVA
Secretariat's home
Colonial Williamsburg
Pony swim
First public theater
First democratically elected body in the colonies

Etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History