Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 08:57 AM

26,784 posts, read 22,561,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizarro View Post
I suppose that you are joking, or you are either a diehard Stalinist with more than 90 years or a Stalinist Skinhead with flat encefalogram.... or somebody from Stalin's town in Georgia. But your family were minor apparatchiks not even part of the Nomenklatura. So you must be from a Russian urban tribe, "Retro Stalinists shopping in Western Gulags".
Can you please contribute something original and interesting to this thread, instead of mundane drivel?
Thanks in advance, that would be much appreciated, otherwise I don't see any reason to comment on your posts in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 09:07 AM

337 posts, read 930,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Right. I'm sure that Calvinism promoted among the first American settlers was teaching them that hard work and "personal freedoms" bring happiness and prosperity.
Actually it did. One of the Calvinist beliefs was that worldly success was a sign that one was favored by God and therefore among the elect. So they had plenty of incentive to work hard. (Max Weber's "Protestant work ethic")

Old 09-06-2012, 09:10 AM

2,920 posts, read 2,798,833 times
Quote:
"Hate" wouldn't be the right word for the most part; rather "weary," and the US upper class in particular.
The ideas of communism are nothing new in Europe ( in fact "The ghost of Communism is wandering in Europe" are not Russian words; this is the beginning of the Manifest of the Communist party of Germany written by Marx as now I can see it.)
I don't know about Europeans with all their left ideas, but to America in particular communism is a death threat, because the whole thing that propels her to the top of the world is the power of capital.
So as long as that "Ghost of Communism" is wandering the Earth, America's future as Europe's legitimate daughter is never safe. And as long as that illegitimate child of Europe - Russia - is alive, that threat is never out of the picture.
You are tripping Erasure. There is no ghost of communism wandering the earth. Countries like Soviet Union, Kambodia, North Korea discredited Communism once and for all, even though they had nothing to do with what that senile idiot Marx proposed which was "classless and stateless society". No normal person wants to live in a totalitarian country with censorship and lack of basic personal freedoms which Europe and the entire free world, holds dear. Then again, Russians never seemed normal to anybody.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
You extracted such a pearl of knowledge from your Scientific Marxism classes? When I'm somewhat drunk, I love to read Communist history textbooks in which they apply Dialectical Materialism, I do admire the writers of such books, they could figure out in the list of famous Russian Sci-Fi writers. By the way, what happened to Russian Sci-Fi?

They should have written such books following the format of Nu pogodi cartoons, the hare would be the wise proletariat and the wolf, the plusvalue accumulating monster!!!
Good one!

Old 09-06-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
Actually it did. One of the Calvinist beliefs was that worldly success was a sign that one was favored by God and therefore among the elect. So they had plenty of incentive to work hard. (Max Weber's "Protestant work ethic")
That was my understanding. ( Thanks for confirming it.)

Old 09-06-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Ruth I meant in Europe of course.
That Russia ( out of all countries in Europe) originally shares similarities with Native Indians ( or other indigenous people,) in spite of undeniably European train of thought behind her philosophy, art and literature, might shed a light why a big part of her population was kept in slavery for long time ( I am talking serfdom of course, which has been abolished at the same time as slavery in the US by the way. (I don't think it's a coincidence.) Remember that Indians ( whose origins and cultures goes back god knows when,) and who clearly share something in common with Russian "mir" were simply removed from the face of the Earth, in order to give space for people with different set of ideas ( I am talking Anglo-Saxons at this point.)

Of course not, but the ground for it was already there in Russia more than in any other European country.

Absolutely, and a lot of tragedies. However in retrospective we need to look how crucial it was for the whole implementation of new ideas in such illiterate, poor, and predominantly agrarian country that Russia was at that time. ( I just don't have time to expand this subject more for the moment being, sorry )

No doubt about it. There was something undeniably false and crude about all their theories ( I am not talking Marx - I'm not even all that familiar with his writings, lol) but I am talking Lenin and the whole bunch of Russian revolutionaries. In fact I thought that they were so wrong, that I didn't even bother to "listen" to any of them. I still have very vague ideas about who Trotsky was or what was his deal, or why Kirov was assassinated. The fact that my grand-mother was allergic to any Soviet propaganda and the TV was going off as soon as one of those revolutionary movie would come up, didn't help it much either)))
One of the biggest crimes of communism, one that will haund Russia for quite some time, is the fact that Russian intelligentis have been murdered and replaced with "new communist intellegentsia" borne out of the working class and with no intellectual traditions. This new class although often opposing communism on intellectual grounds never forget which political movement gave her a chance to exist, this new Russian intelligentsia will remain loyal to communism and its ideas as long as it exists.

You are a prime example of this Erasure. Even though you think you reject communism and its propaganda you still repeat a lots of its claims like for instance the avantgarde role of Russia in the world or antagonistic attitude of the entire world toward Russia. Communists used these concepts to keep Russian complacent, Russians were fed stories about the outside world being hostile to Russia so they would feel thankful for Comrade Stalin or Brezhnev for keeping Russia despite international hostility. Communists made Russians believe that Soviet union was leading in art, science and culture all of it of course because of leadership of the party.
You may not realize but you still repeat these claims.

Now go back to finding similarities between American Indians and ancient Russians

Old 09-06-2012, 09:48 AM

272 posts, read 907,407 times
Quote:
Can you please contribute something original and interesting to this thread, instead of mundane drivel?
Thanks in advance, that would be much appreciated, otherwise I don't see any reason to comment on your posts in the future.

Somebody that says that Stalin did not commit a holocaust is a negacionist that should be in jail were he in a democratic country.

Last edited by Pizarro; 09-06-2012 at 09:57 AM..

Old 09-06-2012, 09:56 AM

272 posts, read 907,407 times
One of the biggest crimes of communism, one that will haund Russia for quite some time, is the fact that Russian intelligentis have been murdered and replaced with "new communist intellegentsia" borne out of the working class and with no intellectual traditions. This new class although often opposing communism on intellectual grounds never forget which political movement gave her a chance to exist, this new Russian intelligentsia will remain loyal to communism and its ideas as long as it exists.

Rebel

If you dig in the past of apparatchniks and technocrats of the old USSR, you will not find much working class there. I mean, their grandparents were not peasants or proletarians, but "petit bourgeois", "bourgeois" or professionals. There were many campaigns against people with a bourgeois family, a bourgeois background, but they needed them and they survived and they placed their offsprings in top positions. I do not think that those people were ever communist, just survivors.

The "new class" that is faithful to communism is not "new class" today, they might had a Volga 40 years ago, but now are poor as rats. The New Class from now is faithful to Putin.

Last edited by Pizarro; 09-06-2012 at 10:07 AM..

Old 09-06-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
One of the biggest crimes of communism, one that will haund Russia for quite some time, is the fact that Russian intelligentis have been murdered and replaced with "new communist intellegentsia" borne out of the working class and with no intellectual traditions.
Says who, one of the most ignorant people on this forum?
Instead of repeating Hitler's propaganda and shedding crocodile tears, educate yourself on what Russian intelligentsia is;

A little Q&A sessions on the Bolsheviks prior, during, after the October Revolution

This wil explain to you why Russian intelligentsia could never be completely eradicated, but only partially replaced.

Quote:
Now go back to finding similarities between American Indians and ancient Russians
Since you know nothing about either of them, the findings wouldn't do you any good. So quit worrying about it, pospone this lesson till I have more time.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Somebody that says that Stalin did not commit a holocaust is a negacionist that should be in jail were he in a democratic country.
...and you are on the wrong thread all together)))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History