Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2012, 12:18 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I'm curious as to what daily life was like during this time period (roughly 1975-1984). Reading through various threads on this forum and hearing stories from relatives, I have this general image in my head, i.e., clunkier cars, lots of smoking, children always playing outside, going out to dinner was a rare treat, colorful appliances and interior decorating, etc. I knew smoking was allowed in restaurants (heck, the ban is relatively recent), but I was surprised to read that people also smoked in the grocery store. Overall it seems like it was a less sterile, dirtier, grittier time compared to the present. I mean that literally and metaphorically. How did the food taste? Was it better, worse, or on par with today? Did a cup of coffee or a cheeseburger in 1980 taste the same as it does in 2012? I'm especially interested in what was life was like in the early 80s since it doesn't seem to be discussed much for some reason. When did the 80s become distinct from the 70s? Was 1982 really that different from 1978? Was the disco era confined to the mid-to-late 70s or was there any spill over into the early 80s? I understand this was a rough time economically with high unemployment, inflation, etc. What was it like when the economy came roaring back (I ask that considering we're still in a malaise from the most recession)? Economically, politically, and culturally, how would you compare this time period in the US to the present?

I know this is a hodge-podge of both specific and broad questions, but I've been thinking about this for a while and would like to hear your thoughts.
wow,lots of questions and lots of answers: For us, it was pretty much what you are saying and yes, different from today: In the seventies most homes still had only one family member working or working full time. Moms stayed home, did the housework, etc and we lived on one salary. We had just come into the age of 2 cars per household. There were not nearly as many fast food chains and people didn't eat out as often as they do today. Yes, kids did play outside and they still rode bikes or walked to their friends houses a good part of the time.

By the time we got closer to the 80s, yes we had outrageous high inflation, but things like CDs were earning up to 11% or more interest and no, the unemployment rate wasn't really very high. By 1982 inflation started to slow a little, interest rates were starting down (slowly, I know, I was a real estate agent) and you saw many more young mothers working outside the home. Politically there wasn't a lot of differences from the late 70s to the 80s except, of course the election of Reagan and the dimise of Carter, who was very unpopular. He is probably better liked now than he was when he was the leader of the country..

Football was beginning to replace Baseball as the nations game or it appeared anyway. The days of huge sports contracts were barely starting compared to today. Professional sports were not controled in anyway by unions.

Now, here is how I would compare the era you are talking about with today: economically we were much better off than now: We didn't have nearly as many living off the government and those who did, were, more times than not attempting to get their lives together. Although almost all adults and teens smoked, drugs and alcohol were not as common as today, especially with the under 21 group.Politically, Reagan made us proud to be Americans and you saw more outward signs of patriotism, he stood up to communism as well. As for culturally, we are a much more diverse and accepting country now, which is one of the few things that is better. Many of us have learned to accept people who believe differently from us or look different. I suppose I could write a book on the changes in the past 40 years but it would get pretty boring I am sure.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:13 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,420,743 times
I want to add a little more, this time regarding job searching and apartments. I graduated from college in 1978 with an English degree and a teaching certificate for grades 7 through 12. The elementary ed department at my college actively helped place teachers but you were pretty much on your own for secondary ed.

We graduated on Mother's Day Weekend. I was advised to contact various school systems and fill out applications. I completed applications for counties in metro Atlanta and then spent one day going to several central offices in northwest Georgia. By July 5 I had a signed contract with Whitfield County Schools. Imagine that . . . less than two months and paper applications!

I shared my first apartment with a sorority sister. It's been so long that I don't remember exactly how we hooked up after school was out. I believe that the college had her contact me. It seems like they kept a list of where new teachers were placed. We had a lovely two bedroom apartment that was next to the complex swimming pool.

My apartment mate taught elementary ed about 30 minutes away and decided to move into that town. I moved into a one bedroom apartment that I absolutely loved. It had a big kitchen with a bar, lots of cabinets and a washer and dryer. I remember that you walked through the laundry area to the bathroom. I was so proud of the washer and dryer. After the dorm laundry and the laundry room at the other apartment it was heaven. I washed clothes every day! I also remember having a self cleaning oven. This was a new complex and I was living well!

Old 10-12-2012, 05:13 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I remember (mid 70s) in grammar school on Wed we had 1 hour of Bible Study.. yep we studied the Bible for 1 hour on Wed in a PUBLIC SCHOOL! THE HORRORS!
We also said the Lord's Prayer ever day before we went off to lunch.
I attended school in Southern Calif from the late fifties to early seventies and was never subjected to that. That type of instruction was left up to churches, thankfully. No organized prayer either, even before the Murray v. Curlett ruling in 1963.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:04 PM

311 posts, read 467,341 times
WOW..some great posts..I graduated from HS in 1972. I had forgotten alot of the things mentioned. Miniskirts, bellbottoms,gas lines, NO cellphones, smoking everywhere, better tv shows. Airports were totally different. The most modern thing I had was a manual typewriter.
Lunch at school, went like this, 4 choices..bring your own..Hot meal...cold sandwich..or go without any lunch!!! No need to have the selection that is offered now. Well, now I really feel my age!!

Old 10-12-2012, 06:07 PM

45,380 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flower54 View Post
WOW..some great posts..I graduated from HS in 1972. I had forgotten alot of the things mentioned. Miniskirts, bellbottoms,gas lines, NO cellphones, smoking everywhere, better tv shows. Airports were totally different. The most modern thing I had was a manual typewriter.
Lunch at school, went like this, 4 choices..bring your own..Hot meal...cold sandwich..or go without any lunch!!! No need to have the selection that is offered now. Well, now I really feel my age!!
Just had our 40th reunion two weeks ago. Damn there were a lot of old people there.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:50 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedarko View Post
We had archery in gym class in Montana as late as 2000!
The only time I have ever shot a shotgun was at school in 1972. We had a chance to do clay pigeon shooting in gym class on the baseball field behind the high school. I only got one shot and hit the clay pigeon. I remember taking my new 22 rifle to school in 6th grade in 1966 for show and tell at Christmas.

I don't ever remember being told that we were not allowed to carry a pocket knife to school.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:06 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I remember (mid 70s) in grammar school on Wed we had 1 hour of Bible Study.. yep we studied the Bible for 1 hour on Wed in a PUBLIC SCHOOL! THE HORRORS!
Are you sure about the 1970s? Abington School District v. Schempp (1963), held that Bible readings and other (state) school-sponsored religious activities were prohibited. I have wondered about that because I can remember reading the bible and saying the Lord's Prayer in public school every day until 1966 when I was in 5th grade.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:09 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I don't understand. Isn't that what kitchens look like now?
Ummm - only if your kitchen is VERY outdated!

I was born in 1976 myself, so I only have scattered & childhood-type memories from that era. I do remember the shag carpeting, and the over-abundance of earth-tone colors - particularly those terrible yellow appliances (called something like marigold or sunset?). Oh boy, I'll have to pull up some old photos and post them for ya.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:45 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,799,529 times
Originally Posted by mco65
Quote:
I went to a public high school 1964-69 in Pennsylvania. There were no prayers.
Of course, Abington was next door.
Quote:
Abington School District v. Schempp (1963)

Old 10-13-2012, 05:58 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,799,529 times
Quote:
There weren't many fat people in the 70's or early '80's. Looking back at school pictures, the couple of kids we thought were fat or chunky, would be normal or even slim by today's standards. We were all pretty skinny.
??????????
Girls weren't as obsessed with being skinny as they are today. Sure, they wanted to be slim, but I can remember the girls in the dorm in the early 70's cracking jokes about some really skinny girls. These girls would not be considered ugly and skinny today.
Sure there were fat people, but most people didn't pay much attention or make remarks about it like they do now. Kids on the other hand - but then kids have always tended to be mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History