Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2012, 11:35 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Haha - I heard this plenty of times when I was growing up in the 70's.
I guess with youth everything is beautiful....get a little older and it's no longer the 70s ...in the seventies I cold pick up a hot chick or two a day...I still feel 25 but the rest of the world does not seem to think so....it is just such a disappointment when you get old...no more romance and even the estranged old wife turns me down.....oh to be young again....to be in love- to have passion...it is true..."Youth is wasted on the young"......Another thing...If I would have known back then that the majority of humanity was stupid- I would have taken all their money instead of being fair.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:08 AM

229 posts, read 423,918 times
I was quite young at that time, but I can say my parents smoked, but most of my friends parents didn't.
We had the "avocado green" kitchen complete w/green wallpaper w/velvet accents!! A guest room done in purple velvet! Master bdrm, red!! Red carpet and the same velvet accent wallpaper as kitchen but in red. Black living room furniture. The ugliest carpet ever. It was this really ugly almost non-color. I guess kinda like when you mix all colors together. To really set if off, there were little patches that had multiple colors. Let's not forget the wood paneling! Hideous.
I guess it was around the mid-80's my mom redid the house in more neutral colors. Never did get rid of the paneling.
We were outside all the time. I'm not sure if there were laws in place, but we were home alone at quite a young age. No one called the cops.
I was a kid, so don't know much about the financial situation, but I know I could go to Winn's (a 5 & dime-kinda a mini walmart) w/even a quarter and actually get a number of things. IO remember pieces of gum for 3 cents I believe. Stuff like that. If you had a whole dollar or something, you could just go crazy. I think my teeth have paid the price for that!!
My dad had a Nova and a Charger at one time, but we ended up w/a 78 celica and I think an 80? civic hatchback. Guess the gas was pretty crazy.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:07 AM

167 posts, read 278,270 times
I remember graduating in 1975 with 9.4 % unemployment, run away inflation rates 8-10% and huge interest rates. The arab oil embargo was hitting hard, gas lines were long and you could only buy on certain days, odd or even, based on your last licence plate number.You got a job by knowing someone who worked in the company or a friend of someone who worked in the company. There was much more person to person contact, both in business and at home. Generally there was one phone and one TV per household. Long Playing music records(LP's) were the fad and you could buy an music album for about $3-5 and played it on a turn table that was plugged into a seperate amplifier attached to big speakers.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:15 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,670,074 times
I grew up in the 70s and 80s. I remember when I was about 4 years old we lived in a house with shag carpeting -- gold, red, and blue. We had ugly cars -- a yellow Dodge Dart, and then a purple Plymouth Volare station wagon. Money was very tight but my brother and I didn't know it, except when I got to be in 5th-6th grade and was embarrassed to wear Toughskins pants and Trax sneakers from Sears.

I know people smoked a lot, and my parents both smoked. I used to go into the convenience store and pick up a pack for my dad, must have been around 10 years old?

We did play a lot outside. We walked by ourselves all around at a young age.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:36 AM

229 posts, read 423,918 times
We didn't have much around as far as restaurants. We did have a Dairy Queen nearby and that was always a treat!! Happy meals ruled!! I also remember my mother sending me to the grocery store w/a check and a permission slip to get her a carton of cigarettes on a regular basis. I'm not sure how old I was. Maybe 8 yrs old. No one at the store batted an eye. Reminded me of the "blue laws". Those were laws in Texas where I guess basically you could only buy food on Sun. I remember going to the store and wanting some thongs (this is what we called flip flops then) but parts of the store were roped off cuz it was Sun. I was not happy. I'm soooo happy they finally got rid of those laws. I wonder if any other states had silly laws like that in the 1970's. I guess I could see the 1870's, but dang.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:16 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,877,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgauchsin View Post
Mine too and they did not get rid of it until the late 80s. I also remember my pediatrician smoking in his office.
I went to Catholic HS, and we also had a smoking section...the blacktop outside. And yeah, our doctor also smoked in his office.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:20 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,877,383 times
Blue laws were also prevelant in NJ...no clothes shopping on Sunday.....

Old 10-21-2012, 05:04 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,421,375 times
Oh, I had forgot about the blue laws. I'll have to think when they changed (I lived in Georgia). I know the mall was open on Sunday by 1979 but it didn't open until twelve or one.

Also, at some point in the early 80s certain parts of Atlanta served alcohol on Sundays and some didn't. I lived in Cobb County, which didn't, and we would go to Fulton County, which did, to watch football games.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:48 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,770,541 times
Growing up in 70's was great. We lived on a 3000 acre ranch and went exploring every day. Would be gone for hours and when needed back home Dad would honk truck horn. We lived in a canyon so horn echoed.

Rode bicycles alot and soon came used motorcycles. If you broke it and cost to much to repair you did not get another one. So ours lasted for yrs. Total of 5 dirt bikes, 1 Goldwing and 2 Yamaha snowmobiles.

Parents would take up to 2 weeks on motorcycle trips all over country and us kids, ages 8yrs to 16, 4 of us, were left alone the whole time. Unheard of today.

One time late at night we heard a roar of engines coming down driveway,( 1 mile long) and we came out on porch with shotgun in hand and ended up a bunch of neighbors coming to see if we were okay. They were not worried after that.

My nieces and nephews don't have many memories like we did cause they always played video games. I like my memories better and would not trade for anything to grow up different.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:37 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,753,765 times
... odd/even license plate gas days & gas lines during the gas crisis of the 70's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History